PDA

View Full Version : Neon VS. LED kits

chbuzz
06-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Ok I know what neons like I had that on my eclipse but whats with the LED kits? Streetglow has them and there about $20-$30 more than neon kits? Whats the advantage why they more? I've never seen them and dont much about them so I was curious.

peanotation
06-06-2004, 10:00 PM
i dont know either, but assume that LEDs will last longer and be brighter. LED technology is pretty cool, super small light with super bright output. i'm curious too, anyone know?

quicksilver22
06-07-2004, 12:10 AM
from my reading, and somewhat extensive research....... haha ya right... i have concurred the conclusion of LED lighting out performing regular "neon tubes"

LED- smaller, not regular tubes, but generally about 3/4" wide and 1/2" thick, sometimes smaller, and is a little more durable than the circular tubing, because it is in a "rectangle" type shape... Yes, they do last longer, generally, i think, about 100,000 hrs. which is a hell of a long time Lighting is brighter, though it is more "directional," it is brighter..... pricing depends.... StreetGlow... Good company, but I think is overpriced. LiteGlow/ LowGlow/ Varad/ good LED companies for the underbody

Neon Tubing- A bit larger in size, a circular tube around an inch thick at times. not as durable as the LED "bars" because of size and them being suseptable to debris more.... Easier for moisture to get in and lifespan is shortened because of the "neon" current... a plus is that it shines multidirectional (in pretty much all directions.) so even flow is deff. there. StreetGlow, good but losing quality, liteglow and lowglow are all still good companies.....

that is what i have found, and what my opinion is on the two

another good thing about the LED's is the special effects that you can create with them, such as strobing, chasing, fades, multicolor on one bar, etc...; neon can do some of the same as well

i go for LED personally, except for interior, i'm all about streetglow interior, but in the exterior underbody standpoint, LED's all the way.....

Serstylz2
06-07-2004, 01:00 AM
My cousin has a LED underbody kit with about 8 different patterns including the pulse pattern like on NFSU and the LEDs are bright, you can easily see them during the day, and like that post said ^^ there they are directional so he can turn the housing to whichever direction he wants the LEDs to shine since he used zip ties to install them. Make sure you know everything you are getting with the LED kits tho, the one my cousin bought from ebay was the easiest thing in the world to install, all plug-and-play into a transmitter box, but even on his small Accord there was no place for all four neons to reach the box. He is now unable to use the back neon. All in all, I like the LED kits.

SilverDragonGTZ
06-08-2004, 08:29 PM
i have a blue underbody LED from PlasmaGlow...who brought led underbodies out first...or so im told...i got it from vanhorn1.com good price, fast shipping...and im very satisfied...more concentration of light under the car...brighter, but in more defined lines than a neon would be...like instead of a glow, you have 4 very bright lines under your car...unless you turn them a lil outward, then it becomes more of a glow cause it takes longer for the light to hit the ground...nice stuff...i like