PDA

View Full Version : Strut bar?

ako
07-05-2004, 04:47 AM
Just wondering if anyone here has aquired a front strut tower brace for their car - The only one I've found has been a cusco part, retailing at about $200US.. Damned if I'm paying that for a metal bar!

seth98esT
07-05-2004, 10:40 AM
You can use front upper strut bars from 2g Eclipses.

Hodgson316
07-05-2004, 12:18 PM
I'll sell you mine for a measly $150 https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

J/p bro. Try ebay. They usually sell them for 20-30 bucks. shipping would be your only problem. Like Seth said, look for the 2g eclipse, they'll work on the 7g

seth98esT
07-05-2004, 12:35 PM
Yah I just bought an adjustable one for a 2g 95-99 eclipse for $21 shipped. Not too shabyy.

Come on man, where are all those pics and vids of your vr4?!?!?! haha I <3 7g VR4s https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

98galant
07-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Does anybody know if this one will work?

http://www.cardomain.com/item/RACMIT051BL ('http://www.cardomain.com/item/RACMIT051BL')

ako
07-06-2004, 12:05 AM
Wicked, cheers team. Just saved me a packet!

Also the photos - I put a couple up in the "members rides" bit

brandon
07-06-2004, 07:17 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(98galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Does anybody know if this one will work? Â*
http://www.cardomain.com/item/RACMIT051BL</div>

Yes, it should work.

seth98esT
07-11-2004, 12:26 PM
I just bought a very nice set. Front upper, Rear upper, and Rear lower tie bar. $100 shipped. Ill take pics as soon as I get them :wink:

Livn2sk8
07-11-2004, 11:26 PM
what brand did you get Seth? and where did you get it from?

seth98esT
07-11-2004, 11:38 PM
Megan and Ebay.

Dragon-and-his-mitsubishi
11-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Hi, so strut bar for Eclipse - 95-98 will fit on my G 7th generation? And how about rear strut bar. And front down piece? Thanks for answering.

laxinwarrior
11-14-2006, 03:50 PM
The front strut bar will fit, i believe the rear one will too but i could be wrong(anyone that knows feel free to correct me) if it does fit i think you will have to cut the carpet in the trunk because the strut towers arent exposed.

4-G-rim
11-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi, so strut bar for Eclipse - 95-98 will fit on my G 7th generation? And how about rear strut bar. And front down piece? Thanks for answering.

95-99 2g Eclipse front upper strut bars will fit on the 7g's. The rear upper strut bar of a 2g will work on a 7g..BUT you will have to cut holes in the rear seat/deck lid sheet metal to run the bar across. IMO...it would be pointless since its already naturally braced there on a 7g compared to a 2g. Also lower front and rear under braces will bolt up no problems from a 2g FWD.

Proto
11-14-2006, 11:51 PM
8G VR4 strut bars are far the best for the 7G. I was the the first to install one on a USDM and it was a huge difference compared to the cheapo ebay one.

T-double
11-15-2006, 12:13 PM
are they really that much of a difference I want one (JDM vr4 strut bar) I found some suppliers and they gave me some prices.......i might get one...... what does it help out with the most...... is it body roll that gets better or what??????

Dragon-and-his-mitsubishi
11-20-2006, 07:35 AM
And do you think, that would be possible to fit the rear upper strutbar on my Hatchback? I do have europian 1.8 GLSi version. http://www.mitsubishiclub.cz/graphics/owne...1_galosmain.jpg (http://www.mitsubishiclub.cz/graphics/owners/full/1894_461_galosmain.jpg)

6G72gearhead
11-20-2006, 12:58 PM
are they really that much of a difference I want one (JDM vr4 strut bar) I found some suppliers and they gave me some prices.......i might get one...... what does it help out with the most...... is it body roll that gets better or what??????

Its chassis bracing. A flexing chassis works like an undampened spring, the goal is to make the suspension do all the dampening work, if there is chassis flex then the cars handleing gets more unpredictable which is going to lead to less consistant lap times.

JiP
12-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Its chassis bracing. A flexing chassis works like an undampened spring, the goal is to make the suspension do all the dampening work, if there is chassis flex then the cars handleing gets more unpredictable which is going to lead to less consistant lap times.

First time I noticed the difference with a front upper strut bar was when i removed it from the car. There is one specific curve on the highway by me that I would hit into around 70 and pull through with no problem...until the day I forgot to put the bar back on and almost killed myself in that turn. Makes a big difference in chassis flex and handling.

As for REAR uppers, Galant doesn't need it, you have plenty of bracing there. A hatchback however has nothing and requires a rear upper bar.

