PDA

View Full Version : IAC and computer

rfpa1
06-17-2004, 12:21 PM
Hi all:

I think I have a bad IAC because I used a lot of cleanning fluid on it last year. Now, if I unplug the IAC, should the Check Engine light go on or not.

I still think that the IAC still good, but I want to check this one out because in my car 95 ES, the CEL does not go on if this cable is disconnected. The Mitsu book does not seem to have this answer.

Any takers??????

thanks

brandon
06-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Hmm... you said above you think you have a bad IAC, but you think it's still good??

What exactly is the problem you're having? My car was stuttering and I had jumpy RPMs from time to time... replaced my IAC and it seemed to go away (then I ripped my car apart a few days later, haha)

4-G-rim
06-17-2004, 03:49 PM
What is exactly going on with the car? I usually happens to Hondas and Mitsus...when cleaning the throttle body and intake manifold...if too much cleaner gets into the TPS (Throttle position sensor) it causes a flat spot..where the car stutters, hesitates and feels like it going to choke. If thats the case...i bet its your TPS. You could take it out...but you have to put it back in exactly the way it was when you took it out, marking where it sits before taking it out is the best way. You can try to clean out whatever gunk got into the TPS....an hope it works when you put it back in. I had this problem recently with -G-rim and couldn't figure out what the hell was causing my car to hesitate and sputter around 2200-2500 rpm's...but took out the TPS, and the problem disappeared.

rfpa1
06-17-2004, 04:47 PM

What about the CEL, it does not get trigered by disconnecting IAC.

JiP
06-17-2004, 05:12 PM
I cant see how you could get gunk into the tps the areas are sealed off from each other. Not to mention the TPS itself is completely sealed in its casing. If you took it off and dont know how to properly adjust it when you put it back on that can cause a problem, but cleaning ut TB you dont even have to remove the TPS. Same goes for the IAC. If they werent sealed off, youd have vacuum leaks and you wouldnt idle right.

But anyway...

If you unplug the IAC it depends on what year ecu you have but eventualy you should get a CEL it may not show up instantly. I run with no ISC but my 95 2g ecu doesnt check for isc at all it doesnt care thats its not there as long as idle is right. While the 96+ ecus will light up the cel either instantly or after 3 trips an those guys gotta use resistors in place of the isc to stop the cel from lighting.

But why do you think the iac is messed up? What are the symptoms?

manybrews
06-17-2004, 05:14 PM
What is exactly going on with the car? I usually happens to Hondas and Mitsus...when cleaning the throttle body and intake manifold...if too much cleaner gets into the TPS (Throttle position sensor) it causes a flat spot..where the car stutters, hesitates and feels like it going to choke. If thats the case...i bet its your TPS. You could take it out...but you have to put it back in exactly the way it was when you took it out, marking where it sits before taking it out is the best way. You can try to clean out whatever gunk got into the TPS....an hope it works when you put it back in. I had this problem recently with -G-rim and couldn't figure out what the hell was causing my car to hesitate and sputter around 2200-2500 rpm's...but took out the TPS, and the problem disappeared.
TPS is a sealed unit. no worries about that.
besides, youre suppost to be spraying INSIDE the throttle, not out.