PDA

View Full Version : upgrade fuel injectors?

BlueESV6
09-27-2002, 01:19 PM
Of all the performance tricks posted on the site I haven't read much about upgrading the fuel injectors/ fuel pressure regulator. Any thoughts on if this is a good idea? Especially those who have CAI's and exhaust mods. Would this help clean up any flat spots in the power band?

Thanks https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Auto-9
09-27-2002, 01:36 PM
I believe the general consensus is yes, it does. I'm not going to upgrade mine though, I'm not boosting and I'm not the kind that squeezes every 1 hp out of the car.

burthold
09-27-2002, 01:56 PM
Our injectors flow pretty good. I would recommend an FPR from RPW to clean up the flat spots. You shouldn't need bigger injectors unless you get crazy with the boost.

Wes

Black2k1GTZ
09-28-2002, 02:11 PM
How will plugs and wires get rid of flat spots caused by poor fuel dilivery? Usually what happens is you run into a mild lean situation where you have more air than fuel that is optimal or what the ECU would call for. An FPR will clean that up by increasing response of the fuel system and making sure you don't run into a lean fuel situation due to lack of fuel to the injector.

If I'm incorrect please tell me so and what the correct answer is.

Wes

Think of it this way ur motor is a huge puzzle every piece has a intricate spot and purpose to perform... wires and plugs are the single piece that cause the spark for better start up, if u loose a plug or have one going bad, is most cases ur car will have to in most cases have to run hard to make up for the lack of spark. In my case my car ran to rich giving me a fucked up idle... by changing the plugs and the wires and i got better gas mileage and the idle was set back to normal... Even if u do decide to get a FPR by itself, you may or maynot notice any power increase due to the lack of mods to the engine only thing ur doing is pumping more fuel at a high PSI, then ur gonna be buring more fuel than needed.. What FISHBOY did would be the best attack on gettin rid of the holes in the fuel delivery system.

Wes I think he's trying to say...in much simpler terms...that with all the extra fuel your putting in, and all the extra air...you'll need a larger spark to burn it off and get the extra performance out of the FPR!!

Marc :mg:

TJC
09-28-2002, 03:00 PM
Right Marc. I think that was the point.

Mo Modz, Mo Betta!

I don't think anyone putting in a $200-$400 FPR mod is going to stop there anyways. Besides, it will help when the need arises during high rpms and it will set you up for the bigger mods down the line if you're not there already. :wink:

BlueESV6
09-28-2002, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the responses... excuse my ignorance but what is an HFC? nevermind- got it- high flow cat...

Has anyone added a FPR or injectors and noticed improved performance?

Fishboy55
09-28-2002, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the responses... excuse my ignorance but what is an HFC?

Has anyone added a FPR or injectors and noticed improved performance?
HFC is a high flow catalytic convertor Blue. Don't apologize for asking a question, man. That's how we all learn. And yes, I've added the FPR and noticed a BIG difference. So much so that bigger injectors really aren't needed. The FPR makes it feel like high flow injectors are there.

Chip

BlueESV6
09-28-2002, 08:58 PM
Which one did you get and what was the pressure increase? You have the V6 right?

Fishboy55
09-28-2002, 09:04 PM
Which one did you get and what was the pressure increase? You have the V6 right? I got the FSE rising rate FPR from Vision imports. Yes, I have a V6. Stock pressure was about 42psi. I moved it up to 48psi to flatten out the fuel curve. On track days, I wind it up to 50, which means I'm pumping between 58 and 62psi at WOT. The FSE unit is great. It's small, installs in about 30 minutes and has a built in gauge so you can easily set the pressure.

HeadAche
09-28-2002, 11:12 PM
I didnt get the chance to add the FPR to my old motor, but i was running 440cc injectors.. The performance difference was noticeable about 40000rpms, because on the dyno there was a monsterous gap and it seemed to fill that gap nicely, even with the S-AFC..

BlueESV6
09-29-2002, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the responses! So basically, if you just get a CAI (such as AEM) and a different muffler (such as bosal prosport) you won't see any gains from new injectors or FPR? (stock setup can handle the added air flow) But if you get modified exhaust (HFC) with headers then go with the FPR and maybe injectors also....

HeadAche
09-29-2002, 05:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks for the responses! So basically, if you just get a CAI (such as AEM) and a different muffler (such as bosal prosport) you won't see any gains from new injectors or FPR? (stock setup can handle the added air flow) But if you get modified exhaust (HFC) with headers then go with the FPR and maybe injectors also....</div>

With the added intake and exhaust the power gains wont be necessary to buy a FPR.. When and if u get ur headers and modded exhaust, then i would suggest ur FPR..

Fishboy55
09-29-2002, 06:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey chip, i think i can find u a HFC locally for cheap. benard was talking about it with me the other day...</div>
Cool. We'll talk about it next week. $135 is a good price, so if we can get it cheper locally It'll leave more money for installation. Thanks allan.

Come On Brown Santa!!!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif