PDA

View Full Version : My galant is sick.

Cyniket
07-31-2004, 01:22 PM
Okay, here is the story. I drive a 2000 Galant ES 4cyl

Was at a stop light, I went to take off, my car took off and it started to take off, and it took off, gave a hard jerk and died, I had to coast into a parking lot.

Now I tried to crank it, it sounds like it would normally if you were cranking it, but it just won't fire.

We at first thought it was the fuel pump, well we disconnected the fuel line and cranked it to see if any fuel came out, and boy did it come out...it gushed out...so it's definatly not the fuel pump.

We thought it might be the spark plugs, because maybe it just wasn't getting any fire, well we pulled them out, and the spark plugs were in excellent condition b/c I just recently got the plugs and wires changed. So my friend maybe thinks its the coil packs?

Also when I turn the power on, I hear this like hissing/ticking noise, very high tempo ticking I guess you could say, it does it when I turn the power on to the car and when I turn it back off. I have no clue if it did that before my problems ocurred, much less knowing what it is, and if it did do it when my car was working I couldn't hear it because by the time it started my car was already started and running, so?...

The thought has run through my mind, maybe a fuse?...could a fuse cause that much havok?

Please, if anyone has any advice, or possibly knows what it is, then just say anything, it would help a ton...because my car is past warranty and im low on cash..

Here is my contact info:

Name: Michael
AIM: Cyniket
E-mail: [email protected]
Cell: 501-563-4450

Thanks.

bronxbombr
07-31-2004, 09:18 PM
Check and see if your timing belt is still intact, also check the crank pulley.

paco
07-31-2004, 09:36 PM
I would also think is the timimg belt. When you try to star it, does it turn faster that normal? that tiking noise you are reffering to is it like 5-6 fast clicks, if so it's the ICM (idle control motor) that is normal. Hope I helped.Let me know if you have any more questions.

PS If the turns faster that normal STOP doing it you can bend the valves.

peanotation
07-31-2004, 11:26 PM
sounds exactly like what happened when my timing belt blew. check that out.

Serstylz2
08-01-2004, 02:42 AM
I hear a Galant's timing belt has to be replaced every 40,000 miles... how accurate is that?

Dre
08-01-2004, 06:29 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Serstylz2)</div><div class='quotemain'>I hear a Galant's timing belt has to be replaced every 40,000 miles... how accurate is that?</div>

The manual recommends changing it at around 60,000 miles. Anything less may be premature, and anything later is a big risk.

Cyniket
08-01-2004, 08:18 PM
So lets say it is the timing belt, how much is that going to cost me?
Im ending up having to take it to the dealer...so..i know it's not going to be cheap... :cry:

BlankMan
08-01-2004, 10:22 PM
replacing the timing belt would the the eaier - and less expensive - work. You're most likely going to have bent valves and will need head work. I would strongly suggest *not* having the dealer do this work, they will rape you. Even if you have to pay $50-$75 more to get the car towed a 2nd time to a local garage, you may end up saving as much as $500.

J