View Full Version : I can't swap the tranny fast enough

Mindless
08-07-2004, 10:27 PM
As some of you may know, I had to replace my tranny about a year ago. Lately my "new" tranny has been fucking up big time. Twice today alone it refused to go into third until about 4-5k (and this isn't the first time it's happened). It's been shifting hard as well. Here's what has me worried though. When my oher tranny went out last year it was because a bearing or some piece of metal got loose and chewed the gears up in the tranny. Preceding my last tranny blow out I heard a loud thunk when I was driving. About a week or two after the thunk my tranny went out. Well guess what, today I heard the same thunk and I'm starting to get a little worried.

I've got most of the parts for my swap with the exception of the flywheel and clutch kit and new axles which aren't necessary for the swap but I need them anyway. I also need the slave and master cylinders but those aren't a big deal...I'll probably order them next week. So hopefully (barring any major disaster) I can have it done by the end of next month at the latest.

Basically just venting here. Comment if you like.

Livn2sk8
08-07-2004, 11:09 PM
WOW, are you a little harsh on your car? two tranny's in one year? that's alot, don't you think? Maybe you could try and get your new tranny built up a bit in the gears. unless you have already done so....

I just had to get a new tranny, but, ended up with a used one, so i'm sure i'll need a "NEW" one, in the next year.

seth98esT
08-08-2004, 04:56 PM
I have a spare master clyinder, 5spd clutch and brake assemblies from a 2g turbo. PM me if you want em

Mindless
08-08-2004, 06:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Livn2sk8)</div><div class='quotemain'>WOW, are you a little harsh on your car? two tranny's in one year? that's alot, don't you think? Maybe you could try and get your new tranny built up a bit in the gears. unless you have already done so....

I just had to get a new tranny, but, ended up with a used one, so i'm sure i'll need a "NEW" one, in the next year.</div>

I don't think I'm that bad. I mean I do drive a little aggressively. Who knows....

Seth I sent you a PM.

sleepagalant
08-08-2004, 06:17 PM
hey i read this the other day and today when i stopped at a light and i started to go i heard a loud noise sounding like a hammer hitting something metal but couldnt tell cuz my music was up so i turned it off and drove the whole way home didnt hear anything else
is that what yours sounded like?
got me scared now :cry:

Mindless
08-08-2004, 08:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sleepagalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey i read this the other day and today when i stopped at a light and i started to go i heard a loud noise sounding like a hammer hitting something metal but couldnt tell cuz my music was up so i turned it off and drove the whole way home didnt hear anything else Â*
is that what yours sounded like?
got me scared now Â*:cry:</div>

Nah it wasn't like a clank....more of like loud thud.

peanotation
08-09-2004, 02:20 AM
completely see where mindless is coming from. after my auto POS slush box finally died from Los Angeles heat, i got it rebuilt from AAMCO (supposedly the best, right?) it's fucking terrible. it hangs onto gears sometimes for waaaay too long. it shifts slower than a grandma shifting a big rig, and the torque converter they fucked up BIG TIME.

they told me i HAD to get an alignment because i also got an axle replaced there, so i said well, if i have to, i guess do it. then they charged me $400 for an alignment. um, i worked at a shop for a year, alignments were $70. fucking assholes.

i hate aamco. never go there.