PDA

View Full Version : Replacing A/C compressor

RollinBishiStyle
07-21-2004, 03:45 PM
Ok ive tryed searching and i cant find anything, is changing my A/C compressor something i can do or should i let a shop do it. Anybody ever replace theirs.

RedGalant2k1
07-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Its not a repair for those not mechanically inclined thats for sure. Honestly unless you are verse in automechanics you probably don't want to tackle a project such as this. A/C is a pain to fix, it takes a while, and even after you fix the Compressor it might leak elsewhere.

Have you had it charged with R134 Freon recently? Are you positive its the compressor?

RollinBishiStyle
07-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Yea i tryed charging it myself and that didnt work so i had it looked at by Tuffy because they had some special coupon and thats what they said. Ive been reading about the drier or reciever-drier or accumulator

The receiver-drier / Accumulator must be changed each time a system is empty regardless of the reason for loss of refrigerant. It should also be changed every three years, because the desiccant pellets will break down and clog the expansion valve. This will in turn cause the system to become inoperable and may damage the compressor.

Never heard that, seems like something you might want know if its correct.

manybrews
07-22-2004, 04:51 PM
DONT try to fix an AC system if you dont know what youre doing. you really dont have the capability anyway, as Im sure you dont have a set of gauges, an evactuation machine, or a charging machine to make 100 percent sure that the EXACT amount of refridgerant is installed.

and yes, its a good idea to replace the recieve/drier whenever the AC system is worked on, especially if you have had a serious mechanical failure such as a compressor. most of the oil (and therefor debris) resides in the reciever/drier.