PDA

View Full Version : CF Hood problems

Prophet
09-25-2002, 02:10 AM
Well I finally got my CF hood but I am having a few problems I am hoping you guys could help me with. During shipping the hood got damaged. Here are some pictures:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/outlawzcc2001/l...CF+hood&.view=t ('http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/outlawzcc2001/lst?.dir=/CF+hood&.view=t')

So my question is how the hell do I repair this. I am taking it to the body shop later this week but can anyone think of a way to help make it look better. I was thinking black nail polish and then run a clear coat over it as a temp. fix. Then I am going to have the body shop run about a 3/4 inch to a 1 inch paint around the edges to cover up the damage repair and to protect the front from rocks and such.

Jason

Fishboy55
09-25-2002, 06:30 AM
Why even screw with all that Jason? If it got damaged in shipping, the shipping company is responsible. You need to go to UPS or FedEx and file a claim for the damage. They're usually pretty good about covering it, but it will take a while. No matter what you do to that hood, the damage is going to show. I can't really tell what's wrong from the pics, but if it's enough to be noticeable, go back and file a claim.

Chip

pinoyesv6
09-25-2002, 06:49 AM
i'd go ahead anad claim it like chip said. if you are gonna get that thing repaired, chances are if you also want it to look good, its goona cost alot of money. u got nothing to lose. if they don't accept ur claim them i guess u shell out the money to get it repaired. if they do, u just saved u a couple hundred dollars...

BGR
09-25-2002, 07:26 AM
Man that is sad to hear bro, especially after you've been anticipating this thing for months. Have you talked with Andrew about this? Did he insure it? Because if it wasn't insured, I doubt the shipping company will give a hell about the damage. Not insured, sorry! Nothing we can do about it. Something to consider but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

(I'm a skeptic by nature. Always think the worst because there is nothing less, only good.)

Prophet
09-25-2002, 01:29 PM
I am sorry Gilhuly but I have to disagree. AK1 shipped my CF hood with some plain simple instructions on the box. There where big red arrows pointing where "up" was and not to lay the package flat. Someone also dropped the hood because of the damage on the side. There was black dust where someone layed it flat and the box was also screwed up. Which is why I checked the contents in the first place. In my opinion just because a company is "huge" does not make the company first rate. I will give you Wal Mart for example. The company is huge (Wal-Mart/Sams Club/and I forgot what it is called on the east coast) but show me a store that is clean, stocked, and has good customer service. K-mart used to be an example of this. Roadway is in my opnion a third rate company.

Jason

VegasMatt
09-25-2002, 01:40 PM
When I ordered my hood, they told me to inspect the hood for damage in front of the trucking company before I sign anything. If it was insured you should have no issues, I ship with roadway all the time with my work and they are a good shipping company. Just tell them the problems, they will check if it was insured and you can proceed from there. I believe Roadway has a minimum damage that they cover automatically if you ship with them, like under 250.00.

Matt

Prophet
09-26-2002, 01:53 AM
I am going to go to my friends shop tommorow and placing 1 inch vinyl over the edges to see what it will look like. Hpefilly it turns out. What I am also planning if worst comes to worse I am going to sell the hood for like $150 obo and get another one. If I do get another one I am going to VIS myself and get it put one.

VegasMatt do you also have a gap on your hood also and do you have any close up pictures of the fit.

Jason

pinoyesv6
09-26-2002, 11:49 AM
I am going to go to my friends shop tommorow and placing 1 inch vinyl over the edges to see what it will look like. Hpefilly it turns out. What I am also planning if worst comes to worse I am going to sell the hood for like $150 obo and get another one. If I do get another one I am going to VIS myself and get it put one.

VegasMatt do you also have a gap on your hood also and do you have any close up pictures of the fit.

Jason

you might want to cnosider getting it painted...for a more conservative look...or do that look matt was looking @, with the sides a different color...

Prophet
10-01-2002, 03:25 AM
Well I finally found a shop that is willing to work on a aftermarket hood. I go I in tommorow for the estimate. Hopefully they are able to repair the damage. They already told me they will not warranty the work but hopefully it all works out. At the very least I am hoping they will be able to repair the clear coat and they I am going to get it painted with a inch line around the edges.

Jason

BGR
10-01-2002, 10:14 PM
Not to get off topic but I thought Roadway was bought out by FedEX? At least here in Sacramento, Roadway was intergrated with FedEX and became the 'ground' service of FedEX, similar to UPS ground service. The vehicles are indicated with Green letters.

