PDA

View Full Version : changing brake pads.

atx
08-01-2004, 09:16 PM
99 es v6 im putting in new rotors and pads and painting calipers wile at it. Im gussing theres a few bolts to remove for the rotors and hit them off with a mallet? calipers look easy enough to take off. Ill make sure to clean and sand the calipers well before painting. For the pads I am slightly confused about how do I get them out and new ones in? All of what I said may be wrong but thats why I am asking is someone could help me out and tell me how would be great.

Thanks for any info
Matt

pinoyesv6
08-01-2004, 09:36 PM
when you remove the calipers the pads just come off. just hold them in your hand and pull them away from the rotor.

as for putting them back on. the pads go on the same way they came out but push them towards the rotor. speaking of pushing, you gotta push the pistons back into the caliper or the calipers aren't gonna go on.

J
08-01-2004, 10:21 PM
be sure to have liquid wrench and a breaker bar or a pipe to slip over the wrench, because the trick for me was that the bolts were on super tight and rusty. it took a lot of force to get them off.

atx
08-03-2004, 05:53 PM
yea i tryed once with some little ass wrench and got super frustrated. I got a fat ass breaker bar and I loosed one up just to see if itd work and it did so that was nice. HOW do i push back the piston? MY freind said usa vise but i dont get how id fit it.

pinoyesv6
08-03-2004, 06:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atx)</div><div class='quotemain'>HOW do i push back the piston? MY freind said usa vise but i dont get how id fit it.</div>

first thing you do is remove the cap off the reservoir that the brake fluid is in.

then you go to the caliper. put back in one of the brake pads. put it up against the piston. that way the piston and dust cap etc is protected.

now pushing it back in, there are many ways. i've used pliers to push the piston back in, i've used the c-clamp, there is a toll at the auto store made specifically for pushing the piston back in the caliper.

if you have dual piston calipers, do them one at a time, its easier that way.