PDA

View Full Version : SRS light comes on after I replaced steering wheel

paulbunyan
07-09-2004, 08:53 AM
All,
I had to remove my steering wheel to get the ignition switch out. Now the ignition switch id fine, but the SRS light stays on. I hooked the airbag back up and all. Can someone tell me what could cause this light to stay on? I have the Chiltons manual for the Galants but theres nothing in there about troubleshooting the SRS light...

paulbunyan

Ositoyb
07-09-2004, 09:10 AM
when you removed your air-bag, did you disconnect your battery?if not then, thats what might be causing the SRS to come on. doeseverything works fine?then you might wanna reset your computer. disconnect your battery for a while, and let the car sit for a bit, then re-connect everything. And go from there.

paulbunyan
07-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Yes I disconnected the battery when I replaced the airbag.

paulbunyan
07-10-2004, 10:39 AM
Anyone have any idea

manybrews
07-10-2004, 12:23 PM
yeah.
take it in. SRS codes need to be erased with a scan tool on older cars. unhooking the battery wont do it.

you obviously had the ignition on at one time while you removed the airbag. either that, or you dont have it installed correctly.
either way, you need a trip to the dealership.

paulbunyan
07-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Thanks! You're right, I did have the ignition on with the airbag out. Darnit, I didnt know that would foul things up. I rememebr distinctly starting it up with the steering wheel off to test the ignition.

So theres no way I can get it to reset?????

manybrews
07-10-2004, 08:30 PM
Thanks! You're right, I did have the ignition on with the airbag out. Darnit, I didnt know that would foul things up. I rememebr distinctly starting it up with the steering wheel off to test the ignition.

not without a scan tool.. and a lot of the aftermarket scan tools wont even access the SRS system.
a trip to the dealer is probably your only choice.

maybe you can haggle with 'em to just give someone 30 bucks to shut it off, assuming you have it hooked up correctly.

JiP
07-11-2004, 01:41 AM
Unhookin the battery cables wont clear the SRS system either?

paulbunyan
07-12-2004, 06:51 AM

not without a scan tool.. and a lot of the aftermarket scan tools wont even access the SRS system.
a trip to the dealer is probably your only choice.

maybe you can haggle with 'em to just give someone 30 bucks to shut it off, assuming you have it hooked up correctly.

Thanks manybrews! Ill probably take my car to AutoZone first to see if their scan tool will reset it. If not, you're right I WILL be going to the dealership. Luckily the dealership around here likes me (they saw my CAI and were like :shock: ...specially when I told em it was off a Honda lol) Ill probably call them first and see what they'll charge me. If its too much I might try to find a mitsubishi mechanic thatll do it...

Ositoyb
07-12-2004, 08:21 AM
good luck, but i really doubt that autozone will reset the light. do to the SRS light being on, and they reset the CEL light. but if they do reset it, thats great. good luck. i also have to go to the dealership this week

paulbunyan
07-12-2004, 09:08 AM
What you gotta go for Ositoyb?

manybrews
07-12-2004, 04:34 PM
nope.
they retain codes for accident purposes. the system needs to retain information in case of total power loss.

Ositoyb
07-12-2004, 06:30 PM
What you gotta go for Ositoyb?
P1750, trans realted problem. DPESNT mean, the actual trans is acting up, but it is somethign related to the trans/ we'll see hwta happens.

paulbunyan
07-13-2004, 06:54 AM
nope.
they retain codes for accident purposes. the system needs to retain information in case of total power loss.

Oh I see now...I was wondering why they dont reset when you disconnect the battery. Oh well. Ill take it in sometime in the next couple of weeks. Luckily I got something else to drive right now...and thanks for replying manybrews! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

paulbunyan

ShadowKnight77
10-01-2004, 06:25 AM
Scan tool? Rubbish, See what you need to do is Pull out the center console and take that Box under there that says SRS and beat on it with a hammer until you cave the housing in and then reconnet it and that will clear it for sure.

:laughing: