PDA

View Full Version : Another engine swap idea

evil-G-nius
07-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Ok, we all know that the 7g shares parts with some of the dodges and cryslers. I was wondering if the SRT-4 engine would fit our G's? It is a 2.4L also and it has more kick than a 1 or 2g '63. Would it be worth a try or not feasable? Just a thought

seth98esT
07-21-2004, 04:16 PM
It would be a lot of work. I am pretty sure it sits the same way ours does with the tranny and what not. But the intake manifold is where our exhaust mani is and the exhaust mani is where our intake manifold is. So I doubt the mounts would line up. IMO the 4g63t is still the best bang for your buck in the engine swap area.

Mindless
07-21-2004, 04:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'> IMO the 4g63t is still the best bang for your buck in the engine swap area.</div>

I agree. 300-400whp is attainable fairly easy......or so I've heard/read.

4-G-rim
07-21-2004, 04:32 PM
4G series motors are over a decade a year old and TONS of aftermarket support. The SRT-4 2.4 is fairly new...and has yet to really prove its longevity as a "performance" motor.

JiP
07-21-2004, 05:46 PM
I think everyone neglects the fact that its not like your gona drop in an engine and be all fine and dandy.. Your talkin massive work you have to redo all the electrical in the car to support that engine, and then your guages probly wont work, and youll need the srt tranny and its electronics unless its manual...

the electronics are the killer. Engine swaps are just nuts n bolts.

manybrews
07-21-2004, 06:45 PM
the dodge engine and mitsu engine have nothing in common.
they are not interchangable, they do not share architecture, nothing.
they are COMPLETELY different entities. One built by chrylser in mexico, one by mitsu in japan.

Galant-UNIT(sur_texas)
07-21-2004, 09:00 PM
<span style='color:blue'> 4g64t & 5-spd swap</span>

peanotation
07-21-2004, 10:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>the electronics are the killer. Â*Engine swaps are just nuts n bolts.</div>

exactly. that's the only thing holding me back, those damn electronics/CPU

manybrews
07-22-2004, 04:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>the electronics are the killer. Â*Engine swaps are just nuts n bolts.</div>

exactly. that's the only thing holding me back, those damn electronics/CPU</div>
should be more than that, being as the two engines arent the least bit swapable. nothing is the same. not the block, not the head, not the bellhousing, not anything.
one is a chrysler product, one is mitsu.

you may as well try to bolt up a ferrari engine in the bay; it will be about the same.

peanotation
07-22-2004, 05:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>the electronics are the killer. Â*Engine swaps are just nuts n bolts.</div>

exactly. that's the only thing holding me back, those damn electronics/CPU</div>
should be more than that, being as the two engines arent the least bit swapable. nothing is the same. not the block, not the head, not the bellhousing, not anything.
one is a chrysler product, one is mitsu.

you may as well try to bolt up a ferrari engine in the bay; it will be about the same.</div>

i was referring to the 4g63t

evil-G-nius
07-22-2004, 06:50 PM
I know that it isnt as easy as drop in and drive. I also know Chrysler and Mitsu are different companies, but remember there are some cars that are sharing either engines, or suspension or whatever. Before the sebring was changed, our 7g's shared the suspension with it and the eagle talon and eclipse. Two of those cars were chrysler products. The Engine that was in the sebring and the avenger (4cyl) I believe was the same as the '64 or very similar. (as soon as I find where I saw that I'll post it!) And this has nothing to do with us but, the new mitsu SUV (endevor I think it is) is a re paneled jeep cherokee. So that pretty much voids the whole argument about the two companies having nothing to do with each other. Joint ventures are all through the automotive world

JiP
07-22-2004, 08:02 PM
The answer is YES you CAN do it. But do YOU have the ability to do it and the money? Its not gone be cheap, its not gona be easy and if you cant weld and/or fabricate some custom brackets and crossmembers then its impossible for YOU to do. I have seen a video of a DSM with the engine in the back seat and the hood converted into a trunk you litteraly drive with the 4g63t behind your head... anythings possible if you got the knowhow and more importantly the cash.

The question you should be asking is.. would it be worth it and the answer is a big NO!!

Galant-UNIT(sur_texas)
07-25-2004, 03:32 AM
http://search.ebay.com/4G63T_W0QQsosortpropertyZ1 ('http://search.ebay.com/4G63T_W0QQsosortpropertyZ1')

manybrews
07-25-2004, 01:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evil-G-nius (aka Kimya))</div><div class='quotemain'>I know that it isnt as easy as drop in and drive. I also know Chrysler and Mitsu are different companies, but remember there are some cars that are sharing either engines, or suspension or whatever. Before the sebring was changed, our 7g's shared the suspension with it and the eagle talon and eclipse. Two of those cars were chrysler products. The Engine that was in the sebring and the avenger (4cyl) I believe was the same as the '64 or very similar. (as soon as I find where I saw that I'll post it!) And this has nothing to do with us but, the new mitsu SUV (endevor I think it is) is a re paneled jeep cherokee. So that pretty much voids the whole argument about the two companies having nothing to do with each other. Joint ventures are all through the automotive world</div>
you have to understand the way it works.
the eclipse, galant, sebring coupe, avenger, and stratus coupe were all built at the DSM plant in normal. they were 70 percent mitsu parts.
there was a 2.0 liter chrysler drivetrain available in a few of them, which was a slightly redesigned Neon drivetrain.. but keep in mind that particular driveline shared absolutly NOTHING with mitsu. it was a specially designed chrysler engine with the intake and exhaust ports flipped, using a new process transmission for a manual (or a chrysler automatic), and chrysler fuel injection. the trans' ONLY bolt to that particular belhousing pattern, which is not used by mitsu on any of their engines.
the engine in the new neon is based roughly on that particular driveline, which shares nothing at all with any mitsu of today.