PDA

View Full Version : The positive end of my battery has a lot of $h|t on it

Gladiator
06-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Few days ago I uncovered the red cap on my battery and I find so much white stuff developing. It seems like it is eating away the bolts that fasten the battery together.

Not sure what is causing the phenomena or how I can get rid of that white powderish stuff.

Thanks

7G-Redsand
06-22-2004, 12:19 PM
i got the same stuff on mine too, and i got a new battery in a few months ago.

peanotation
06-22-2004, 12:36 PM
the posts are oxidizing. get battery cleaner and oxidizing preventer. usually right next to each other on the shelf at pep boys. the preventer is like a paint, usually in a fruity color that prevents the oxidizing, and the cleaner is a foam that eats away at all the crusty white shit.

VegasMatt
06-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Battery Terminal cleaner, just spray it on.

Gilhuly
07-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Or just wire brush the stuff off and coat w/ di electric grease.

Faction
07-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Also, get those post pads....the red and green circles

mike969mb
07-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Used to use diet coke as my battery terminal cleaner since it had no sugar and wouldn't attract the ants and that put some grease on it, vaseline works too. Should end your probably, thats the ghetto way of course of doing it, can always pay more for the other stuff. Definitely clean it, cuz its not letting your car get the full power of your battery and may eventually give you problems. But its nothing major.

mike

Sammy_ES
07-01-2004, 11:28 AM
I use baking soda and water with a toothbrush to clean up the terminals, then put that red paint stuff on them like Peano mentioned.