PDA

View Full Version : F-R Wheel braking Scrape

Dracas
09-25-2002, 03:52 AM
Hey Folks, trying to figure out a problem with our 95 Galant S SOHC

About a month ago it started making a quiet scraping in the front-right wheel area every time you depressed the break, the sound is speed-dependent and has been getting louder.

As far as I can tell it doesn't seem to be a warped rotor and at lower speeds it actually sounds a bit like a spring being contorted very rapidly and at points when the cars still in park and you depress the break to put it into reverse the F-R Wheel area emits a pleasant "Crunch"

Nice. Here's the info, the cars got about 100 grand miles and missed its big service tune up at 100,000 miles, because I wasn't here then, and my girl, the official owner of the car was too sick to do anything about it, I'm wondering if anyone can think of any reason for this, or what to look for, if all else fails I'll just run it down to El Cajon Mitsubishi and have a friend of mine there take a look at it.

Any help?

For reference we already had the car in for the 95 galant recall for the forward Ball-Joint replacement and Gas Tank weld

pinoyesv6
09-25-2002, 06:43 AM
how old are the brakes? it could be the lil indicators on the pads saying that they are shot. this explaining why its speed dependant

Nick VR4
09-25-2002, 06:52 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dracas)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey Folks, trying to figure out a problem with our 95 Galant S SOHC

As far as I can tell it doesn't seem to be a warped rotor and at lower speeds it actually sounds a bit like a spring being contorted very rapidly and at points when the cars still in park and you depress the break to put it into reverse the F-R Wheel area emits a pleasant "Crunch"

</div>
Mmmm odd thinking out loud
That sound like a problem with the brake pedel itself inside the car
Check you havent snagged anything under the pedal it might need some lube on the moving parts

Dracas
09-25-2002, 07:02 AM
how old are the brakes? it could be the lil indicators on the pads saying that they are shot. this explaining why its speed dependant

The front Rotors aren't the least bit rusted, So I think they may have been replaced at some point. The rear drum area and rotors though have a tidy bit of rust on them and I'm thinking you may be right, because as far as I know the brakes are the originals from 1995 (considering the previous owner was one of those ditsy folk who would point at a clutch and say 'whats that?' and don't know the meaning of the word 'routine maintenance...), the cars seen a few trips across the US from SD to Ohio and Indianapolis. The people who had the car before us likely ignored the wearing on the brakes. But why the wierd spring compression noise?

To Nick VR4, as far as I can tell, the peddle assembly is fine, only the right front wheel well seems to give off any form of noise.

Hmm, I'll have the brakes checked when we have it in for a full out tune up. The only reason I haven't started tweaking this car is because of the lack of money and the concern that its in worse then apparent condition, little things like this have been consistently popping up lately.

Argh.

pinoyesv6
09-25-2002, 07:14 AM
just remeber that u can go thru a couple sets of pads before u go thru a set of rotors. so get them pads checked out. they're not too expensive to replace either

rfpa1
09-27-2002, 08:54 AM
The best way to check for this is.

1) lift (the car ) and remove the tire that you think is making the noise.
2) make sure that you turn the tires to that side, so you can see the front of the calipers. Make sure that the car is in alevel surface, in park, then remove the brake)
3) on the calipers (this is what holds the brake pads) there is an openning, look into it with a bright light, you should see the pads from that point if you see an obstruction, then you most likely need the pads replaced.

Also, if you pass your fingers trought the rotors, it should feel smooth, if you notice bumps or scratches or see lines, then you need to replace the brake pads and the rotors- do not try to cut them, they will warp fast.

Hope this helps. I did mine the other day and ended having to replace the calipers and rotors.