PDA

View Full Version : 7G Auto -> 5spd conversion...

seth98esT
08-24-2004, 11:11 PM
Parts you need:

7g/2g turbo 5spd transmission
7g/2g turbo rear 5spd transmission perch
7bolt Flywheel
Clutch/Pressure plate
Clutch master cylinder
Clucth slave cylinder
Clutch hydrolic line
Clutch line
Shifter assembley
Shifter cables
Shifter cable bracket
4 metal clips to hold the shifter cables to the bracket and to the shifter assembly
5spd Brake pedal assembly
5spd Clutch pedal assembly

Thats pretty much the parts list ladies and gents. The place for the master cylinder is marked, just cut the holes out and bolt it up. Everything else just replaces the Auto stuff. You might need to wire up a relay for to be able to start the car, I am not sure. I know 4g64terror did something like that. Anywho here is his pics:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290548787 ('http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290548787')
(No you do not have to pull your motor, just drop the tranny stright down and jack the new one up)

MidNightRacing
09-11-2004, 08:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Â*
You might need to wire up a relay for to be able to start the car, I am not sure. Â*I know 4g64terror did something like that. </div>

94-96 the rear tranny mout stays the same it's the front 5speed mount u need. On 97-98 you just need the rear mount front stays the same.
and your goingin to have to wire up a relay for the starter.
http://www.ecanfix.com/~mdhamilton/images/stuff/inhibitor2.jpg just connect those two wires

seth98esT
09-12-2004, 03:50 PM
What plug is that?

MidNightRacing
09-12-2004, 04:50 PM
its a inhibitor switch

Blue Ice
10-03-2004, 11:49 AM
i just looked at an OOOOOOLD post that had a link to 1g dsm auto to trannt conversion. they mentioned taking out the " auto computer." In thinking that our cars basically have a "computer" for everything, my question is.
Is there a box we have to remove or replace that would get the car to recognize it is manual and not automatic. Then the car will start without having to "rig" it.

peanotation
10-03-2004, 04:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>i just looked at an OOOOOOLD post that had a link to 1g dsm auto to trannt conversion. Â*they mentioned taking out the " auto computer." Â*In thinking that our cars basically have a "computer" for everything, my question is. Â*
Is there a box we have to remove or replace that would get the car to recognize it is manual and not automatic. Â*Then the car will start without having to "rig" it.</div>

the point of "rigging" the car with the relay is because it's expecting to see an automatic there there in Park, and it's not. i believe the ignition won't throw to the other pole in the relay to allow you to start the car. and no, there is no use for an automatic ECU after the auto tranny is out, because the car no longer needs to shift the gears, you're doing all the work now

Blue Ice
10-03-2004, 04:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> it's expecting to see an automatic there in Park, and it's not. Â*</div>
My feelings is that something can be done differently to get it to expect manual. I guess what i'm trying to say is that there probably is something that is being overlooked when doing the swap whether it be ecu, a cable, or a wire that is connected differently. My bet is it's an ecu, or something computer wise on the car.

peanotation
10-03-2004, 05:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> it's expecting to see an automatic there in Park, and it's not. Â*</div>
My feelings is that something can be done differently to get it to expect manual. I guess what i'm trying to say is that there probably is something that is being overlooked when doing the swap whether it be ecu, a cable, or a wire that is connected differently. My bet is it's an ecu, or something computer wise on the car.</div>

you're completely forgetting the fact it takes about 3 minutes to make the car start up without the auto tranny in there. all it needs is a simple relay, and i think you can even cross wires on the existing relay that's there. the process is about as complicated as tying your shoes.

JiP
11-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Are the axles the same? My pass side axle needs to be replaced pretty soon..But I plan to swap tranny's and rather not have to buy a galant spec axle, and then spendmore cash on one that fits the eclipse manual tranny.

seth98esT
11-07-2004, 12:38 PM
I couldnt get my 2g GST axles to fit into my 7g tranny. I never did count the spines though. I bought Raxles and they fit like a charm. I do not think there is a difference between 7g auto and 7g 5spd axles.

Also, how did you get your batter next to your strut tower? Where do you wire the relay to for the starter?

MidNightRacing
11-07-2004, 12:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'> I do not think there is a difference between 7g auto and 7g 5spd axles.

