PDA

View Full Version : Regular or Premium gas?

uplaya101
07-10-2004, 03:53 AM
I have a 2001 v6 model, and it says premium only. What do you guys use? Its it cool to swictch off or whats the best way to do it/

Reelax
07-10-2004, 04:18 AM
premium only

pinoyesv6
07-10-2004, 11:59 AM
i switch off, between premium and regular. don't do it too often now. but one thing i did realized when i used regular was that my gas mileage was lower than it was with premium. so i'd end up using more gas. so i went back to just using premium. in my mind, i feel like im saving money if i go to teh gas station less.

steve18sccc
07-10-2004, 12:06 PM
what would you guys recommend using in the I4

manybrews
07-10-2004, 12:14 PM
use only 87 octane.
anything else is a waste of money, and can cause drivability issues, a loss of milage, and excessive engine deposits if used in a car not designed for it.

07-11-2004, 12:48 PM
I use Premium on my G....(4cyl 2.4 L 02 ) I tried the lower octanes and she didnt like it at all. I know for a fact that the previous owner used the cheaper stuff and you could tell, deposits in the Throttle body and around air intake valve. Spark plugs were replacements and given that she ( I say she in referecne to the previous owner only because I found makeup under drivers seat that the detailers missed. ) may have replaced them after the car was a year old ( they were Black!!! ) thats pretty bad...

recenlty after cleaning out the throttle body and replacing spark plugs I checked both to see how they were coming along... spak plugs were still clean after a month and a half , and daily stop and go driving, and throttle body is clean as a whistle.

Like Pinoy I also get better gas mileage A tank will usually last me a week.

a trip to San Antonio and back is a half tank . given that SA is about 125 + miles from my thats pretty good.

yeah its alil more expensive but given the problems that can come up by using cheaper gas and the mileage issues Im willing to pay the extra for the premium stuff.

peanotation
07-11-2004, 12:59 PM
i get a lot better mileage with premium, and i can feel a slightly better pickup as well.

RedGalant2k1
07-11-2004, 01:13 PM
use only 87 octane.
anything else is a waste of money, and can cause drivability issues, a loss of milage, and excessive engine deposits if used in a car not designed for it.

If I was you I'd listen to manybrews he is a experienced Mitsu Tech, and he knows what he is talking about.

nrgizeman
07-11-2004, 01:53 PM
yeah i have 4 cyl and doesnt make much difference between premium and 87 on mpg. premium does give you smoother ride but its not worth it. trust me on this one since i drove non-stop from maryland to illinois.

Smoothy
07-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Using higher octane fuel for your I4 does not make any difference. For those that say it does, or that its cleaner, its either all in your head or there is something wrong with your engine.

xSILENTx
07-11-2004, 02:57 PM
use only 87 octane.

exactly

pinoyesv6
07-11-2004, 03:11 PM
the only time you should be using premium on a 4cyl galant is if your running some kinda engine modification that requires you to run premium fuel. unfortunately, most of the guys here don't meet the criteria. so just save your money and go with regular.

BlankMan
07-11-2004, 06:31 PM
I have an I4 and can ONLY use 91-92... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

J

manybrews
07-12-2004, 04:31 PM
I use Premium on my G....(4cyl 2.4 L 02 ) I tried the lower octanes and she didnt like it at all. I know for a fact that the previous owner used the cheaper stuff and you could tell, deposits in the Throttle body and around air intake valve. Spark plugs were replacements and given that she ( I say she in referecne to the previous owner only because I found makeup under drivers seat that the detailers missed. ) may have replaced them after the car was a year old ( they were Black!!! ) thats pretty bad...
youre actually doing the exact opposite of what you should be doing, and the engine deposits are normal.
EXCESS engine deposits will be caused from using higher octane gas in your engine. its designed for 87. anything else is a TOTAL waste of money.
The only advantage you have from using higher octane in the 4 cylinder is in your head.

yeah its alil more expensive but given the problems that can come up by using cheaper gas and the mileage issues Im willing to pay the extra for the premium stuff.
theres a huge difference between using "cheap" gas, and gas thats lower in octane.
you can get "cheap" gas thats plain old crap at a lot of little town type places. but regular 87 octane gas from Holiday, Amoco (BP), SA, or any of the major gas outlets is exactly what you should be using.

J Reezy
07-14-2004, 04:52 PM
very useful informaiton. I guess I was fooling myself the whole time.

Los
07-14-2004, 09:30 PM
youre actually doing the exact opposite of what you should be doing, and the engine deposits are normal.
EXCESS engine deposits will be caused from using higher octane gas in your engine. its designed for 87. anything else is a TOTAL waste of money.
The only advantage you have from using higher octane in the 4 cylinder is in your head.

theres a huge difference between using "cheap" gas, and gas thats lower in octane.
you can get "cheap" gas thats plain old crap at a lot of little town type places. but regular 87 octane gas from Holiday, Amoco (BP), SA, or any of the major gas outlets is exactly what you should be using.

These are words of wisdom talking.

Follow your manual.... it's there for a reason. If you would require premium it will tell you.

peanotation
07-14-2004, 09:45 PM
i can't speak for the engine deposits and direct effect on the engine, but in MY car, i get better mileage when i use premium, the car is slightly more responsive at WOT, and i need it for the n2o (92octane, actually)

in my friend's focus and my other buddy's civic, i feel no difference with regular/premium, and they say they dont see any difference in mileage. go mitsu woot woot

galant00
07-28-2004, 10:26 AM
in jersey they have premuim 93 silver 89 and regular 87.. i use premuim but i am going to start using silver 89 soon..

tolowbass
07-28-2004, 11:28 AM
I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH MY RIDE BUT WHEN I PUT IN REG GAS I GET HESSITATIONS WHEN ENGINE IS COLD AND I ALSO NOTICED LIFTER TICK. NOW I SWITCHED TO MID GRADE AND PREMIUM AND I NO LONGER HAVE ANY TYPE OF PROBLEMS. MY CAR IS MORE RESPONSIVE AND RUNS SMOOTHER. IVE CLEANED THE THROTTLE BODY CHANGED THE PLUGS AND WIRES AND USED FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER. WHAT COULD BE WRONG? EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE ILL GO BACK TO TRYING REG GAS AND I COME UP WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS.
PLEASE HELP ME OUT

d_snypa
09-23-2008, 05:51 PM
I clear my trip meter every time i fill up to monitor my mileage. I used 87 octane for about a year and I avg 290 miles per tank. When I made the switch to premium this past summer I've been averaging 310 even while using the AC. I always use Chevron and my 2nd option is Exxon. Never no name gas.

Here's the math of my situation:
regular gas 3.60/gal X 14 gal = 50.40
premium gas 3.90/gal X14 gal = 54.60
difference = 4.20

Looking at the money side if I bought 15 gal of regular it would cost me .60 cents less than 14 gal of premium and get the same mileage

But I believe the smoother ride is worth 60 cents

RAZ_76
09-23-2008, 05:54 PM
WTF...this thread is 4 years old. What is what you just talked about have anything to do with this thread??

keta11
09-23-2008, 05:58 PM
:smt081^ now thats funny.

dmdvzla
09-23-2008, 07:31 PM
In my experience I have found that with lower octane gas sometimes you could get some knocking noise when you ask the car more power going up a hill. The performance also changes , and sence you may be used to a certain performance from your car, you may hit more on the gas pedal to compensate for that loss...and that transfers to lower gas mileage. So you got to ask yourself...how much are you really saving by putting lower octane gas??? Besides, the difference in price in a full tank of gas between 87 octane and 93 octane is about $2 more. It's not much really! people thing that the save more but do the math and you will realize what I did a few months back.

4g63lover
09-23-2008, 08:23 PM
holy thread batman!

well, I use 93 on my I4, tried to use 87 before and the car was sluggish as fuckk!

polishmafia
09-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Ray! Down, boy! It was his first post. Hes just a little excited LOL

glantv699
09-23-2008, 08:49 PM
V6 DRIVERS - BUY 93 OCTANE

or 91 if you that's the best you can do in your area.

Lock Thread.

JoeRad
09-23-2008, 09:26 PM
I use 99 octane, local station has 5% bioethanol in it, same price as regular 95 octane so dont go blabin bout there being no difference and payin more as from driving i can see there isnt

acitydweller
10-17-2008, 01:50 PM
with fuel injection, our 4 bangers only need 87 octane to get around. I'd go premium if i had the v6

00galantguy
10-17-2008, 02:20 PM
this thread is old... shouldnt be brought up... but to stay on topic I always use 93 octane.

4g63lover
10-17-2008, 03:35 PM
with fuel injection, our 4 bangers only need 87 octane to get around. I'd go premium if i had the v6

my I4 has been drinking 93octane ever since I got a hold of it. means the new engine I put in has had nothing but 93. When I tried to use 87 even 89 the engine wasn't performing as smooth or as responsive as when its on 93.

6G72gearhead
10-17-2008, 06:00 PM
I use about a 95 octane concoction.

JoeRad
10-18-2008, 06:02 AM
Cant get lower than 95 here

laxinwarrior
10-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Your rating scale is different than in the US, your 95 is about the same as our 87.

JoeRad
10-20-2008, 05:26 AM
How would it differ, its not like its imperial to metric