PDA

View Full Version : new rotors, new pads, new mushy crappy braking.. Y?

atx
08-10-2004, 02:54 AM
i put on new pads and rotors, do they need to be worn in? they are mushy, and dont stop for crap. I didnt get any oils or anything on the pads or rotors. what can i do?

Jet Black
08-10-2004, 04:51 AM
Yep theirs a critical break in procedure (look it up on google). What kind of pads/rotors did you just get? Also whens the last time you changed the brake fluid? If you drive your car into the ground like me, the brake fluid needs to be changed every year atleast.

Im about to get my pads/rotors today, and im about to say goodbye to my 70k old POS OEM brakes (coming to a full stop feels like ABS is kicking in).

pinoyesv6
08-10-2004, 09:17 AM
when you changed the brakes, did you remove teh brake line from the caliper? if you did, you introduced some air into your brake lines. and they need to be bled.

RedGalant2k1
08-11-2004, 10:28 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atx)</div><div class='quotemain'>i put on new pads and rotors, do they need to be worn in? they are mushy, and dont stop for crap. I didnt get any oils or anything on the pads or rotors. what can i do?</div>

There is a general break-in period of a hundred miles or so to let the brake pads seed to the rotors, you should allow yourself extra stopping distance, and understand that while new they make be squeaking, or feel perhaps a little 'mushy'.