PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Problem - 97 Automatic

Mr. E
09-25-2002, 04:21 PM
Hmm...i guess my time has come, now its my car that the transmission is going out on i believe.
every once and a while, the RPM thing jumps toward the limit, when i press the gas.The car will not accelerate though https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif Then if i dont let go of the gas while its doing that, the car will "jolt" forward.My dad says i need a new transmission.If so, should i jsut go all out and get one from an eclipse?is it built better, or more powerful?or is it the same, thats if i do actually need a new transmission.I havnt changed the fluid....ever....neither have my parents, could that be the problem?Thanks

Kain
09-25-2002, 05:03 PM
Hmm, Fluid changes= the life of an automatic transmission. You're transmission sounds like it's close to death. It's slipping something awful. Umm, you could get it rebuilt using the Level 10 kit. That'd stand up to the punishment. But, you'd better get used to changing the fluid at least every 80K, and that's with fairly light to normal driving. Any transmission from a Mitsubishi I4 should bolt up, but the more powerful the engine it came off of, the more punishment it was designed to handle (I.E. don't even thing of snagging a Mirage tranny) It's really dependent on how deep your pockets are.

manybrews
09-25-2002, 05:16 PM
first thing you NEED to do is check the fluid level.
ill bet 20 bucks that its low for some reason.

check the fluid with the car running, warm, and in NUETRAL!! (NOT in park).

if the fluid is low, top it off, and find out why its low.
is it leaking? did some moron at a jiffy lube drain it accidently? (which, by the way, happens over once a month just in my neck of the woods)

if you have been driving it for a long time with it low on fluid, there is definatly internal damage, but it may still last a while. (you never know).

Kain
09-26-2002, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I never thought to mention checking the fluid level. I do it religiously and I just sorta assume everyone else does as well. No, if it's been excessively low for an extended period of time, the damage's done.

cantbeatmy97
09-28-2002, 02:56 PM
depending on the color it is yur suppose to change it every 15000 miles or whenever it turns black its suppose to be redish pink meaning its new but in yur case it hasnt been changed so id do a drain it and buy a tranny kit should come w/ a filter and a gasket u can do it yurself very easy just take yur time it will run smoother and better for the time being use diamond atf SP-2 or equivalent6 qts i believe