PDA

View Full Version : Reprogramming Keys

sd2775906
07-22-2004, 05:27 PM
I did a search and this is what I found:

<span style='color:brown'>Customer Key Programming
You can program new keys to the system if you have two valid (already registered) keys by doing the following:

1. Insert the first valid key into the ignition and turn the ignition to the "ON" position for 5 seconds.
2. Turn the ignition to the "OFF" position and remove the first key.
3. Insert the second valid key and switch the ignition to the "ON" position within 7 seconds. Theft-alarm indicator will blink twice. Turn the ignition to the "OFF" position and remove the second key.
4. Insert a blank (transponder) key, specially cut for your vehicle at your Mitsubishi Dealer, into the ignition and switch the ignition to the "ON" position within 7 seconds.
The theft-alarm indicator will come on for about 3 seconds when the registration is completed. If an error occurs, the indicator will blink 3 times.
5. If you want to register additional keys, repeat step 4 within 30 seconds after the theft-alarm indicator flashes in step 3.

NOTE
You are provided with 2 keys, but you may add up to 6 more keys.

Replacement Keys
Only keys that have been programmed to the vehicle electronics can be used to start the vehicle.

If you lose the key, you can order a key from your authorized Mitsubishi dealer by referring to the key number.
You will also need to change your ID code to prevent vehicle theft. Take your vehicle and any remaining keys to your authorized Mitsubishi dealer for consultation.</span>

That was the last post about reprogrammng keys I found. Does it work? No one said anything if that worked or not. My friend bought an used 2003 ES and was given only 1 key and the dealer wants to charge $110 for a new key and programming. I said I'd ask for him to find a cheaper way.

qnz
07-22-2004, 06:10 PM
it says the same thing in the galant manual. just hope that you never lock your key inside your car. u can make a cheap copy to open the door, you just wont be able to start the car with it..

BlankMan
07-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Another option - don't go to the dealer. A good local lock smith can program new keys for you from an existing one for lots cheaper.

J