PDA

View Full Version : coilover vs. springs

raw0055
08-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Hey guys I would like to know what are the pro's and con's with coilovers vs. springs. And how is the ride with each?

quicksilver22
08-21-2004, 03:38 PM
search.

peanotation
08-21-2004, 03:43 PM
coilovers are a more aggressive drop, but a less comfortable ride. coilovers tend to bottom out the struts, and pretty much kill them no matter what after 1-2 years. springs are more practical for every day use, and won't drop you as much. sadly, i had to switch to springs after being on coilovers for a year and a half because i was just sick and tired of ruining my car because of the shitty southern cali roads.

pinoyesv6
08-21-2004, 06:19 PM
now when you say coilovers, do you mean adjustable springs or do you mean the real cloilovers from like tein and JIC? there's a big difference between the two.

regular lowering springs will give you a better ride than adjustable springs.

but the adjustable springs do give you the option of changning the ride height. that adjustability is what causes a poorer ride than just regular lowering springs.

now tru coilovers like the ones made from JIC and tein will give you a better ride than the regular lowering springs and the adjustable ones since the shock/strut was made to go with the springs on the coilovers.

now the thing is, these tru coilvoers are way more expensive. and many have multiple levels of adjustability. and well, if you don't know how to tune them or don't know someone that can, then it could just be a big waste of money cuz they ride and handling quality can be really bad if these bad boys aren't tuned right.

Jet Black
08-22-2004, 04:32 PM
Ya and properly tuning the expensive coilover setups is no easy task either.

naughtika
09-03-2004, 09:09 AM
i'm deciding to lower my car or not...

i was told by a mechanic that if you lower your ride, the car's entire integrity would deteriorate (in the long run) as the car would be more bumpier (more like hitting tin cans) and the whole chassis would loosen up (nuts n bolts loosening up, welds and seams cracking etc.) I know that if you lower your ride would make it handle more (no doubt i want that) but would it be as comfortable as riding in a JAGUAR, MERCEDES BENZ, etc?

Does these "expensive bad boys" Proper Coilovers make the car ride like as if you're driving a new car? even if it's lowered?

tolowbass
09-03-2004, 09:34 AM
if you want the feel of a jag or mercedes then sell your car and buy one of those. a G will never ride like one of those. the more you lower your ride the stiffer the ride will be no matter how expensive your setup is.

NYmagicstk
10-08-2004, 01:20 AM
[b]<span style='color:blue'>So which is better, the $1,200 coilover suspension system, or $129 adjustable shocks and$250 lowering springs?
I'm just going off of JC whitney prices for the sake of arguement. </span>

NYmagicstk
10-08-2004, 01:25 AM
[b]<span style='color:blue'>Oh, and where can I find coilovers and or spings/shocks for G's, or do we use eclipse parts?</span>

Insane99
10-08-2004, 01:58 AM
now when you say coilovers, do you mean adjustable springs or do you mean the real cloilovers from like tein and JIC? there's a big difference between the two.

regular lowering springs will give you a better ride than adjustable springs.

but the adjustable springs do give you the option of changning the ride height. that adjustability is what causes a poorer ride than just regular lowering springs.

now tru coilovers like the ones made from JIC and tein will give you a better ride than the regular lowering springs and the adjustable ones since the shock/strut was made to go with the springs on the coilovers.

now the thing is, these tru coilvoers are way more expensive. and many have multiple levels of adjustability. and well, if you don't know how to tune them or don't know someone that can, then it could just be a big waste of money cuz they ride and handling quality can be really bad if these bad boys aren't tuned right.

Are the ground controls REAL coilovers? I want them and KYB AGX's. I'll probably keep the back near stock height and drop the front even with the back (gap wise).Would this bottom out the shocks?

peanotation
10-08-2004, 02:01 AM
[quote=NYmagicstk][b]<span style='color:blue'>So which is better, the $1,200 coilover suspension system, or $129 adjustable shocks and$250 lowering springs?
I'm just going off of JC whitney prices for the sake of arguement. </span>

just get the shocks+springs, not the $1,200 set up. you will never know the difference.

NYmagicstk
10-08-2004, 02:09 AM
[b]<span style='color:blue'>but with the coilovers it says you can drop the front and rear up to 3.5" is that a good thing?</span>

peanotation
10-08-2004, 02:16 AM
[quote=NYmagicstk][b]<span style='color:blue'>but with the coilovers it says you can drop the front and rear up to 3.5" is that a good thing?</span>

if you want to take out your oil pan on the first speed bump and not be able to get into/out of parking lots. 3.5" is LOW. i wouldn't do, cause i like driving my car, but go ahead if you think you'll like it.

NYmagicstk
10-08-2004, 02:52 AM
[b]<span style='color:blue'>hell no, not in NYC. My car would be fucked up. The fucking potholes already cracked my chrome rim. I wouldn't drop my car that low unless it was sitting at a show.
How low do most springs drop your car?</span>

peanotation
10-08-2004, 02:54 AM
[quote=NYmagicstk][b]<span style='color:blue'>hell no, not in NYC. My car would be fucked up. The fucking potholes already cracked my chrome rim. I wouldn't drop my car that low unless it was sitting at a show.
How low do most springs drop your car?</span>

they will say. pro kit i know for both 7 and 8Gs is 1.5" and looks good for being such a small drop. i know there's like three times as many springs to choose from for 8Gs than for 7Gs. shop around a bit, you'll see that they all tell you. anything more than a 2" drop is going to be a bit aggressive.

NYmagicstk
10-08-2004, 02:57 AM
[b]<span style='color:blue'>True, I was lookin for something between 1.5 and 2, more towrads 2 though, I have 17's, and I want them right in the wheel well.</span>

brandon
10-08-2004, 07:04 AM
Lowered car in NYC = bad.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

NYmagicstk
10-10-2004, 01:27 PM
[b]<span style='color:blue'>Ok, so basically a spring/ shock set-up is better than a coilover system as far as ride quality right? I don't want my G to feel like an old ass lincoln all bouncy and shit, and I on't want it to feel like a p.o.s. civic, all stiff so my ass and back hurt either. Lol.</span>

peanotation
10-10-2004, 02:05 PM
[quote=NYmagicstk][b]<span style='color:blue'>Ok, so basically a spring/ shock set-up is better than a coilover system as far as ride quality right? I don't want my G to feel like an old ass lincoln all bouncy and shit, and I on't want it to feel like a p.o.s. civic, all stiff so my ass and back hurt either. Lol.</span>

correct, then springs/shocks are your best bet. you'll be happier down the road when you dont feel like hitting bumps on the highway with your coilovers.

cballz 12
10-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Ok this might answer my questions i use my car year round and i was thinking about coilovers for the snow days is it hard to raise and lower the car and also where can i get the GC coilovers and what else needs to be changed???

pinoyesv6
10-11-2004, 05:00 PM
raising and lowering your car isn't too difficult. depending on how low you drop the car, you will more than likely need a nice floor jack to get the car into the air quick and easy to adjust the coils.

but yea, after you do raise or lower your ride, you should get your alignment checked. messing with your ride height will affect your alignment. and things could start to get expensive if you start riding around with a bad alignment.

brandon
10-12-2004, 07:45 AM
Like pinoy said, it isn't hard to raise and lower the height... but it can be time consuming and aggravating.

pinoyesv6
10-12-2004, 07:53 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>Like pinoy said, it isn't hard to raise and lower the height... but it can be time consuming and aggravating.</div>

yea. keep it lowered. you too can be Mr. Plow. make extra money plowing driveways with your lowered car lol.

http://www.madozzyzone.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mr%20plow.JPG