VegasMatt
10-02-2002, 01:11 AM
Rich,

I think Viking was bought out by Fedex, I didnt hear anything about Roadway.

Matt

TJC
10-02-2002, 01:29 AM
Congrats on the new hood and hope that damage comes out ok. If you are going to paint it anyway, I'm sure a little bondo work right at the chips and nicks should do the trick.

You might even want to take the opportunity to think about how much of the sides you want to paint and leave part of the CF exposed to look nicely.

And for aligning the hood with the height of the fenders, there are the rubber stoppers on each of the front corners that you can spin clockwise or counterclockwise to raise and lower the rubber stop for the hood to rest on. That might do the trick to align it properly.

Good luck with everything.

WannaGTZ
10-03-2002, 06:05 PM
Dude i would jsut get it painted or wait and see what the shipin company will do about it. I know if you get a CF hood you shouldnt paint it cause that would defet the prepise of gettin a CF hood just paint it or wait. Wayne

2k1GTZ-PHX
10-10-2002, 05:57 PM
roadway is one of the best freight companies in the nation. it did not get bought out by fedex. fedex signed an agreement to have roadway handle some of their larger item shipments...and if you think fedex is a great company, then obiviously fedex believes roadway is one to handle their customers as well!!

it's just like anything, if you get something shipped to you, read the contract to see if it's fob shipping point or fob destination. makes a big difference if you don't insure it with the carrier.

LaDyGaLaNt
10-10-2002, 09:39 PM
Can you just have a shop order the hood for you and if the hood shows up damaged again, make the shop order another one for you? I think if a shop orders one for you, then they'd be the one looking at it to see if there's any damage and if there is, then they'd probably ship it back and order you another one, part of keeping the customer satisfied. I don't know, just a thought.

pinoyesv6
10-10-2002, 09:43 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LaDyGaLaNt)</div><div class='quotemain'>Can you just have a shop order the hood for you again and if the hood shows up damaged again, leave that shit there....? I don't know, just a thought.</div>

you could but then the shop will also mark up the price for the hood...

Prophet
10-10-2002, 10:50 PM
Thats right, I only paid $4000.00 for this hood due to a blemish on the front part that is really not noticiable. I was fine with this and who could pass up that price for this very small imperfection. Drew was a perfect sales person. He wanted to make sure that I knew what I was getting into before I purchased it. He called me immediatly when he found out that the original hood that I ordered was going to take a very long time due to the strick with the ports. I wanted the hood NOW and I could not wait. So I went ahead and ordered the hood. Drew through in a set of hood pins just for all the trouble that happened for the wait. I can not blame his shop. This is what I get for wanting something NOW instead of waiting and trying to get it cheap.

Roadway sent a inspector here the other day. They inspected the hood and the shipping container that it came in. There saying that the container it came in was improperly made. I am getting no where with Roadway just like I thought.

And to everyone again *IN MY OPINION*. Roadway is a third rate company and there will be no one who will change MY OPINION. I expect first rate customer service and when a shipping company can not read and understand simple instructions then I feel this company is no good and I will never use them again and will not recommend them to anyone else.

Jason

LaDyGaLaNt
10-10-2002, 10:59 PM
hehehehehheheeee.......ROADWAY :mrgreen:

TJC
10-11-2002, 01:31 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Outlawzcc)</div><div class='quotemain'>Roadway sent a inspector here the other day. Â*They inspected the hood and the shipping container that it came in. Â*There saying that the container it came in was improperly made. Â*I am getting no where with Roadway just like I thought. Â* Â*

And to everyone again *IN MY OPINION*. Â*Roadway is a third rate company and there will be no one who will change MY OPINION. Â*I expect first rate customer service and when a shipping company can not read and understand simple instructions then I feel this company is no good and I will never use them again and will not recommend them to anyone else.

Jason</div>

That's lame if it was insured anyway. That's BS. Anyway, now you know Roadway likes to pass the buck. Sorry to hear about that!

I'd just use a little touchup like you suggested if it's a small problem. Unfortunately, this is CF and no paint is going to look like it so stuff like bondo and paint will only make it look bad and possibly emphasize the damage. And good luck with the hood pins. Just make sure you use some high speed tools when cutting or drilling. I think anything else might be difficult at making a clean hole for your pins.