PDA

View Full Version : Should I replace my brakes?

Jet Black
08-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Im not sure if my pads/rotors have ever been replaced, and my car has 70k miles on it. Now how many miles is average to replace pads/fluid/rotors? So far the brakes feel fine, though they squeel a little under HEAVY use.

Also I should point out that I drive through the canyons quit often, and usually end up abusing the hell out of my brakes, so is it normal for the pads to squeel under heavy braking? The brakes themselves are awsome under heavy use, though their terrible under normal conditions. I have to use more force to hold the car still sometimes than to slow down in a drop of a dime in the canyons.

Also I was considering getting stainless steel brake lines, but I noticed that we (V6s) have a spring thats wrapped around the brake lines. This mos def helps a lot, cause under heavy use, the brakes end up feeling more responsive than usual. So will I see significant improvments with stainless steel lines (why the f*ck are they so expensive).

peanotation
08-04-2004, 11:23 PM
i don't know about stainless steel brake lines, but rotors/pads will make a huge difference, you know that :wink: just get a set of Brembos and nice pads and you're set.

COgalant
08-05-2004, 12:39 AM
I do believe that stainless steel brake lines would make a signifigant difference. If you do alot of canyon carving i could maybe see a use for them, but do you really want to pay that much? I dont think it adds up personally...

pinoyesv6
08-05-2004, 11:22 AM
70k i'd say go ahead and start buying those parts.

with brakes its better to change them out early than it is to change them out after your near death experience because your brakes didn't peforma as good as they should because they are worn down.