Also, how did you get your batter next to your strut tower? Â*Where do you wire the relay to for the starter?</div>

No diffrenct between 7g auto axles to manuel axles. you askin me bout the battery? well thats a eclipse. the connector is exactly the same as our 7g's. im jus to poor to afford a digi cam to take pics so i stole that one https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif I have no relay i have wires running straight to a switch inside the car.

JiP
11-07-2004, 04:45 PM
I think our batt willfit in that area...but gonna have to install some brackets to hold the tray in place...probably better to weld the brackets inplace and bolt the tray down to it. And you may have to move the cruise control solenoids and crap thats in that corner...though I supose with 5spd there is no more cruise control right?

JiP
11-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Why do gst axles not fit into the 7g tranny, but fit into the 7g hub??

O well looks like I'll be buying another set of axles when I swap tranny's.

My boot has been ripped on the drivers side for like 6 months now..I know the axle has got to be due to snap any day now...

seth98esT
11-08-2004, 07:52 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidNightRacing)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'> I do not think there is a difference between 7g auto and 7g 5spd axles.

Also, how did you get your batter next to your strut tower? Â*Where do you wire the relay to for the starter?</div>

No diffrenct between 7g auto axles to manuel axles. you askin me bout the battery? well thats a eclipse. the connector is exactly the same as our 7g's. im jus to poor to afford a digi cam to take pics so i stole that one https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif I have no relay i have wires running straight to a switch inside the car.</div>

Which wires?

peanotation
11-08-2004, 07:53 AM
i kinda want to get the s2000 style starter switch, but i just don't know which wires i need to fuck with, and the service manual isn't too helpfull in that department

MidNightRacing
11-11-2004, 03:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Which wires?</div>

Just some extra wire from thoes two black wires to a switch which allows the starter to engage. I'll have my own pics up soon of connectors that we dont need n some other stuff too.

01rbuild
11-20-2004, 04:26 PM
what would be the diff on 8g i need hlp plz

seth98esT
11-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Pretty much the same concept. Cept things like the mounts may be the same between auto and 5spd. You still will most likely need to wire a relay for the starter and do the inibitor switch wiring. Its easy really, theres only one way to do it..

MidNightRacing
11-26-2004, 09:42 PM
***IMPORTANT ADDITON***

You will have to use a manuel tranny starter for your swap. the gear housing on the auto tranny is shorter then a manuel so it wont properly engage.

seth98esT
11-26-2004, 09:59 PM
Thats what I figured. I have my auto starter on and test the starter on accident and it just spun lol. I have a 5spd starter on there now, should work great https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Also it would be a wise decision to buy new 5spd flywheel bolts from www.slowboyracing.com or www.diamondstarmotorsport.com The auto ones are shorter then the 5spd ones says peano.

peanotation
11-26-2004, 11:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'> The auto ones are shorter then the 5spd ones says peano.</div>

this is correct. the auto ones are no longer than an inch, but the 5spd ones are about an inch and a half, with only the lower half threaded. highly recomended you buy new ones.

JiP
12-05-2004, 02:21 PM
Schematics for the starter don't seem right... I may have gone retarded and read them wrong but they say the A/T has no starter relay circuit completes when you turn the key and it is in park or neutral, outside of P/N the path is broken and car won't start but not because of a relay but because of the P/N switch. The M/t is shown as having a relay that is controlled by the clutch pedal, clutch pedal switch completes the circuit alowing the relay to swap positions and supply the starter with the + side to start up.

Are you guys who swapped installing the clutch position switch or ignoring that all together?

seth98esT
12-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Yeah everyone who converts has to install a relay for the starter. Not sure how everyone is wiring it, but theres several different ways it could be done.

JiP
12-05-2004, 07:09 PM
well acording to these diagrams, and peno's site...tying the black/yel wires together means no realy...but that also means you could start the car with the clutch in and car possibly in gear...

lazyness vs saftey issue. lol

Blue Ice
12-05-2004, 10:04 PM
hmm When i was pulling my pedals from the donar G for the clutch i noticed that there was a type of plug / connection that was hooked to the clutch pedal. Could this have something to do with the relay JIP is talking about?

peanotation
12-05-2004, 10:43 PM
hmm When i was pulling my pedals from the donar G for the clutch i noticed that there was a type of plug / connection that was hooked to the clutch pedal. Could this have something to do with the relay JIP is talking about?

i think that later model 7Gs used a switch on the clutch pedal to prevent the car from being started unless the clutch was pushed in. pretty much any brand new car you buy wont let you start it unless the clutch is in. doesn't matter if the shifter is in neutral, but it prevents idiots from starting their car in gear.

whats the point of caring if you're just gonna throw it all at a shop anyways

seth98esT
12-05-2004, 11:29 PM
Heh most 1g/2g guys disconnect that switch anyway. YOU cant have that switch plugged in if you want to use a remote start. Just make sure you have a good e-brake and its not in gear. No biggie 8)

JiP
12-06-2004, 01:15 PM

Thats exactly what i'm talking about. Thats the clutch position switch..pretty much the same as the Brake position switch. When you hit the clutch the switch grounds the starter relay, so that if you were to turn your key to START the starter will turn over. If your not on the clutch the switch holds the starter relay's ground open, so if you turn the key to START the power from the bettery never gets to reach the starter, this way you can't accidentaly start the car while its in gear, in gear or not the clutch won't be connected to the engine with your foot on it, and this way the car won't take off on you.

Brake switch works the same way except when you press the brake pedal down the switch activates the rear brake lights and triggers the cruise control if you have it on to turn off and close the throttle plate.

Also peno said he kept the 2 pin sensor on the brake pedal from the 5spd, its always better to keep the sensors that are made for your ecu (4pin on the auto with cruise control), perhaps that is why your cruise control isn't working for ya..I havn't gotten a chance to browse over the schematics for that yet.

Joaltava
12-22-2004, 05:09 PM
Parts you need:

7bolt Flywheel
Clutch/Pressure plate
Clutch master cylinder
Clucth slave cylinder
Clutch hydrolic line
Clutch line
Shifter assembley
Shifter cables
Shifter cable bracket
4 metal clips to hold the shifter cables to the bracket and to the shifter assembly

Thats pretty much the parts list ladies and gents. The place fo the master cylinder is market, just cut the holes out and bolt it up. Everything else just replaces the Auto stuff. You might need to wire up a relay for to be able to start the car, I am not sure. I know 4g64terror did something like that. Anywho here is his pics:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290548787 ('http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290548787')
(No you do not have to pull your motor, just drop the tranny stright down and jack the new one up)

Guys my auto tranny broke yesterday :cry: and i was searching and this post is what i found, i guess this all i will be needing to have the convertion done. My mechanic is going to charge me $175 dollars to have my auto changed to a manny. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

peanotation
12-23-2004, 12:27 AM
Parts you need:

7bolt Flywheel
Clutch/Pressure plate
Clutch master cylinder
Clucth slave cylinder
Clutch hydrolic line
Clutch line
Shifter assembley
Shifter cables
Shifter cable bracket

Thats pretty much the parts list ladies and gents. The place fo the master cylinder is market, just cut the holes out and bolt it up. Everything else just replaces the Auto stuff. You might need to wire up a relay for to be able to start the car, I am not sure. I know 4g64terror did something like that. Anywho here is his pics:

Guys my auto tranny broke yesterday :cry: and i was searching and this post is what i found, i guess this all i will be needing to have the convertion done. My mechanic is going to charge me $175 dollars to have my auto changed to a manny. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

NOOOOOOOO. people need to stop taking their cars into their mechanics to get these kind of projects done. buy a honda if you're going to do that. i wrote the biggest overly-detailed tutorial for the 5spd swap, and no one is using it :cry:

if something breaks or goes bad or needs to be adjusted, you'll know exactly what to do. now you'll have to wait, call your mechanic, have him butcher some solution for you, and then pay him again for it. and if you do it yourself you can actually learn something https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Joaltava
12-23-2004, 05:16 PM
see the problem is i dont have time to do the project, this is the second time my tranny went, the last time i went ahead with my brother and did the swap, now i dont have time due to my new job, my mechanic is pretty good i dont think he will f*&^ me up i know he will do a good job, i just asked you guys this question so i know what i will need, now is it really hard to do the auto to manny change cause it wasnt that hard for my auto to auto change

peanotation
12-24-2004, 09:12 AM
read my tutorial!!!!! i wrote it and no one is using it :cry:

parts list, budget, enough detail for a 3 year old to do it

http://socallifestyle.com/tutorial/tutorial.html ('http://socallifestyle.com/tutorial/tutorial.html')

