PDA

View Full Version : ECU Harness conversion

JiP
04-27-2004, 07:29 PM
I temporarily posted the site up here:

http://jipownz.topcities.com/ecuswap.htm ('http://jipownz.topcities.com/ecuswap.htm')

If anyones intrerested in running the 2g turbo ecu on their SOHC head I'm sellin my distributer setup, not the just the cap, but the whole thing that slides into the head. Its already been modified for the 2g turbo ecu. Ran it for a good 5 months before doing the full headswap.

sethmo
04-27-2004, 08:34 PM
This is pretty much the same thing needed to be done for a 2g ecu in a 1g 4g63t with a galant harness?

JiP
04-27-2004, 08:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sethmo)</div><div class='quotemain'>This is pretty much the same thing needed to be done for a 2g ecu in a 1g 4g63t with a galant harness?</div>

Say what? Your putting a 2g ecu into a 1g eclipse using a galant harness? If so yes that info is what you need. If you mean installing a 1g ecu using a galant harness its not possible. different ecu connectors.

People may think its easier to just swap the entire engine harness out, but just ask moosh. Your in for more work doing that compare to converting your galant harness. A lot of connectors on fusebox dont match up and not only do you have to do all the manual labor of pulling seats out and what not to get the engine harness out and the new one in, your still going to have to do some custom wiring to get the new harness to match up correctly.

sabzi5858
05-17-2004, 08:40 PM
crap crap crap!! i went to the yard and got a '95 S galant harness, and it has 6 yellow connectors instead of 4! and none of them fit in the smallest port on the '95 ECU!! man, this sucks ass. i gues this harness is from an auto, i should have looked at it more carefully before buying it. man, i may have wasted $100 for nothing now :evil:

sabzi5858
05-17-2004, 09:12 PM
okay, so it looks like the '95 galant (maybe pre-cutoff date) only has 3 connectors for the ecu, this is just great. i guess i will have to see if i can buy just the fourth connector from another car that has a harness which is already hacked up. and then i will have to rewire pretty much everything. damnit, why do i always have to do things the hard way? :cry:

JiP
05-18-2004, 01:00 AM
What are you doing?

sabzi5858
05-18-2004, 01:29 AM
trying to hack a galant harness to hook up to a '95 ECU w.DSMlink...

i was looking at your tutorial, you said to switch some of the injector wires, and i was just wondering why? the diagrams i looked at show that the order is the same on both engines? with cylinder 1 being closest to the timing belt.

i also noticed you said to move the white wire from pin 31 to pin 58. i have a black/blue wire in pin 31, and the wiring diagram i have doesn't show the sohc engine having anything at pin 31. it does show the galant GS having a wire there for the tach though.

another thing i noticed, on this harness, the injector connectors have squeeze clips to release them, but the 1g harness, and my stock 7g harness both had little metal clips that you had to pry out to remove the injectors. this is pissing me off, this harness doesn't look right at all. if i can't figure this out, i'm going to have to check for continuity of each wire, and basically rewire the ecu pinouts one pin at a time, which i obviously don't want to do.

btw, would anyone happen to have the 2g wiring harness diagrams that they wouldn't mind sending me? i had the dsm manual backup cd, but apparently it has been lost (i turned my house and car upside down trying to find the damn thing :evil: ). i really don't want to buy another one without looking longer, but i really need the diagrams immediately, i need to get my car tuned right, which just isn't gonna happen on its current setup. and the gas mileage is killing my wallet, esp. having to run 95 octane.

JiP
05-18-2004, 01:26 PM
The galant tach signal wire is pin 31. Atleast for the 97,98 and that needs to move to pin 58 for the 2g ecu. And the injectors were swapped becuase I swapped plugs. But if you wanna know the truth it didnt change a damn thing so it doesnt really matter as far as I can tell. If you think about it and get down to the details about firing order and the number of milliseconds etc etc its important..but I probably had to swap coil plugs cause I wired them backwards lol, cause I am using a 2g ecu, and a 97+ cam sensor so they should be matching parts.

