PDA

View Full Version : flushing oil over n over (is it worthed?)

RoOkS
08-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Hello guys,

Read in a indo mitsu club abt oil flushing. Basically you buy 2 5litre bottles of cheap oil and 2 cheap oil filters and 1 oil flush liquid.

step1: Drain the old oil
and chuck out old filter

step2:put cheap oil filter on
fill with cheap oil
fill with oil flush product

step3:turn on engine as desc in oil flushing product.

let cheap oil out
remove cheap oil filter
repeat step2 and step3
till oil comes out clean and clear.

then apply good oil and good oil filter.

NOW..needing your 2cents whether or not oil flushing is worthed or just a load of #%$^$ . :roll:

thanks all

Livn2sk8
08-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Honestly never heard of that, i'm curious now as well.

pinoyesv6
08-12-2004, 10:33 PM
i haven't heard much about this either but what gets me is why would u use a cheap oil filter in the flushing stage. i mean most "cheap" oil filters don't have as good of a filtering quality as lets say a high quality one that you would use everyday, no questions asked type of filter. so pretty much you use the oil flush product to loosen up this gunk and then you want to circulate it in your engine over and over again because you used a cheap oil filter??

peanotation
08-12-2004, 11:07 PM
i dont know about that oil flusher stuff. i was reading on the car maintenance bibles that if you want to switch from regular oil to synthetic or vice versa, you have to take out your regular oil, put in 0-30 (i believe) run the car, then let it out and put the new different oil in. then it went on to say a lot of people have ruined their gaskets and seals because the 0-30 oil is super thin and eats away at all the protective elements.

when i change my oil, i buy 6 quarts. take out the oil and old filter, and while the oil plug is off, pour in one quart of oil. it will take about 2 minutes to come to a slow drip, but you'll see thick dirty oil for a while, then nice clean oil at the end of the 1 quart you just used to flush the engine. then i fill up with the remaining 5 quarts.

RoOkS
08-12-2004, 11:22 PM
thanks for the responses guys. yeah i agree with Mr Peanotation in that we can just pour abt 1.2 litres of oil to clear out the crappy old oil ...well i'm heading to the nearest auto supply to ask around ..hope they wont laugh at me too hard.. yarrr...
i think the myth of the oil flushing liquid is true though.

posting news soonish.

JiP
08-13-2004, 04:09 PM
I duno about eating away protective elements but I have heard for years that flushes arent always the best thing, that in most cases, especially on high mileage engines that the "crud" is usualy whats plugging leaks and flushing it will wash away the crud and cause more problems... Just like when your trannys actin up and you have it flushed and suddenly your tranny dies. I believe theres been a few posts about that on this group.

I have also heard that majority of oil today is compatible with synthetic and won't cause a problem. I have swapped back and forth a few times and never had any problem. I never had a flush in between either.

But anyway as far as oil filters go, if you normal use a good quality filter I think a better idea would be to leave that filter in place while doing the flush, and skipping the step saying to use the shity filter. and when your done replace the old filter with a brand new one.