PDA

View Full Version : Timing is everything

Sexy_Delavatos_G_Ride_:)
07-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Hey guys i have a question 4 ya. My 2000 is up to 77+k miles and at 60,000 ur supposed to get the timin belt done, at least thats what they say. so yea im way over. The thing is, i went to a mechanic and he said when u get the belt done u might as well do the water pump and the tensioners while ur in there. I have only brought my car to the dealer to get things done on it such as brakes, oil changes, tune ups, bullshit like that, but i never got n-e-thing real serious like this done on it.
I brought it to the dealership and they said they would only do the timin belt for $400 and nothing else. Everthing else was going to cost me. The mechanic said he would do it for about $400 and thats everything, water pump and the tensioners. I dunno what to do because i dont like to trust mechanics, and the dealership is rapin me, so what should i do? :puzzled1:

peanotation
07-23-2004, 12:59 PM
first of all, why are you going to the dealer to get anything done? yeah, you can go after them if they fuck it up, but you can go after any big name shop as well. the dealer is going to rip you off so bad on everything. don't ever go to the dealer unless something is under warranty. you will get completely scammed out of your money. my dealership wanted $600 for EACH front axle, $1200 total. I got both axles at aamco for $300, both OEM. Go to your mechanic, you won't get getting screwed up the ass.

07-23-2004, 01:04 PM
alot of the things i got done at the dealer were under warrantee, only the oil changes i get for free though hehe, thats a whole notha story in its self, but yea your rite i guess the mechanic sounds like a betta choice

dza
07-23-2004, 01:18 PM
400 actually seems low for a timing belt replacement, but, if they are only gunna do the belt, you might be asking for car troubles down the road.

I usually go to moms and pops type mechanic shops. on top of being better at what they do, they seem to be cheaper.

BlueESV6
08-04-2004, 08:28 PM
I paid $1200 to do the 60K service and it included getting my rotors turned and belts changed as well as what you mentioned... I had a V6. $400 seems fair but make sure he warranties the work. I had a 12mo/12K mile warranty on work done...

Good Luck https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

manybrews
08-05-2004, 07:37 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>first of all, why are you going to the dealer to get anything done? yeah</div>

so its done right?
little hick shops actually give us about 20 percent of our business with the mistakes they make.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> you will get completely scammed out of your money. my dealership wanted $600 for EACH front axle, $1200 total. I got both axles at aamco for $300, both OEM. Go to your mechanic, you won't get getting screwed up the ass.</div>
the axles you got from aamco are NOT new axles, rather theyre rebuilt. if you like using rebuilt junk, thats your perogative.
the 600 dollar price is MSRP, so enough with the bashing.. its nausiating.

08-06-2004, 12:22 PM
first of all, why are you going to the dealer to get anything done? yeah

so its done right?
little hick shops actually give us about 20 percent of our business with the mistakes they make.

you will get completely scammed out of your money. my dealership wanted $600 for EACH front axle, $1200 total. I got both axles at aamco for $300, both OEM. Go to your mechanic, you won't get getting screwed up the ass.
the axles you got from aamco are NOT new axles, rather theyre rebuilt. if you like using rebuilt junk, thats your perogative.
the 600 dollar price is MSRP, so enough with the bashing.. its nausiating.

woooww calm down in hea, fiesty fiesty..

clone2020
08-15-2004, 10:03 PM
$400 for the belt, water pump and auto-tensioner is a great deal IF they do it right. I think the dealership norm is $1000+...

I'm not sure but I think it's a 4-6 hour job.

Wait a sec...$75 for the belt, $150 for the pump and $50 for the tensioner...$275 + labor = $400 ???

Going to a DEALERSHIP doesn't mean they will do it right the first time. My dealership was going to charge me $400 for a new junction block when it was just a 10 cent fuse. He said the service manual he had was messed up due to the japanese to english translation. *WHATEVER*

-MIKE.

burthold
08-16-2004, 12:35 AM
manybrews, I have nothing but respect for you that is a fact.

I'll tell you first hand though the mitsu dealers here in Austin SUCK. They are so bad I quit taking my car in for even the free maint that is offered. I had three diffrent dealerships mess up an oil change for Gods sake, I got it back one time and tranny fluid was leaking out of the thing like a stuck pig. I've got free oil changes for life from three dealers I have taken it to that seems to be the defacto giveaway when they screw things up. Every time I take it in for a recall it comes back with something else broken. For example, I took it in for the faulty trans line cooler issue and it came back with a broken front seat. How??? I take it in for a slipping tranny under warranty to three diffrent dealerships all three give me the cannot duplicate line so I take one of them for a ride in in 5 minutes I got it to happen no problem. So what do they do? Charge me 160 bucks for a fluid flush, telling me I can't have my car unless I pay for it, AND replace the transmission and torque converter for free, but not before breaking the timing belt tentioner how I have know idea. Never in my life have I ever, ever been so poorly treated at any dealerships other than mitsu. Hell, the dodge dealership did an outstanding job on my Galant a little over priced but liveable. At one point in my life was a certified mopar mechanic and have some knowledge of how cars work.

I have found a local "mom and pop" shop I take everything to encluding my mitsu for no other reason than if they do make a mistake they are atleast honest about it and make a real effort to fix it. When my AC went out at 72k miles, I took it my mom and pop, they did the work for under half of what the dealer wanted, yes they used rebuild parts where they could but the labor was alot less as well. They asked me if I wanted to use mitsu OEM new, I told them "why bother, if they are smoking out at 3 years of service I might as well save the money for next time." Well, the dryer went out after 30 days and outside the warranty for the cheapo dryer. They gave me a new one at cost and didn't charge for anything else, no labor on the AC when they fixed it again.

I have filed complaints againts all three dealerships with mitsu and the BBB mitsu sent me get this, coupons for free general maint including oil changes.

Maybe its just my rotten luck, this is just my experence. Your milage my vary.

peanotation
08-16-2004, 12:53 AM
i hate dealerships so much. the mitsu one by my house replaced a friend's turbo on his Evo8 when in reality his "bad acceleration problems" were from the shitty clutch syndrome that a lot of Evo8s go through. poor guy had to pay for it. he punched the guy in the face after he figured out what really happened, and rightfully so, he got charged over $3000 for something that was really like $400, and would be $200 at a normal shop.

we need one of those "dealerships are about as useless as..." taglines.

SilverDragonGTZ
08-16-2004, 03:52 PM
agreed...mitsu here in central illinois is a joke too...bad wheel bearings in the rear of the car...kept blaming it on my tires...so i buy 4 brand new tires...and still does it...(this was wayyyy back when i first bought the car) so they finally take the time to fix the problem...only to get the car back finding a nice big scratch on the front of the bumper by the license plate...they repainted it...but didnt clear coat over it...so i had to argue with them about the clear coat...the damn business manager told me it just needed waxed (talked to me like i was a moron) and when i went in for my 36k maintenance (last one with mitsu thank God) i went in at 36,030 miles...i had a 2 hour drive from a family member's home...and my front drivers seat was actin weird...and he goes "its a broken seat bracket and it will cost 1,000 PLUS LABOR to fix" and i said "um what about my warranty?" and he goes "you're 30 miles over, we can't fix it for free" i snapped ....and here comes the little rat-face cheese eating business manager...tellin me "procrastination happens at the worst times doesnt it" i told him he was lucky there are witnesses...