PDA

View Full Version : Best brakes for the 8G? (Metallic, semimetallic, others)

galantebeige
08-11-2004, 11:32 PM
My last question for today https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

So they have these types in Autozone, Napa, they recomended me to get the ceramics (?) I think he said. Because it was the same as stock.
The metallic is lifetime warranty, so is that for real? lifetime? So, put it in once and forget it? :roll:

Are these metallics going to ruin the rotor? Why would the guy say ceramics?

What about the brake dust factor, which one makes more/less/none?

Thanks!! :puzzled1:

pinoyesv6
08-11-2004, 11:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantebeige)</div><div class='quotemain'>

So they have these types in Autozone, Napa, they recomended me to get the ceramics (?) I think he said. Because it was the same as stock.
The metallic is lifetime warranty, so is that for real? lifetime? So, put it in once and forget it? Â*:roll: Â*
</div>

lifetime means when the pad wears down, you take it back and you get a new pair. that is if you meet all the requirements to get new pads.

o1naturalhigh
08-11-2004, 11:56 PM
i think the lifetime with autozone is....u can't let them wear down all the way to the metal. this voids warranty....bring them back before this happens, and u will get free pads each time u do this

galantebeige
08-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Are these metallics going to ruin the rotors? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

BlankMan
08-12-2004, 08:55 AM
No - but they will be louder than ceramics and are more prone to squealing. Brakes, like any other part, have many options and there are pros and cons for each one. Things like dust, noise, wear, etc...

J

pinoyesv6
08-12-2004, 09:05 AM
the guy at the parts counter said to use the ceramic pads probably for these two reasons. ceramic pads tend to last longer and ceramic pads produce a lighter colored brake dust the doesn't stick to the wheel as easily as lets say semi metallic pads.

what kinds of rotors are you using?? i remember manybrews our friendly mitsu tech saying that with the stock rotors the oem pads were the best. many times people complain more about using these "high peformance" brake pads on the stock rotors. the thing is, our stock rotors as you know tend to warp really easily, even with the stock pads. when you introduce these "high peformance" brake rotors, they tend to run hotter than the oem pads. or in other words, the rotor can warp much easier now since they are being introduced with more higher heat. just a thought.

but yea what kind of pads are you looking at. im using autozone's albany brake pads. they're autzone's "midgrade" brake pad. they're good enough for me i guess. the car stops. the pads are cheap, lifetime warranty. the only downside to these pads are they they emit this brown brake dust. and unlike other brake pads, the dust not only stickes really easily to your brake components and wheels, the pads produces alot of them. and that results in brake noise too.

galantebeige
08-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Very insightful responses, thanks
I am still using my stock rotors.
The way I think I should go is to just get the OEM equivalent - ceramic - for now, and if in the future if I got the money ( :roll: ) , I would replace and install quality rotors and metallic pads....