View Full Version : Need to wire up spoiler LED...how?

akiraflux
05-30-2004, 09:28 AM
I'll fully admit i'm a moron when it comes to electrical wiring n stuff. basically utah laws prohibit tint over your 3rd brake light so i gotta hook up my spoiler LED by the end of the month (tomorrow!)

what do i tap into? where's the easiest place to run the wires to?

quicksilver22
05-30-2004, 12:25 PM
the guy who installed my spoiler, I think he tapped into my actual 3rd brake light wiring, it's not too hard to do...

good luck w/ it though!

akiraflux
05-30-2004, 01:50 PM
yah i just bought a voltage tester and checked every wire till i found the right one. friend dropped a spoiler screw into my trunk https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif now i gotta go buy a magnet and try to get that bitch out

peanotation
05-30-2004, 02:09 PM
yeah, just tap into the ground and positive of your third brake light cable. also, make sure to disconnect the OEM third brake light so you don't over load the wiring and have two third brake lights.

pinoyesv6
05-30-2004, 02:23 PM
if its just an led spoiler, he won't overload the wiring. led's draw so little current.

another place you can tap for a brake line is for the wiring for the left hand tail light. ground, you can ground anywhere but you just gotta figure out which one is the one for the brake light. the 3rd brake light is good but i just hate working upside down.

akiraflux
05-30-2004, 04:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>if its just an led spoiler, he won't overload the wiring. led's draw so little current. Â*

another place you can tap Â*for a brake line is for the wiring for the left hand tail light. ground, you can ground anywhere but you just gotta figure out which one is the one for the brake light. the 3rd brake light is good but i just hate working upside down.</div>

s'what i did. unplugged left brake harness and just tested each socket till i found the right one. tapped into that one. i'll probably yank the bulb outta my 3rd brake light this week cuz it does look kind stoopit.

quicksilver22
05-30-2004, 05:05 PM
yeah, i have two 3rd brake lights, i like it, gieves other drivers a bit of an extra warning too......