PDA

View Full Version : very simple question

GalantGuy96
07-13-2004, 04:10 PM
what are some cheap mods i can do to get some horsepower?

xSILENTx
07-13-2004, 04:25 PM
I havent spent any money on my engine and dont plan to but i dont think there any any cheap mods that will get you any noticeble power gain. how much were you looking to spend?

GalantGuy96
07-13-2004, 04:27 PM
mmm......200?

4-G-rim
07-13-2004, 05:00 PM
"Cheap" mod with very noticeable power....for a extra $100, you can feed the Galant with a bottle of nO2 (NOS) if you are the type looking for instantaneous results.

JiP
07-13-2004, 05:23 PM
"Cheap" mod with very noticeable power....for a extra $100, you can feed the Galant with a bottle of nO2 (NOS) if you are the type looking for instantaneous results.

Agreed. Thats the only "cheep" power mod. In the wrong hands will destroy your engine but thats another topic =D

There are cheep "mods" you can do but they wont bring big power or anything close to it. Dont listen to ads or people that say a cai brought them an extra 15 hp, those people just hear the louder soundof the engine from the cai and think sound = power :laughing: most mods in reality bring only like 2hp nothing you will really feel, and the majority are aimed towards high end power while destroying your low end torque, (like a cai does without an afc.) You can get a decent HP gain around 8hp or so from thing like a cai but you need a properly tuned SAFC which itself costs around $350 all mods are useless without a way to retune the car.

the_kage
07-13-2004, 05:36 PM
Listen to JiP... first thing get an Safc.. you can get them on ebay for around 200.
It its self should give you a nice little gain because you gain control.
Then when you start adding things like, intake, cams, gears, headers, exhaust... you can remap your ecu to actually get the BEST use out of them.

JiP
07-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Kage just blew the kids budget big time lol.

Put it like this...cars are not a cheap hobby AT ALL. Cost mucho denero to make real power. You kinda got to make a plan, ask yourself what do you want to accomplish and then you can build little by little. You start small like cai, add the afc later, learn to tune it a lil, then you throw a test pipe in, a month later your doin a 60mm tb swap, then you get a datalogger, then you start buying turbo parts off ebay, a year later after collecting all your turbo parts and researching you turbo...

then your tranny explodes and you start collecting parts for a 5speed swap...

All this will cost u a shitload...but If you do it like I do it, a lil here and there it feels cheeper lol. It took me like a year and a half to collect all the parts I needed for headswap and more importantly the knowledge needed to understand how to swap and fix problems that may come up. $100 here, $50 there...wasnt bad at all, but if I went out and bought all the parts at once thats like $850 instantly out of my pocket it feels so much worse like that lol.

4-G-rim
07-13-2004, 05:52 PM
Yes...getting "POWER" you can be truly satisfied you will have to spend $$$$. Trust me....I know, I already dumped over $1200 into my motor and its not even assembled yet :evil: For a budget around $300....NOS is probably the best choice, but even at that...you have to do your homework on it. Very important to use it correctly...or you will end spending $$$$ anyways fixing what you broke.

the_kage
07-13-2004, 06:13 PM
Kage just blew the kids budget big time lol.???

how much were you looking to spend?

mmm......200?

first thing get an Safc.. you can get them on ebay for around 200.

seth98esT
07-13-2004, 06:37 PM
Heh Ive dumped about $2-3k into my motor :evil:

Its not cheap, even maintenance is expensive. If you want power, you have to spend money. All the cheap mods will not give you big power like JiP said. I used to do it how JiP did, cai here, tb there. But then I said screw it and dumped about $5k haha. So now I am in debt but I will have a fast car https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

GalantGuy96
07-13-2004, 06:54 PM
a little 8 hp here and there is fine with me.
i just want to waste my time during this next year until i get my next car.
as many of u know, i was workign on a turbo setup, but then backed out the last minute.
so i want to just work on my car for a couple of months, and if i get 200 hp total, than thats good enough.
im just looking for it to be a decent 200 hp without brecking my bank account.
now with that said, how much power would just getting safc get me?
(and yes, i DO know what its for just in case your wondering)
and i dont mean just the safc, i mean wiht all the other stuff im going to get.
so far im planning on bigger injectors, better spark plugs, msd ignition, msd wires, straight through muffler, remove cat, and better fuel rail if i can.

those are some cheap mods that will get my hp up a good enough distance.

now witht that said.....what are some cheap mods that i can do to increase the horsepower.

seth98esT
07-13-2004, 06:58 PM
1g 60mm throttle body
CAI
Headers
New exhaust
RPW Camshaft
Cam gear

peanotation
07-13-2004, 07:01 PM
with those mods you just listed, you wont be anywhere near 200, even with the S-AFC. you're at 140 stock, and with those mods, even the most optomistic person might say 160 after all that. injectors wont do anything if you're not running any real power mods, cause you're still going to get the same amount of fuel. colder spark plugs will add .5hp, if anything at all. straight through muffler and cat will maybe add 10-15, even thats optomistic. the cheapest mod for money is the n2o route, which is the route i took, but it requires more research than money. i'm running a 55shot and i'd say i'm at 200hp.

GalantGuy96
07-13-2004, 07:03 PM
with those mods you just listed, you wont be anywhere near 200, even with the S-AFC. you're at 140 stock, and with those mods, even the most optomistic person might say 160 after all that. injectors wont do anything if you're not running any real power mods, cause you're still going to get the same amount of fuel. colder spark plugs will add .5hp, if anything at all. straight through muffler and cat will maybe add 10-15, even thats optomistic. the cheapest mod for money is the n2o route, which is the route i took, but it requires more research than money. i'm running a 55shot and i'd say i'm at 200hp.
oh ya, i was just saying im plannig on getting near 200 by the end of the year.

JiP
07-13-2004, 07:26 PM
SAFC will not give you power alone, (it can help tune things better and free very few ponies from a stock engine), thats why I say Kage was blowin the budget buying the AFC its not a power mod.

And 140 hp stock LMAO I wish. Stock Galants are around 105-115 average at the wheels and thats what counts. If your not planning to turbo and you want 200hp you'll need like $8grand lol. Cheaper to get the 4g64 high hp with a turbo then it is to keep it NA.

peanotation
07-13-2004, 07:28 PM
SAFC will not give you power alone, (it can help tune things better and free very few ponies from a stock engine), thats why I say Kage was blowin the budget buying the AFC its not a power mod.

And 140 hp stock LMAO I wish. Stock Galants are around 105-115 average at the wheels and thats what counts. If your not planning to turbo and you want 200hp you'll need like $8grand lol. Cheaper to get the 4g64 high hp with a turbo then it is to keep it NA.

yeah, i was talking HP at the crank, and keep in mind that 140hp isn't probably 140 anymore, our cars are almost 10 years old (depending what year) so there's gonna be some lost HP over the years

krazienluv10
07-14-2004, 12:27 AM
ur not going anywhere with these kinds of basic bolt ons... better save up some dough because in the end ull never be satisfied...no matter what our car is gonna be slow... you can have all these stuff and still be walked on by an older import :? the cheapest mod u can do is probably just a CAI which is probably a 3 hp gain anyways...all the ingition wires, grounding, plugs wont really give u any hp all together anyways, if at all it would even less the the CAI...as for afc...get it towards the end of ur moding list... u wont need it because there will be no hp gain for just an intake and an afc

JiP
07-14-2004, 12:43 AM
You got it backwards..there is pretty much no hp gain with a cai WITHOUT an afc.

Another problem that most people have is that they constantly compare their car to something in a different class. Galants are 2.4 4cyl do you really expect to beat a big block chevy v8? Your mods are to make you fast in your class wich would be against other 4cyl. You will beat the hondas and wont be embaressed against a decent 6 cyl, but your not a hotrod, your not gona take on a hemi...not without $10grand of pure racebuilt performance including gutting your interior and dumping ur precious subs and fat gfs

Besides most people just go by quater mile times, and you CAN make a mid 12 second galant without breakin the bank and thats a huge improvement from what it is stock something like mid 17's lol
=D

Hodgson316
07-14-2004, 12:48 AM
speaking of fast ass n/a 7g's, how's duke doing???

krazienluv10
07-14-2004, 01:42 AM
really i remember people dynoing there trying to tune there afc without any gains... my mistake

brandon
07-14-2004, 07:05 AM
My question is how does someone with 1000+ posts ask a question like "what are some cheap mods I can do to get more horsepower?"

And you guys responded like 2983 times! haha

If you want 200hp, you'll have to spend money.. if you're getting a new car next year, why waste money on this one?

Mindless
07-14-2004, 07:09 AM
Put your $200 aside and start saving for an engine swap or to turbo the 4g64.

JiP
07-14-2004, 02:06 PM
My question is how does someone with 1000+ posts ask a question like "what are some cheap mods I can do to get more horsepower?"

If you want 200hp, you'll have to spend money.. if you're getting a new car next year, why waste money on this one?

LMAO I didnt even notice. But.. why is his avitar and description exaclty like peano is that peano's hidden noob name that he can ask stupid questions under and not feel stupid lol :laughing:

brandon
07-14-2004, 02:11 PM

LMAO I didnt even notice. But.. why is his avitar and description exaclty like peano is that peano's hidden noob name that he can ask stupid questions under and not feel stupid lol :laughing:

If that was the case he'd possibly be the biggest post-whore on any forum ever with close to 5000! hahaha

peanotation
07-14-2004, 02:27 PM

If that was the case he'd possibly be the biggest post-whore on any forum ever with close to 5000! hahaha

GOD DAMN YOU GALANT GUY TAKE MY SIG/AVATAR OFF https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

there's actually this huge off-topic forum my room mate reads thats got like half a million members and the top posters have like 40,000 posts!!

the_kage
07-14-2004, 02:42 PM
and the top posters have like 40,000 posts!!
Gives you something to aspire to eh?

GalantGuy96
07-14-2004, 02:54 PM

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif haha...

let me say my question ONE MORE TIME..... I JUST WANT SOMETHING TO DO OVER THIS YEAR WITHOUT BREAKING MY BANK.

there...get it now people???
i just want to work on cars for cheap, im not looking to smoke bugatti's or somehting.

just something cheap to doooooooooooooooooo..............

lol, and i copied all of peanos shit just to see how people would react.

i cant believe u people actually think im trying to get 1000 hp by spending 20 bucks. im just bored......

i only said that i wanted a cheap way of getting horsepower because i knew so many retards where going to say somethign like, go turbo, or put in a 8 liter engine or something dumb like that.....no offense anyone.

brandon
07-14-2004, 03:19 PM
Well the fact is, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CHEAP HORSEPOWER.

Sorry for the CAPS, but it had to be done... :x

I say the best way to spend that $200 is to go out and buy a bag of weed and smoke yourself silly. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

GalantGuy96
07-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Well the fact is, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CHEAP HORSEPOWER.

Sorry for the CAPS, but it had to be done... :x

I say the best way to spend that $200 is to go out and buy a bag of weed and smoke yourself silly. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif
woah woah there....easy man put that caps lock down...you could hurt somebody with that...........lol, jk

and that weed idea is a good one :wink:

GalantGuy96
07-15-2004, 02:28 PM
how cheap do u think i can get nos for my car?
something like peanos would be good enough.

peanotation
07-15-2004, 02:32 PM
my zex wet kit was $535 shipped. right now in the vendor forum this guy has all bramd n2o kits for WAY below retail, truly the best prices you will find anywhere. if you're gonna go n2o, start reading up.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11 ('http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11')

and the thread with all the crazy cheap n2o prices:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...pic.php?t=20018 ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=20018')