PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel

Import_Beast
08-12-2004, 05:04 PM
im redoing the interior in white and blue what can i do to the steering wheel cuz i dont want everythin white and blue and the sterring wheel still brown.. so any suggestion's? thanks

know_fun
08-12-2004, 05:31 PM
your not suppose to take ur airbags out because its the law or someting but jus get like a trim for ur steeringwheel.

Import_Beast
08-12-2004, 06:15 PM
yea i wasnt gonna take out the airbag i was juss seeing if any of u had a way/idea i can change the color of the steering wheel

Bigg Boi
08-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Is this airbag rule a national thing? Because I wanted to replace mine with a black racing wheel that had a horn button.

Livn2sk8
08-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Damn the airbags, get rid of them all!!!

j/k, but seriously.....I don't think most cops know "exactly" which cars come WITH airbags...so, if you get pulled over, I doubt he's gonna give you sh*t. Get a new steering wheel, and sell the airbags on ebay like everybody else...there are tons of them for sale.

Import_Beast
08-12-2004, 06:51 PM
well i was planning on leaving the stock look...but if all else fails then ill get a new steering wheel....and i dont think the air bag rule is a national thing cuz theres tons of 1g eclipse and other cars that dont come with airbags

brandon
08-13-2004, 07:09 AM
Depends on the cop obviously... you know that 50% of the time the cop is gonna break your balls for having an aftermarket steering wheel whether you had airbags or not...

jluv97
08-13-2004, 09:09 AM
It is illegal to remove any safety device installed by the manufacturer, including airbags.
You can paint the steering wheel (a few members have done this, myself included). In most cases touchups are often required, but you will get the look you are going for. I would advise that you find a steering wheel cover instead of painting the actual wheel, it will look much cleaner and wear better.

JiP
08-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Its illegal to do a lot of things...but who gives a rats ass.

You can paint ur steering wheel but its gona rub off after a short while from everyday around the wheel part, I suggest painting the whole thing but then putting a wheel cover on it. Your airbag/horn section will stay find but the wheel part defintly gona get rubbed off from the friction/ making turns etc..

Livn2sk8
08-13-2004, 06:41 PM
It is illegal to have Tint darker than X% (depending on your state/city)
It is illegal to modify your exhaust in any way, shape, or form
it is illegal to alter the color of your turn signals
it is illegal to drive faster than the posted speed limit
it is illegal to mess with any part of the A/C lines in your engine bay (but some people still get rid of their A/C)

Just sayin, just cuz it's illegal, doesn't mean people don't do it....just play it safe...ya know? Don't go looking for trouble.

Mindless
08-13-2004, 06:47 PM
[quote="JiP"]Its illegal to do a lot of things...but who gives a rats ass.
quote]

Exactly...who gives a flying shit....it's your own personal property....if you want to ride around without a single safety device then that's your perogative. As far as I'm concerned the government can kiss my ass....they have no right to tell me or you what we can and can't do with our own personal property.

Bottom line: go for it.

pinoyesv6
08-13-2004, 07:49 PM
you guys are forgetting something. the insurance company.

put an illegal exhaust, just getin in trouble by the law
illegal lights. law thing
tinted windows. law thing.

but once you get to safety like removing the airbags or the crash bar, guess who can get on your case. the insurance company.

if you remove the airbags and the insurance company finds out, guess who can raise your rates, or shoot, even drop you. and with the law, you pay your fine do your punishment and you're good to go until the next time u get caught. with insurance, that rate hike will never end until those safety devices are put back in

or lets say sum1 was driving your car and something happened and the airbags were supposed to pop out. guess who's gonna be at least partially at fault. especially since the insurance company doesnt know.

oh yea, good luck finding a shop to do it, if you can't do it yourself. many shops won't do it because of the liability issue. shops have trouble enough just putting in cut off switches.

Import_Beast
08-13-2004, 09:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>Its illegal to do a lot of things...but who gives a rats ass.

You can paint ur steering wheel but its gona rub off after a short while from everyday around the wheel part, I suggest painting the whole thing but then putting a wheel cover on it. Â*Your airbag/horn section will stay find but the wheel part defintly gona get rubbed off from the friction/ making turns etc..</div>

yea that would work...what kinda paint should i use?

know_fun
08-13-2004, 11:37 PM
there should be custom trims for wheels. i'd look into that instead of doing someting alil more permanent

Import_Beast
08-14-2004, 10:27 AM
well i dont think ima be changing the color back but i was thinking painting it and then putting the wheel cover...i just dont want anything to be left brown..but if u guys find anything that might work better just let me know

JiP
08-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Use whatever you used on the rest of the car..vynle spray paint =P

as for modding...modding anything on your car will piss off your insurance company..but if you dont get a ticket they will never know about it, and in most cases they dont even know then either. My insurance company has know idea that I got 2 speeding tickets on my record =P

Personaly..I think airbags are a good thing retards who remove the steering wheel for an aftermarket cause it has a NOS button on it, and having that button alone will add 10hp are retards. Rather have my head hit an airbag then smash my face into that NOS button..