PDA

View Full Version : making my own bumper

midwestgalant
07-17-2004, 11:42 AM
kinda making one,
i'm thinking about taking a 2002 bumper and chopping off the area where the grill is and and leveling it out and putting it on my 2000 galant,
i like the look of my upper grill but i like the look of the lower half of the 2002
i have a 2002 sitting in my garage that was givin to me an i have nothing better to do with it
just wonder some of your guys opinions on this idea

thanks

ChikagoGTZ
07-17-2004, 01:27 PM
You dont happen to have a rear bumper too do you?

midwestgalant
07-17-2004, 01:37 PM
no sorry
i was givin this bumper for putting on a front fiberglass bumper for a friend

DryBear
07-17-2004, 05:02 PM
I was actaully thinking of doing that very thing to my 2003 bumper, but I need to practice some more fiberglassing on some other smaller projects first, plus I would want to do the work on a spare bumper and not hack up the one on my car already.

Looks like you're halfway there - good luck!

SilverKnight
07-19-2004, 06:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>I was actaully thinking of doing that very thing to my 2003 bumper, but I need to practice some more fiberglassing on some other smaller projects first, plus I would want to do the work on a spare bumper and not hack up the one on my car already. Â*

Looks like you're halfway there - good luck!</div>

:cry: Ok guys i hate to break your dreams but you can't put fiberglass and uerathane(sp) together or else the fiberglass will crack from when the uerathane warps of flexes due to the sun, air, or a car slightly bumps into you, or you bump the curb. so you will spend more money in the long run getting it fixed about every week or two due to the warping or flexing of the uerathane which will crack the fiberglass at where the two meet.

Cali
07-19-2004, 06:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SilverKnight)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>I was actaully thinking of doing that very thing to my 2003 bumper, but I need to practice some more fiberglassing on some other smaller projects first, plus I would want to do the work on a spare bumper and not hack up the one on my car already. Â*

:cry: Ok guys i hate to break your dreams but you can't put fiberglass and uerathane(sp) together or else the fiberglass will crack from when the uerathane warps of flexes due to the sun, air, or a car slightly bumps into you, or you bump the curb. so you will spend more money in the long run getting it fixed about every week or two due to the warping or flexing of the uerathane which will crack the fiberglass at where the two meet.</div>

he's right.

Censee
07-19-2004, 09:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cali)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SilverKnight)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>I was actaully thinking of doing that very thing to my 2003 bumper, but I need to practice some more fiberglassing on some other smaller projects first, plus I would want to do the work on a spare bumper and not hack up the one on my car already. Â*

:cry: Ok guys i hate to break your dreams but you can't put fiberglass and uerathane(sp) together or else the fiberglass will crack from when the uerathane warps of flexes due to the sun, air, or a car slightly bumps into you, or you bump the curb. so you will spend more money in the long run getting it fixed about every week or two due to the warping or flexing of the uerathane which will crack the fiberglass at where the two meet.</div>

he's right.</div>

yep yep

DryBear
07-20-2004, 01:12 AM
Wow, glad I didn't hack up my bumper after all - well in that case - is there a way to work with the uerathane, or is that just a lost cause?

Censee
07-20-2004, 09:29 AM
i dont think it would be worth it,,,, its 2 way different materials,,,im sure it can be done but evetually it will warp or crack....since they react different to things , like silverknight said...the stiffness of the fiberglass doesnt match at all with the flexability of urethane ,, sometimes even fiberglass doesnt ahhere to metal very good,,and stress relief lines have to be left on bumpers and stuff when they are molding it,,,,like when they molded calis rear bumper,, they made a stress relief line where it met his taillights,,, so it can have a place to flex a little where the metal met the fiberglass..and even then most of the times metal and fiberglass end up cracking..

midwestgalant
07-21-2004, 11:16 AM
maybe if i cut it and made like a "cover" or something that kinda snaps onto the bumper??you'll be able to see the joints but i think that if you do you it right it might look good??

pinoyesv6
07-21-2004, 03:47 PM
that could work. or, you could make some kinda custom grille that would cover the area you cut out

Censee
07-21-2004, 06:04 PM
maybe,,just maybe u can cut the uraethane bumper in half,,then cut whatever other fiberglass bumper in half,, and screw them onto each other across the whole area where they meet,,,then grind down the screws so it will be as close to flat as possible,, then the area where the bumpers meet, and the screws are.., fiberglass them together and cover the screws,,..and mold the bumpers together....

midwestgalant
07-21-2004, 08:14 PM
or i could cut the top off of my old bumper and plastic weld it then smooth it out and maybe reinforce it on the back side with something???
that would take alot of plastic weld though

it can be done its just finding the easiest way to do it is the problem