PDA

View Full Version : What type of oil??

pinoyesv6
09-26-2002, 03:11 PM
first i'd read the owners manual to see what that recommends. uhm i belive 10w30 is a standard weight u should use. uhm as for myself i just get whatever oil i canget my hands on, and then either a mobil1 or a k&n oil filter. uhm u might want to consider getting a semi synthetic or even a full synthetic if you plan on going longer miles between oil changes. i know for myself, i nevergo past 3k miles before an oil change. usually a lil over 2k so cheap oil is good enough for me

Dominicano
09-27-2002, 08:58 AM
same here i paid 40 dollars to go fully synthetic with mobil1 5w30 and mobil filter and i tell you the car felt freaking smooth after the change even smoother then the regular oil when that was changed.

Galant_01
09-27-2002, 10:30 AM
The way I understand it is you need to use just regular oil (ie Penzoil ect) for at the least the first 2 or 3 oil changes. They reason for this is to let all the engine seals seal properly. Then after that I would and did switch to full synthetic Mobil One(or equivelent). The break in period is detramental to engine health!

Black2k1GTZ
09-27-2002, 02:08 PM
I've heard the opposite...the quicker you get the synthetic in the better. Because it is synthetic, it has stuff in it to help the engine from the start...again there are alot of car myths out there...it all depends on who you talk to!!!

Marc :mg:

Dominicano
09-28-2002, 02:02 AM
i wanted to add a question to this topic since i didnt want to open another one, does your transmission fluid need to be change just as often as your engine oil??? and i heard its best to stick with mitsu type tranny oil right>??

Galant_01
09-28-2002, 07:32 AM
No you do not have to change your tranny fluid that often. I beleive the manual calls for it every 30,000 miles. I just check prices for Royal Purple Synthetic and Qwick Car wants $175.00 to do the flush and change.

GalantESP
09-30-2002, 10:08 PM
Ever since I got my car.. I put Mobil 1.. and I change it every 5000 miles.. its about $35 every 5000 miles.. which when you add it up.. its about the same if you do regular oil and 3000 miles.. I change my Tranny fluid every 15000 miles with Mobil 1 as well.... and its been keeping my car running strong and smooth.....

ASTIG
10-03-2002, 09:41 AM
when i hit 15000 miles, I had the tranny flushed and put in Redline C+ ATF. Also had the coolant flushed and replaced and had the injectors cleaned.

dageezer
10-11-2002, 01:45 PM
To Black2k1GTZ:

FYI

Check out

http://minimopar.net/oilfilters.html ('http://minimopar.net/oilfilters.html')

It has a good explanation of what a good oil filter is.

They say to stay away from Fram Extra Guard/Double Guard filters. If that's what you're using. I've read other articles regarding Fram's poor quality as well.

I've used Fram as well and started having engine problems,(in my Durango, not Galant) whether the filter had anything to do with it is subjective, but I'm staying away from Fram and use only Mobile1 filters with Mobile1 oil.