PDA

View Full Version : Anyone has an Aftermarket Radiator installed?

Mitsufied
09-26-2002, 03:58 PM
I would like to replace my radiator.

I did a Flush-n-Fill at a local service shop yesterday (shhhhh don't tell my boss that I played hookie) and a nasty looking brownish colored coolant came out.

The guy who did the service was more freaked out than I was.

I had posted a topic about an 'over-heating problem' a few weeks ago. Well 'TAH DAH' ........ the cooling system was a the problem, not the thermostat like I thought.

The strangest thing is........ the coolant in the reservoir and the radiator (top level) always was green...... I guess that this nasty stuff was at the bottom or something.

Well, I'm glad that it's out...... but I want to get my radiator replaced before winter comes because I don't want to be one of 'those guys' stuck on the side of the road with a mechanical breakdown.

I'd rather get an aftermarket one, because they have a higher volume and do a better job (at least that's what I've been informed).

Please help anyone.

P.S. One of you guys told me in a post that you bought a radiator and it was shipped to you damaged. Who was that? And was it aftermarket?

Contact me direct at [email protected]

Mitsufied

rfpa1
10-16-2002, 07:29 AM
Hi:
It was me. After returning it. I got a credit because they did not have it any more. Im still looking for a good replacement. Sadly, the one I ordered was a bigger unit -better in the sense that stored more coolant.

Well Im still searching.
RF

Kain
10-16-2002, 12:20 PM
Well, in my experience a radiator is a radiator. As long as the mounting points are the same (and even if they aren't, new ones can easily be fabricated) the only thing that separates them are where the hoses hook up. Take note of the basic dimensions/shape of the radiator you have, go to a radiator shop and look around for one that's pretty close. Umm, most if not all Mitsubishi's should use the same mounting points, and similar inlet/outlet placement. So that'd be my first place to look. There's lots of room in the Galant between the radiator and the engine so you could always add radiator hose (though, I wouldn't because it looks ugly and more hose=more opportunity for leaks) I've put Chevy 2500 series radiators in Jeeps and VW radiators in Nissans, so I know you can do "cross breeding"

Also, as a side note, The Galant radiator is MASSIVE when compared to most other cars. It's actually larger than the one Jeep has in the V8 Cherokee. So, a direct OEM replacement would probably be fine.

G-Lant
10-16-2002, 05:20 PM
I had a big hole in my radiator so I replaced mine with a radiator that is all metal. NO crappy plastic top and bottom. So if there is a hole, a simple weld can fix it.

schick
10-16-2002, 07:02 PM
so... would you think a Fluidyne for a 2G Eclipse would work?
CLICK HERE TO SEE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE ('http://www.fluidyne.com/pl_hpimports.html')

It really does look the same, with the hose ports in the same spot.
I'm going to email them to get the specs for the 2G Eclipse radiator specifically the distance for the mounting points.
I'll post the reply here.

SamirDarji
07-07-2005, 10:10 PM
After doing some cross referencing using CAPS, the eclipse series of radiators are a different part number. Even the GS Galant uses the same radiator as the non-GS model. I'm not sure how much difference there would be, but I think it would be different enough in the mounting or hose locations to give some trouble.

Russian7G
07-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Eclipse radiators don't have water caps - they are on the engine side of the hose, near thermostat.

DOHCstunr
07-07-2005, 10:35 PM
the 2nd gen eclipe as the radiator cap on the water kneck mounted to the head.
so a second gen radiator wouldn't be an option for 7th geners. your best bet would be a 1st gen radiator.
preferable one pre 94 when they were using 6 bolts. cause the 7 bolt first gens had the radiator cap on the water kneck as well.

as far as hoses go, my 6 bolt 4g63 outlets lines right up with my stock hoses. i just had to take only one inch off the lower hose(ooooooo big deal)
i'm still using my stock 4g64 hoses.
the question however, will be does the 1st gen radator have the same mounts? meaning are the brackets in the same place?

if it does, then you are gold.
if not, then it won't at all be hard to drill and tap new holes to move your stock upper radator stays.
and the bottom, just drill a hole or two and your done..

SamirDarji
07-08-2005, 04:59 PM
That's one sweet setup you have DOHCSTUNR. What are you running?

The 7th fastest Galant vr4 in the nation is always out around here. It's white and was owned by Victor Brant ('http://www.victorbrant.com') who now has an Evo 7. His nephew has the vr4 and it still kicks ass on the street. I've got so many videos of it spanking Mustangs. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif They both recently came out one night. Both cars are putting down over 300whp to all 4 wheels. :twisted: