PDA

View Full Version : Window tint, what percent is best?

galantebeige
07-23-2004, 06:44 PM
Hi guys,

I'm about to finally have my 8G windows tinted by a professional shop. I have the choice of the darkness, and suddenly I am not sure how to balance the best darkness without being visually obstructed. :shock:

I would really like it dark as possible, but is it okay for driving? (I'm talking about the limo darkness, 5%, I believe...)

The shop will do anything that is legal.
:wink:

Niytrus
07-23-2004, 07:22 PM
I have 20%, dark enough, but still able to see at night... I wouldnt want 5% personally, it would look really good, but to dark to see at night for me.

Bigg Boi
07-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Step 1 is find out what the legal limit is for your state. (the tinting shop should know) Here, it's 20%. My car is at 25% now and will be at 15% when I can get around to redoing it. I would say dont go more than 5% darker than state law.

Niytrus
07-23-2004, 08:16 PM
35% is the legal limit here, but I went 20... 35% is way to light. I wouldnt go much lower here just because I dont want to be hasseled about it by the police.

peanotation
07-23-2004, 08:36 PM
its 35% in cali....i believe. cops actually carry around meters with them now to check. another nifty tool our tax dollars bought

galantebeige
07-23-2004, 09:59 PM
thanks for the responses so far...
I am in Utah, and this is what I found on the Utah Dept of Public Safety

http://highwaypatrol.utah.gov/faq.html#Win...indow%20Tinting ('http://highwaypatrol.utah.gov/faq.html#Window%20Tinting')

"Window tinting is allowed in Utah as long as it complies with the law (Title 41-6-149 UCA). Windshields may have tinting on the top four inches of glass. That tinting must be transparent. The remaining glass on the windshield must have a minimum of 70 percent light transmittance. Driver and front seat passenger side windows must have a minimum of 43 percent light transmittance. Rear side and back windows on passenger cars must have a minimum of 28 percent light transmittance. Windows behind the front seat on federally designated multipurpose vehicles may be tinted to federal AS-1 standards (no minimum light transmittance mandated). If the windows behind the driver’s seat are tinted, the vehicle must have outside rear-view mirrors on the left and right side of the vehicle. If you have additional questions on this subject, please contact the Safety Inspection Section at (801) 284-5540."

I have not thought about driving at night, that is a good point, so maybe I should ask instead:
Are you confortable driving at night with your tinted windows? Meaning, can you see okay? and what percent do you have on?
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Bigg Boi
07-23-2004, 11:05 PM
My 25% gives me no problems at all when driving at night. Actually, I think the rear window is too light still b/c the other cars' lights can still bother me. Our previous galant had 15% all around and it was great in the day and decent in the night.

I suggest picking your back window darker than the rest. If the tint job is done good, then there's no redoing the rear window. You risk damaging the rear window defrosters if you scrape off the adhesive left behind from the film. And if you only scrape around the little defroster lines, there's risk of air bubbles forming. So on my car, the back is unfortunately staying 25% even though I want 10%.

Pertaining to your poll, yes, window tint does infact keep the car cooler in the sun. Not only that, but the sales man at the honda dealership that leased us our new Accord told us that it actually raises a cars worth.

cardude03
07-23-2004, 11:32 PM
i am 95% positive that in cali, tinting your front windows is illegal, no matter how light it is, i heard that if u have a doctors note, u can do it 75%, but thats all, but i think the lighter it is, the better chances u have for getting pulled over. my friend had limo all the way around his truck, and got pulled over after about a month, i have 38% in front, and 15% in back. also another thing, usually cops wont pull you over JUST for tint, they might pull you over for speeding, and then notice that your windows are too dark, atleast thats how it happened to me...

and also, tinting wont JUST make it look cooler, it actually helps keep out the heat, which keeps your temperature lower when your parked in the sun, and try to go for metallic tint (not the color metallic, but when u talk to the guy, ask him if its metallic, he should know what your talking about), it has to do with what its made from.

chbuzz
07-24-2004, 01:34 PM
mines 5% all around w/ 12" visor.
The legal limit here is 20%. yeah our cops have the meters for checking light transmittance also. The local cops used to be asses about checking it but they rarely mess with it anymore. The state police on the other hand are more strict about it. I'm not changing it until I told I have to :evil:

g.d.c
07-25-2004, 01:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chbuzz)</div><div class='quotemain'>mines 5% all around w/ 12" visor. Â*
The legal limit here is 20%. yeah our cops have the meters for checking light transmittance also. The local cops used to be asses about checking it but they rarely mess with it anymore. The state police on the other hand are more strict about it. I'm not changing it until I told I have to Â*:evil:</div>

no problem driving at night. does take a little getting used to. got 5% around right after getting my car.. its been since feb. and by now, two county and one state passed me the yellow sheet. eh. no comments on the exhaust. at $87 prepaid each with court costs its rough, but not bad enough to consider removing it.. oh sorrrry :?

TWISTED II
07-25-2004, 01:24 AM
in illinois, you can have as dark as you want from your shoulders back, but everything from your shoulders up, (front 2 and windshield) cannot be tinted at all. so, you could paint your back windows black, just as long as your front ones are clear.

galantebeige
07-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Cardude,
I read your post about my wheels, Rage Breakers. I think they are a cool choice https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Anyways, I looked at pictures of your car, and you say 38% tint on front and 15% in the back, what do you mean with front? , I see your driver seat windows are lighter than the 2 back door windows....
can you drive well at night with 15% in the back window, can you see anything??

cardude03
07-25-2004, 09:30 PM
when i said front, i was talking about the two front windows, not the windshield, just the drivers and front passengers windows. and then for rear, i have 15% for the rear passenger windows, the rear window, and the two little side windows, so basically all of the ones behind me. i was also worried about driving at night first, and i dont know if i got used to it, but i dont seem to have any problems with driving, i can see things pretty well.

now 5% is a different story...

TITAN
07-26-2004, 02:11 AM
its 35% in cali....i believe. cops actually carry around meters with them now to check. another nifty tool our tax dollars bought

even tho I agree with you on most things, i believe that meter helps to prevent accidents, from dumbasses who cant drive at night. 35% is fucked up, and 5% is too much, i would go with 25%-20%.

I actually have 15% on mine, but its mirror. So those fuckasses dont know what to think. Sometimes you can se right thru, and sometimes, not at all. Different light, different visability. Even driving by my car in the same light, it will change from different angles. I havent been stopped once.

galantebeige
07-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Update:

I got the windows tinted, I now have 50% on front two, 20% on back two doors and back window.

They told me to keep the windows up for 1 week.

However, I am seeing a few tiny bubbles, in almost all windows, if not all, and bigger ones on the back window.

For all four door windows, I have to be about 30 cm to see them from the inside, and for the back window, I can see them fine standing next to the car outside, next to the back window, (next to the back wheel)

Should I be expecting this? Should I have not expected perfection? in other words, no bubbles?? I was going to call the shop, but I wanted to know beforehand, what kind of outcome is expected in this tipe of job.
:shock:

cardude03
07-27-2004, 09:06 PM
well a few bubbles isnt a problem, they will go away eventually as the tint dries. how much did you pay, dont forget that you get what you pay for.

galantebeige
07-27-2004, 09:42 PM
I paid $189.00 + tax = $201.47, with a $40 coupon, so, regular price is $229.00

uplaya101
07-27-2004, 10:44 PM
got 5% in the back, and 20% in the front. Everybody that i know LOVES the tint that i did on my car. These two percenage make a great look. But u the negitve side is i have trouble seeing in the dark trough my back widnows sometimes :?

AllysGalant02
08-03-2004, 09:17 AM
Yea Those Bubbles Will Eventually Go Away When The Tint Dries... I Had 35% On The Front 2 Windows And 20% On The Rest And I Couldnt Take The Difference Between The Back N Front Windows. It Drove Me Nuts So I Just Tinted The Front 2 20% To Match The Back. My B/f Actually Has 5% On All 4 Doors And Back Window And 20% On The Front Windsheild. I Suggest Noone Tint The Windsheild. Annoyin To Drive At Night With. And Very Obvious To Cops...Good Luck Wit Ya Tint Hun! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

mrjaydeeone
08-03-2004, 05:08 PM
I got 20% all around except for the front window and it definitely makes a difference in the temperature within my car. Also makes the car cool down a lot faster when the a/c is turned on

datdude305
08-03-2004, 05:40 PM
all i kno is no matter how much u tint think about tinting ur windshield i kno of ppl that hav been stoped and the whole "u hav a month to prove u fixed it in a court of law" wasnt enough 4 one cop after that cop stoped him 3 times (bad timing huh) he took a key and cut up the tint i think it was lik 30 % so the cops noticed eveny time no problem ohh well the ref had it comeing he was lucky they didnt see that he had blue neons all over the car :evil:

galantebeige
08-16-2004, 08:51 PM
update:
So I went back to the shop, and the bubbles were so significant enough (in the rear window) that they had no problem redoing it. My luck got even better when we inspected the back windows, with had a material defect, so it had a wart kind of looking spot, on both sides!. Both back windows, mean. :?
In the end we re-did the whole back, eveything but the front 2 windows. In my opinion, 20% is quite light, so I told to go ahead and get the 5% in. I can see fine... well, during the day. I will hace to see at night, but I don't expect it to be a problem. :wink:
I have the idea that the 20% and the 5% are somewhat lighter...could it be the brand?
I got 3M film, with lifetime warranty. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif
Anyways, I had a great experience with that shop, they are good sports.
So, I am happy!
Also painted my calipers last week and my drum brakes, I'm also glad I did that!
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

TITAN
08-16-2004, 11:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantebeige)</div><div class='quotemain'>update:
So I went back to the shop, and the bubbles were so significant enough (in the rear window) that they had no problem redoing it. My luck got even better when we inspected the back windows, with had a material defect, so it had a wart kind of looking spot, on both sides!. Both back windows, Â*mean. Â*:? Â*
In the end we re-did the whole back, eveything but the front 2 windows. In my opinion, 20% is quite light, so I told to go ahead and get the 5% in. I can see fine... well, during the day. I will hace to see at night, but I don't expect it to be a problem. Â*:wink: Â*
I have the idea that the 20% and the 5% are somewhat lighter...could it be the brand? Â*
I got 3M film, with lifetime warranty. Â*:P Â*
Anyways, I had a great experience with that shop, they are good sports.
So, I am happy!
Also painted my calipers last week and my drum brakes, I'm also glad I did that!
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif</div>

now take some frekking pics foo!!!!!!!!

SilverDragonGTZ
08-16-2004, 11:49 PM
like twisted said...you can paint your rear windows black, but the front windows are illegal to tint at all but you can have 6" on the windshield...when i first got the G i had 5% all the way around...got popped like 5 times for it...stripped off the front...but the guy i had do it use crap tint...so i found a new shop...gonna strip it all...and re-do it all using some new stuff from llumar called x5...(2.5%) all the way around...you won't see me even with a flashlight 8) sorry to law enforcement, i don't kill people or deal drugs...and i love how my car feels when its tinted that way...so i'm gonna do it....

digital_ripper04
08-17-2004, 12:17 AM
you guys are so lucky, UTAH SUCKS, front windows are like 43% or 42% it sucks

o1naturalhigh
08-17-2004, 02:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cardude03)</div><div class='quotemain'>i am 95% positive that in cali, tinting your front windows is illegal, no matter how light it is, i heard that if u have a doctors note, u can do it 75%, but thats all, but i think the lighter it is, the better chances u have for getting pulled over. my friend had limo all the way around his truck, and got pulled over after about a month, i have 38% in front, and 15% in back. also another thing, usually cops wont pull you over JUST for tint, they might pull you over for speeding, and then notice that your windows are too dark, atleast thats how it happened to me...

and also, tinting wont JUST make it look cooler, it actually helps keep out the heat, which keeps your temperature lower when your parked in the sun, and try to go for metallic tint (not the color metallic, but when u talk to the guy, ask him if its metallic, he should know what your talking about), it has to do with what its made from.</div>

i think that it is also illegal for the front doors to be tinted in cali...and i also think the metallic tint cardude is referring to is called quantum. but...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>its 35% in cali....i believe.</div>

i am sure the the rear doors and back window is legal at 5%. i'm in cali and my back windows are 5%. i did my fronts either 25 or 35%. light enough to barely tell, and dark enough for someone to not see what is inside my car at night. i am gonna redo my fronts because my dog scratched a little area on the driver window, and luckily for me, my old neighbors family owns a shop in pacific beach. he didn't charge me a dime for the tint or tinting my windows the first time, but now, he says he will do the two fronts for $35. and, i think i am either getting it limo or 15%.

str8304
08-17-2004, 05:03 PM
i have 0% tint all the way around and 35% on the whole windshield. my shit is extremely illegal, but i can see you, but you can't see me. that is how i like it! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

galantebeige
08-17-2004, 07:44 PM
str8304, I guess you like to live on the edge!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

I drove at night (last night https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif ) , no problem. I can see what I need to see, looks as good as the driver sides' mirror. At nigh you can't see much anyway, and only what is lighted. Signs and car headlights.

I'll post some pictures soon...

chbuzz
08-17-2004, 09:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(str8304)</div><div class='quotemain'>i have 0% tint all the way around and 35% on the whole windshield. Â*my shit is extremely illegal, but i can see you, but you can't see me. Â*that is how i like it! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif</div>0% https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif I didnt know they had that.. I thought 5% was lowest.. who makes that 0% stuff?

str8304
08-17-2004, 10:15 PM
they actually make 3%, but i originally had 5% all the way around, but i had 5% put on top of 5%. i had it checked this weekend and it registered at 0%