PDA

View Full Version : Custom Molded Dash (S7 gauges)

ChikagoGTZ
06-05-2004, 08:57 AM
I molded this over the last few nights. Lemme know what you guys think.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/7/web/403000-403999/403047_2_full.jpg

Heres a little tutorial I made....

it was pretty damn easy, here is what I did:

1) I cut a piece of foam and shaped it to fit exactly inside the top slot, this would be my backing for the fiberglass.

2) Sanded the area where the fiberglass would be laid with 100 grit sandpaper, this allows a good bond.

3) Added a layer of resin, a layer of fiberglass, a layer of resin, a layer of fiberglass and a thin layer of resin. Let this cure overnight.

4) I sanded the mofo down till it was a continuous piece with no visible seams. I suggest a small palm sander for this with heavy grit paper....

5) Using a 2 1/8 hole saw I cut the pods out, the FG and bondo cut easy, dont press too hard when drilling, let the saw do the work.

6) added thin layer of bondo to smooth out any imperfections and shaped it to match the curve of the trim. Again after this dried overnight I sanded the whole thing like a mofo. I used 220, 320, 400, 500, and 600 grit sandpaper to get it glass smooth.

7) Add a thin layer of primer, let it dry for 2 hours, add another heavier layer of primer. Let dry for 2 hours, sand smooth with 500 and 600 grit paper.

8 )Added Krylon Fusion paint, thin layer, waited 1 hour, another thin layer, waited 1 hour, heavier layer, waited 2 hours, heavier layer, waited 2 hours, thin layer to get a smooth finish I dont remember how many layers I did, quite a few though. No sanding!

9) After 3 hours I added a coat of Krylon satin clearcoat, waited overnight, then added another layer, waited 2 hours, final smooth layer. Dried overnight.

10) I'm holding the gauges temporarily with rubberbands behind them, when I get everything wired I'm gonna just tack them in place with a little hot glue.

Also, I got a power inverter from AC (like the one for the overlays) that will power all 4 gauges when I am completed. The other two will be around my gauge trim.

IceDouTGaLanT
06-05-2004, 04:14 PM
hey thats some clean ass work, it looks great.

Thanks for the info on how to do it yourself, im gona try it.

Where can i buy fiberglass and resin?

pinoyesv6
06-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Where can i buy fiberglass and resin?

walmart auto parts stores, home depot, lowes, marine supply stores all sell fiberglass and resin.

mrjaydeeone
06-05-2004, 05:39 PM
those look like agx struts
and boxes
I saw the molded pics on GF
nice job on the molding

ChikagoGTZ
06-05-2004, 10:55 PM
I dunno, it's messed up, I see the right pic, but you guys do not....cardomain is messed up