As far as the wiring diagrams go, I have the ones for 98 wich are the same for 96-2000...Anything out of that I have no idea, chiltons says you only have 3 plugs not 4 and your wiring is totaly different then 96-2k.

INJECTOR CLIPS: Mine have squeeze clips, the 98 have squeeze clips, the stupid TPS sensor has the metal clips. Your much better off in life with squeeze clips then those bitch to remove metal clips. As far as I can tell you have a 94? If so, 94 from what I can tell from schematics is like really a 6g when it comes to electronics, but a 7g for engine/style.

sabzi5858
05-18-2004, 02:04 PM
yep, borrowed the chilton's today, shure enough, it's a 94, 3 plug ecu harness, and whacked out wiring, this sucks. i got the missing connector from the junk yard, and will spend today, and maybe tomorrow completely redoing the wiring. i don't know if this damn harness even has a tach signal in it, it doesn't seem like it lol the injector squeeze clips are nice, i was just noting that it was different than my car. the damn people said it was a '95, i should have paid more attention.

so let the people know, the '94 wiring harness only has 3 ecu connectors and sucks!!

JiP
05-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Dude, unfortunetly Chiltons isnt gona be the best tool for you. Their schematics are limited, they do not show ALL the information, and for all years they do not show the tach signal wire. Gonna have to find someone with manualcd 94 schematics. Or get our your multimeter and start tracing lines...not fun.

sabzi5858
05-18-2004, 11:51 PM
well, i already bought manualcd, but i can't find it, and i don't wanna pay $30 for something i know is somewhere in the house lol man, this sucks!

on the brighter side, i have most of the ecu side done. just gotta figure out which connectors need to be swapped now, and send a few extra wires for crap like the alternator

just looked at a scan of the factory manual, and no reference to the tach signal on the '94. it's as if the damn ecu doesn't care what the rpms are?!? well, there was a reference to the tach signal on the DOHC at pin 31 sure enough, but the SOHC has nothing there. this blows. guess i'll just have to run yet another wire.

Moosh
05-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Hey Sabzi (means spinach in farsi). Go on my webpage

http://home.comcast.net/~lordmoosh/ ('http://home.comcast.net/~lordmoosh/')

At the top there is a link to the Mitsubishi Eclipse 2.0 Turbo, 2.4 Liter non turbo wiring diagrams. They are perfect diagrams not crappy like Chiltons. The colors will not match yours because they are 1998 but atleast you will have an idea which pin they come from.

Also, a person with a 1994 Galant GS named Nathan rewired his three connector harness to work with a 2G turbo ECU. I would talk to him as he has already done it.

You can find him here:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/4G64/ ('http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/4G64/')

Just make a post with saying "Nate help me" in the topic and he will find it.

phizz2k
06-14-2004, 09:54 AM
hey moosh can you go turbo with the ecu you have now or do you have to switch it out.

JiP
06-15-2004, 12:17 AM
hey moosh can you go turbo with the ecu you have now or do you have to switch it out.

he *WAS* using a spyder ecu and its not a good idea to turbo with that since it has no knock capability. However, using the spyder ecu in a galant means the harness was already rewired and the cam, coilpacks, etc have all been installed already so all you have to do is pop in a 2g turbo ecu and wire the knock sensor and your all set to go.

Unfortunetly Moosh's car again had major problems with the headswap and he swapped back to complete stock including ecu, but the car is still dead.

paulbunyan
06-15-2004, 12:38 PM

he *WAS* using a spyder ecu and its not a good idea to turbo with that since it has no knock capability. However, using the spyder ecu in a galant means the harness was already rewired and the cam, coilpacks, etc have all been installed already so all you have to do is pop in a 2g turbo ecu and wire the knock sensor and your all set to go.

Unfortunetly Moosh's car again had major problems with the headswap and he swapped back to complete stock including ecu, but the car is still dead.
What problems did he have? Just so I know what NOT to do :-)