PDA

View Full Version : Tune-up?

mike969mb
05-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Okay my car is at 29,6xx miles, and am about to go in for 30,000 miles within the next two weeks or so. BUt to try and knock some money off of the 30k service i want to try to do the tune-up. I know it shouldn't be hard and gonna have a friend help but he's really only experienced on honda's.

At 30k should i change the wires as well as the plugs?

Can someone give me more or less detail instructions, i know we have two coil packs or something on the I4's, which is what i have by the way.

Thanks any help is appreciated,
Mike

pinoyesv6
05-02-2004, 07:43 PM
30k miles...

change oil and filter.
change air filter.
check brakes
check hoses and stuff
change the coolant
check atf fluid (i changed mine)
and change the spark plugs.

most of that you can do yourself. changing the coolant and the atf fluid can be done at home too but it can get really messy.

first of all, your car has four spark plugs. two of them you can see. they have a wire going to them. the other two are under the coil packs. remove the coil packs and you'll get to the two last spark plugs

mike969mb
05-02-2004, 10:22 PM
So what about wires? when do you change them?

And how hard is it really to change the atf? thats the same as transaxle fluid or w/e the owners manual says right?

I already did the oil and radiator. So basically all that stuff runs me close to 300 or so. They really make some moneys those garages.

Mike

Thanks for all the help

pinoyesv6
05-02-2004, 10:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike969mb)</div><div class='quotemain'>So what about wires? when do you change them?

And how hard is it really to change the atf? thats the same as transaxle fluid or w/e the owners manual says right?

I already did the oil and radiator. So basically all that stuff runs me close to 300 or so. They really make some moneys those garages. Â*

Mike

Thanks for all the help</div>

the owners manual says 60k for the spark plug wires. but for an i4, if u want to change them you can go ahead since its not as hard as the v6's.

atf is the same as transaxle fluid. but yea, i used like 10 quarts of fluid and at 8 dollars a bottle. i know some dealers peopel say they charge only 100 to change with fluid and i think thats a great deal. but yea you can do it yourself. i just say its messy since you also flush out the tranny cooler and the lines and if you do it for the first time, chances are you're gonna get the oil not in the container but all over your driveway like me.

mike969mb
05-05-2004, 03:15 PM
The changing of the sparks was so simple it blew my mind when my friend was doing it, from now on i'm doing my own and my ex's when hers gets to 30k soon. I always experiment on my car and than do the work on hers. Whoever had it before me used champion plugs i went and put the standard ngk v-power ones i got from discount/advance auto parts. And with the money i saved over 40 some dollars, i decided to buy an k and n filter, since it pays for it self. One filter good for 50k miles before cleaning and even cleaning is 10 dollars and thats a few cleanings.

I still left the transaxle fluid to the dealer since it has to be flushed or what not.

Next up is to learn to do the oil change so i can use teh 20 dollars i save towards using a better oil filter like a mobil 1, amsoil or k&n. Which i'm sure is a breeze, just need to locate the plug.

Thanks for everyones help.
Mike

Djayfusion99_es_v6
05-08-2004, 02:58 AM
dunno if its like the v6 but the plug is located by right half shaft closer to the flex pipe... man so hard to describe where it might be just look for the oil pan and thats it. should be on the opposite side of the trans i know that s for shure. as for the filter that is right by the header near the front of the car could be the same on an I4 or a v6. btw they have k&n oil must be new...

-peace out
djf

mike969mb
05-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the help always appreciated.

Mike

mike969mb
05-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the help always appreciated.

Mike