Joaltava
12-24-2004, 05:27 PM
Hey peanotation that was an awsome tutorial https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif i just have on question other than the clutch disc, pressure plate, a throwout bearing, and a clutch alignment tool cant i just get everything else from a donor car at the junkyard, or what do you recomend i get new other than the things i stated

peanotation
12-24-2004, 09:33 PM
Hey peanotation that was an awsome tutorial https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif i just have on question other than the clutch disc, pressure plate, a throwout bearing, and a clutch alignment tool cant i just get everything else from a donor car at the junkyard, or what do you recomend i get new other than the things i stated

it's highly recomended to get a brand new master cyl., slave cyl., clutch fork, fulcrum ball, and that's all i can think of off the top of my head. IMO i really recomend you get a new flywheel, and go with an act streetlite if you can spend the money. the overall quality is a lot higher than the stock one, and it's lighter/stronger too.

things that you dont NEED to get brand new, but should, are shifter base bushings, shifter cable bushings, and the manual tranny starter. i've had bad luck with manual tranny starters (i went through 3 before i got a good one) and the bushings get really worn over time. also, build your own clutch line from the SS teflon line, the mitsu OEM hardline or aftermarket brake line is crap and will go out on you. happens all the time. all other parts you can get from a donor/junk yard card.

Joaltava
12-27-2004, 04:31 PM
ok i have seen on ebay the ACT streetlite clutch but i dont know what model i should get, they have a ACT Clutch Kit MaXX Xtreme 6 Pad, ACT Clutch Kit Heavy Race 6 Pad, ACT Clutch Kit Heavy Race 4 6 Pad, ACT Clutch Kit Heavy Race, ACT Clutch Kit Xtreme Street, and some other ones, which one did you get for your car. also where can i get a flyweel brand new other than the dealer at a good price.

Joaltava
12-27-2004, 04:54 PM
The master cylingder that i have on my car wont work, i will need a new master cylinder and slave cylinder, where can i get then at a good price, actually where can i get all those parts new at a fairly good price not the price the dealer gives us

peanotation
12-27-2004, 06:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joaltava)</div><div class='quotemain'>The master cylingder that i have on my car wont work, i will need a new master cylinder and slave cylinder, where can i get then at a good price, actually where can i get all those parts new at a fairly good price not the price the dealer gives us</div>

READ MY TUTORIAL!!!!!!!!

i tell you where to get a brand new master and slave for the cheapest anywhere. for the flywheel, if you want to get an OEM one, try searching all of the vendors i have under the basic vendor list ('http://socallifestyle.com/tutorial/vendorlist.html'), shopping.yahoo.com, ebay, froogle.com, and any online store you know to carry engine/tranny parts for cars.

i bought an act 2100 clutch, and thats the strongest you should get on a stock tranny.

Joaltava
12-28-2004, 06:03 PM
alright thanks :thumbsup: i will look around and see what i find and the price on it.

Joaltava
12-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Hey peanotation i went ahead and spoke with ACT and they informed me that this clutch system LASER STAGE I RACING CLUTCH KIT is the best one i should get for my car. it works for everyday drive and also for racing. Is this the clutch system you have, also they said this "Yet we do not recommend Stage II and III for daily driving since pedal
pressure is really hard so we do not recommended"

Tell me what u think https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

peanotation
12-30-2004, 12:10 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joaltava)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey peanotation i went ahead and spoke with ACT and they informed me that this clutch system LASER STAGE I RACING CLUTCH KIT is the best one i should get for my car. it works for everyday drive and also for racing. Is this the clutch system you have, also they said this "Yet we do not recommend Stage II and III for daily driving since pedal
pressure is really hard so we do not recommended"

Tell me what u think Â*:D</div>

well, here's the thing. first off, i've never really heard of that clutch, and there's a kinda big thread on dsmtuners discussing different clutch brands and alternatives to ACT.

