PDA

View Full Version : tranny problem

manybrews
09-28-2002, 08:47 AM
probably stripped torque converter splines.

if there was no prior indication of problems, its probably NOT internal componant failures. (although to replace the torque converter, you DO need to have the trans removed).

the good news is that its not nearly as expensive as a trans overhaul.

make SURE you take it to a REPUTABLE mitsu shop, and NOT some aftermarket trans repair shop.
make SURE you inform them that you know about the problem some of these have with stripping torque converter splines, or otherwise they will probably just try and sell you a new trans (which comes with a torque converter, so it will fix it, just at about an additional 1700 dollars).

im not saying its definatly the torque converter, but whenever you loose all forward and reverse gears for no reason at all, and the fluid is full and NOT bunrt, then its usually stripped torque converter splines.

95galant-s
09-28-2002, 10:04 AM
yea ive called some tranny places and they had the same reply. they also say it could be the planetary gear set. im hoping its just the tc since thats about 1/3 of the cost of having it rebuilt.
if it needs to be rebuilt im thinkin of just converting it to a 5 speed so i dont have to deal with these stupid autos anymore (replaced the tranny in my previous truck 4 times)

manybrews
09-28-2002, 11:19 AM
yea ive called some tranny places and they had the same reply. they also say it could be the planetary gear set. im hoping its just the tc since thats about 1/3 of the cost of having it rebuilt.
if it needs to be rebuilt im thinkin of just converting it to a 5 speed so i dont have to deal with these stupid autos anymore (replaced the tranny in my previous truck 4 times)

retrofitting is going to cost WAY more than it would cost just to replace the auto.