PDA

View Full Version : Need e little help

Mindless
07-19-2004, 11:46 AM
I was screwing around underneath the car this weekend and I noticed that a rubber boot that covers the connection between the passenger side axle and the tranny is ripped. Here are my questions:

1) I've noticed a clicking noise (although very quiet) coming from the front. Could this ripped boot be the problem?

2) I don't know how long the boot has been ripped so what other problems should I look for? Obviously I need to take a look at the axle, but is there anything else I should check?

3) Could this ripped boot have cause damage to my tranny?

4) Has anyone ever changed this boot before? I have a real difficult time finding a shop that can get my car on a lift and will probably end up changing it myself.

Thanks guys!

peanotation
07-19-2004, 12:07 PM
you busted a CV boot. on lowered 7Gs, it happens all the time. i had busted CV boots for over 1.5 years before i would get them replaced. you can replace the actual boot itself and keep the axle, but the labor for that is like $150 and the boot is around $50. OR you can replace the entire axle and labor is $50 but the axle is $150. so it's the same. of course, you want the entire axle replaced cause you're getting more out of it, and most shops prefer to do it that way anyways.

the clicking noise IS the CV boot, and i'm pretty sure it doesn't cause any tranny problems. changing it yourself would be replacing the entire axle. i'm scared to do that.