the best clutch you can get for a mostly stock engine (nothing over 30hp) is the ACT 2100. it's very hard to press and very stiff, but it's well worth it, as it's perfect for daily driving and perfect for some moderate to slight abuse. good for launching sparingly, and it provides a ton of grip. a lot of people have used the 2600 though as well on stock engines. it's a very aggressive clutch, but it mostly dominates the 400hp GSXs that kinda run rampant on the boards there.

i'm kinda drunk, sorry if this isnt' making sense. the bottom line, get the ACT 2100. for our engine, it's perfect for handling the most the engine can make. it's stiff and uncomfortable for the first days, but then you just love it and get used to it's responsiveness.

Joaltava
01-03-2005, 08:08 PM
hey peanotation i am confused in a way, the clutch kit that i told you about is for the galant's but the the clutch kit that you are telling me about is for the eclipse models, now i know that some eclipse models tranny fits on ours, i am planning on buying the ACT clutch kit on ebay but i just want to make sure that i buy the correct one.

Here's the clutch kit i flound on ebay
ACT 2100 Clutch Kit DSM Eclipse 4G63 Turbo AWD FWD

peanotation
01-03-2005, 08:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joaltava)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey peanotation i am confused in a way, the clutch kit that i told you about is for the galant's but the the clutch kit that you are telling me about is for the eclipse models, now i know that some eclipse models tranny fits on ours, i am planning on buying the ACT clutch kit on ebay but i just want to make sure that i buy the correct one.

Here's the clutch kit i flound on ebay Â*
ACT 2100 Clutch Kit DSM Eclipse 4G63 Turbo AWD FWD</div>

that one is fine. as long as it's for the turbo eclipse, it will fit. i'm saying to buy a clutch kit for the eclipse turbo because you'll never find one for a 5spd galant, and all the eclipse turbo clutches/flywheels fit perfectly.

Joaltava
03-21-2005, 10:09 PM
guys i have a question will the 420a tranny work in our engines or not

seth98esT
03-21-2005, 10:50 PM
No, that engine is flipped like the 8gs. Check ebay. I bought a brand new slave cylinder for $12 shipped about 5 months ago :lauging:

Joaltava
04-02-2005, 11:36 AM
guys what about the eclipse gsx transmission, will it work with out 7g's

Blue Ice
05-27-2005, 01:10 AM
when looking at flywheels, what is the advantage of a resurfaced lightened flywheel. What have you heard about RRE lightened Flywheels

polo13199
06-20-2005, 05:41 PM
does anybody know of anywhere in NY that will do the auto to 5spd swap. I don´t have the space tools or the room to do it myself. Although I would love to but. I can buy the parts if need be and have someone else do it if anyone knows where i can get it done.

seth98esT
06-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Resurfaced = Used flywheel resurfaced to be almost new quality. Lightened, its less of a load for the engine to spin. Should rev faster and see a bit more hp to the ground.

Hit up bronxbmbr, he might be willing to do it...

DOHCstunr
06-20-2005, 06:00 PM
don't waste your time with lightened flywheels. i have actually seen a car where the flywheel shattered and pieces went right through the transmission bellhousing, the radiator, and through the hood all at once. because he used a lightened flywheel. when hey remove metal from the flywheel, the often make the flywheel structurally weaker.

instead, get a lightweight flywheel. you could buy a fidanzia aluminum, which are nice, but imo are too light for a daily driver. Probably the most durable and bang for the buck flywheel is an act chromoly streetlight, or whichever one is the 12 lb one.

polo13199
06-20-2005, 06:59 PM
does anybody know of anywhere in NY that will do the auto to 5spd swap. I don´t have the space tools or the room to do it myself. Although I would love to but. I can buy the parts if need be and have someone else do it if anyone knows where i can get it done.

bronxbombr
08-24-2005, 05:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joaltava)</div><div class='quotemain'>The master cylingder that i have on my car wont work, i will need a new master cylinder and slave cylinder, where can i get then at a good price, actually where can i get all those parts new at a fairly good price not the price the dealer gives us</div>

READ MY TUTORIAL!!!!!!!!

i tell you where to get a brand new master and slave for the cheapest anywhere. for the flywheel, if you want to get an OEM one, try searching all of the vendors i have under the basic vendor list ('http://socallifestyle.com/tutorial/vendorlist.html'), shopping.yahoo.com, ebay, froogle.com, and any online store you know to carry engine/tranny parts for cars.

i bought an act 2100 clutch, and thats the strongest you should get on a stock tranny.</div>

I have read and read your shit over and over again:) I dont think the ones that are serious about this will read it though.