DOHCstunr
12-10-2006, 01:50 AM

precisely...

and the more deflection that is taken from the chassis and given to the suspension..
the higher spring and dampening rates you can run whilest still maintaining a comfortable ride.

there are a lot of things on our cars that move under load that you woudl never suspect.

for instance...

lean over your engine bay and have yoru friend really press on the brake pedal.
be amazed as yoru entire master cylinder and brake booster move away from the firewall!

just imagine when you are really trying to put the stop on.

there are hundreds of little points of slop, or deflection, or cushioning, or flex...
that we don't think are worth the expense of fixing.
yes maybe a strut brace won't do a whole lot...
but its when these things start to add up is when the benifits start compounding.

the key is to beefy up the suspension and stiffen the chassis... w/o adding significant weight to the car.

sure make the car stiffer it will corner better....
but the extra weight can slide you out of a turn.

bronxbombr
12-10-2006, 05:27 AM
My car is stiff as shit, I get so many compliments.

zippyflu
01-30-2007, 06:05 PM
yea it made my car soo stiff.. hated it.. now i prefer comfort over handling..im not doin initial d turns netime soon.. besides.. girls like comfort over STIFF

Blue Ice
01-31-2007, 12:07 AM
yea it made my car soo stiff.. hated it.. now i prefer comfort over handling..im not doin initial d turns netime soon.. besides.. girls like comfort over STIFF

He said "Stiff" huh huh huh huh huh
http://www.herknav.com/images/funstuff/butthead.jpg

frag_daddy_2007
02-08-2007, 07:57 AM
i went and got a TenzoR front strut brace for mine. I had used an ebay one before and its a huge difference. go with a good brand. its worth a little extra money

Blue Ice
02-08-2007, 05:19 PM
i also own the VR4 strut brace, and it's not bending for anything. Actually, it might have saved my car from horrible damage in the accident i had.

Proto
02-08-2007, 05:27 PM
i also own the VR4 strut brace, and it's not bending for anything. Actually, it might have saved my car from horrible damage in the accident i had.

Good thing I bought one then :lol:

Here's the one I'm buying for the eclipse

http://machv.com/bilalstrutto.html

:D

Bezzle
02-08-2007, 08:17 PM
i also own the VR4 strut brace, and it's not bending for anything.
x2! JDM goodness.

ct96mitsug
02-22-2007, 03:11 PM
i bought a front strut bar on ebay for 10 bucks. i got it mainly for looks but its pretty strong for the price. but i also relpaced the circle mounts that were thin steel out of 1/4" polished aluminum, because it didnt cost me anything to do it (i am a welder/fabricater i get free material)

Kenneth G
02-22-2007, 03:24 PM
i got mine from ebay, under scepticism that it was going to be this cheap POS, but it turned out to be pretty damn rugged. it was like $25.00 shipped, pm me and ill send you the info i have when i get home as i cant access my ebay account here at work

ohgrfreak
04-20-2007, 02:46 AM
Now is there much of a difference between the 2G turbo or the 2G non-turbo front upper strut bars, or will both styles fit the 7G Galant?

kolio
04-20-2007, 10:35 AM
i am almost sure it doesn't matter. The body of the car doesn't change between the diffrent engines.

ohgrfreak
04-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Well the reason I was asking is due to the fact that the eclipse's have more room under the hood, where the Galant's hoods are lower, closer to the engine. With the hump in the middle to clear the turbo on the turbo eclipse's, that same strut bar might rub against the hood of the Galant. Of course, I haven't heard of any issues yet with other Galant owners...

I'll just order one up and see if it fits :)

DOHCstunr
04-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Well the reason I was asking is due to the fact that the eclipse's have more room under the hood, where the Galant's hoods are lower, closer to the engine. With the hump in the middle to clear the turbo on the turbo eclipse's, that same strut bar might rub against the hood of the Galant. Of course, I haven't heard of any issues yet with other Galant owners...

I'll just order one up and see if it fits :)
the hump is only there to clear the cam gears of the DOHC head.

which is why 94 galant hoods have the hump as well.

kolio
04-21-2007, 12:13 AM
the turbo is on the exhausr mani, way far away from the hood. and i actually think 7g's have more room thant 2g's. if you look at the design of the bars they never exceed the top of the strut towers

ohgrfreak
05-26-2007, 09:45 AM
It fits perfectly!, I mounted the thing with it facing the front like I heard was the proper way, and the hood would not close. So I just turned it around and it mounts up just like it should on an Eclipse, looks sharp! Couldn't take any pics because it seems on every single day off for the last month it has rained here in good ol Iowa... depressing.