PDA

View Full Version : Galant keeps cutting out!!!

silver2k2
09-24-2002, 04:55 PM
A couple of months ago I had a stereo installed. After that when I turn my car on it won't idle right the rpms keep dropping down real low and cuts out sometimes. I had the battery and alternator checked and they were good. I've changed the spark plugs and got an oil change and a new oil filter so if this has happened to your car or if you have info let me know. Also my check engine light came on right after the stereo was installed.

Fishboy55
09-24-2002, 05:27 PM
Well first I was going to tell you to clean your throttle body. But if the SES light came on right after the stereo was put in, it sounds like something else. Go to Autozone and pull the OBD code and see what it's telling you. It's hard to say what it could be without the code. Course you could always go back to whoever installed the stereo and tell them they screwed up your car. But that's not going to help much. Have you tried disconnecting the stereo to see if the idle gets better?

Chip

pinoyesv6
09-24-2002, 06:18 PM
is your lighting being affected in anyway? what kind of stereo install was it. was it a full system or just a head unit. check to see that all your wires in the car and in the engine bay are all tight and none of the wires or anything is maybe pinching one of the hoses or made one of the wires loose

BlueESV6
09-24-2002, 07:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well first I was going to tell you to clean your throttle body. But if the SES light came on right after the stereo was put in, it sounds like something else...</div>

I'll still say clean the TB. It's worth a try for a $2 can of carb cleaner. Mine was doing wierd things also just after I changed the battery (idling funny, dying) ... I cleaned the TB and it all went away!

But, like Chip said go get the code checked also....

silver2k2
09-24-2002, 08:26 PM
thanks for the info. Also I put in a whole system a kenwood deck and 2 12" subs and a 450 watt amp. I would take the car to autozone but I'm stationed over in Germany so I have to make all repairs myself. And thanks to wonderful mitsubishi my warranty is void at only 17,000 miles on a '02. They must of thought it was my choice to come over here or something.

pinoyesv6
09-24-2002, 08:30 PM
yea check your power wires, the ground and all that good stuff.

pinoyesv6
09-29-2002, 05:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MIKEYBKLYN)</div><div class='quotemain'>where exactly is the throttle body and how exactly do i clean it?</div>

first of all for the cleaning. go to the auto parts store and pick up a can of throttle body cleaner. and yea follow the directions on the bottle. as for where the throttle body is. find ur intake pipe and follow it all the way up to where it meets the motor. thats the throttle body. on the other side of the TB there should be some cable, thats the throttle cable.

BGR
09-29-2002, 06:07 PM
If your check engine light is still on, disconnect the negative battery wired so your ECU can be reset. I've had similar (but felt worse) problems with my intake (Both Flip box mod and my new CAI) taking in too much air and my engine couldn't handle it and the ECU was all messed up. The first time I disconnected it for 3 hours and the check engine light came back on. The next night I kept the negative wire disconnected for about 12 hours, then I reconnected it. I haven't had a problem since.

silver2k2
10-01-2002, 08:05 AM
alright I went to a mitsubishi dealer here in Germany and they ran the diagnostic they said it was the ignitions system could that still be the throttle body needs to be clean? They wouldn't tell me what they think it is they wanted me to leave my car there for a week and they will just start swapping out parts. $#@k that they wouldn't even give me an estimate of how much it would cost.

pinoyesv6
10-01-2002, 08:14 AM
alright I went to a mitsubishi dealer here in Germany and they ran the diagnostic they said it was the ignitions system could that still be the throttle body needs to be clean? They wouldn't tell me what they think it is they wanted me to leave my car there for a week and they will just start swapping out parts. $#@k that they wouldn't even give me an estimate of how much it would cost.

i'd still clean out the throttle body. it doesn't really hurt your car if you do it correctly. i mean a can of throttle body cleaners is like 2 dollars, compared to the dealer swapping out random parts, the 2 dollars doesn't seem that much

sugafooted GTZ
10-03-2002, 07:45 PM
man my car keeps cutting out too
i just got my oil changed and like 2 days later it started dying
i mean about 3 times a mile
sucks
any suggestions other than carb cleanin
i did that
help please

TJC
10-03-2002, 08:10 PM
I doubt that this would be your problem but here is my experience in dying engine anyway. My ride died completely but traced it to shorting extended wires from my O2 sensors that were relocated. It blew my fuse so that was an easy sign.

Now you say after stereo install. First thing I'd do is disconnect fuses to the entire stereo system, H/U, amps, everything. If this fixes the problem, I'd look into the install in detail... especially where they tap the power from and whether the units are grounded good.

This leads me to ask you about the often overlooked too. MAKE SURE your battery connectors are on really tight and your engine ground is also tight.

Good luck.

silver2k2
10-04-2002, 05:40 AM
alright I got another diagnostic and got the failure codes and called a dealership back home in CA and found out that I have a random misfire (PO300), and something with the O2 sensor I can't remember the code for this one so if anyone knows any info about the O2 sensor and what it may be and why my cars misfiring please let me know, and how serious is it will it leave me stranded somewhere.

99BabyBenz-aka Herb
10-05-2002, 09:12 AM
Ok i had the same prob. after disconnecting the battery one day after that it couldnt hold idle , tried TB cleaner didnt work for me so my dad took it to the dealer they had to reset the computer system. reason: i disconnected the battery to long and the memory system lost its memory and reset as if the car was brand new .. thats what the dealer said. anyhow it cost me $25 bucks and no prob since. 8)