The shit is Cake i and mad easy, can be done in under 7 hrs if everything is planned and all tools and necessary items are aquired.

seth98esT
08-24-2005, 06:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joaltava)</div><div class='quotemain'>The master cylingder that i have on my car wont work, i will need a new master cylinder and slave cylinder, where can i get then at a good price, actually where can i get all those parts new at a fairly good price not the price the dealer gives us</div>

READ MY TUTORIAL!!!!!!!!

i bought an act 2100 clutch, and thats the strongest you should get on a stock tranny.</div>

My 2600 works just fine with my stock trans. Grips like crazy. Its not that a 2600 is too strong or too tough for a stock trans, it just isnt very easy to control. A 2100 should be the highest ACT clutch you should go with unless you like hte pressure of a 2600.

But for me, if I did it again, I would go with one of SBRs clutches, they look awesome and retain near stock pedal pressure.

peanotation
08-24-2005, 06:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joaltava)</div><div class='quotemain'>The master cylingder that i have on my car wont work, i will need a new master cylinder and slave cylinder, where can i get then at a good price, actually where can i get all those parts new at a fairly good price not the price the dealer gives us</div>

READ MY TUTORIAL!!!!!!!!

My 2600 works just fine with my stock trans. Grips like crazy. Its not that a 2600 is too strong or too tough for a stock trans, it just isnt very easy to control. A 2100 should be the highest ACT clutch you should go with unless you like hte pressure of a 2600.

But for me, if I did it again, I would go with one of SBRs clutches, they look awesome and retain near stock pedal pressure.</div>

interesting, RRE and a few others say the 2600 isn't good for stock trannies since it has too aggressive of a bite. i guess too many people thought their busted trannies was from a 2600

seth98esT
08-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Ive never heard of a 2600 busting a 2g FWD trans. I wouldnt think the AWD trans is built any stronger then the FWD and they run 2600s all day long. Maybe Im just missing the facts, but my trans has held up so far and Im proud of that because I didnt know the condition of the trans when I put it in :lauging:

Wouldnt you tear up an axle before youd tear up the trans? I know FWD guys with drag slicks like to break axles.

SuperGALANT
10-03-2005, 01:12 PM
hey yall i did this.. no relay needed just jumpered the nutral safty switch.. that sipple in my 97 galant.. no mount needed either.. btw this is my first post and im hoping to have somepictures of my car.. got kyb adjustables and lowering springs.. plus 17 inch enkie rims.. :-D

DOHCstunr
10-03-2005, 01:24 PM
its just has to do with tranny shock.
its not going to do jack if you drive like you should, no abuse
but during launches and power shifts is when the heavier clamping force can hurt the tranny.

since the 2600 has more bite, if you were to drop the clutch and hook up, more of the actual torque is going to hit the tranny immediatly.
where as a less aggressive pressure plate would allow for "some" slippage so the shock to the tranny isnt as great.
but really, none of these things are problems if you can't hook up.

as long as you stay with the act street disk or any other "sprung hub" organic disc, you can't do much damage to a tranny in a fwd, at least from launching. the springs act to dampen the torque load. you will notice that the next step up they replace the spirngs with polyurethane bushings that dampen, but less than springs. then the full race disks always have riveted hubs.
with no dampening there, all the power from, the flywheel goes to the gearset, differential and axles. raising the chance that something will break.

when running an lsd and slicks on a fwd all these are a bigger factor. cause hooking up tests the limits of the drivetrain. and of course your tranny is only as strong as its weakest point. be that the 2 spyder differential, or the cv joint.

add that the more clutch the more drivability issues. for instance its going to be a bitch to keep the tires from spinning on a fwd with a 2900 pressure plate and 3 puck sintered iron clutch in the rain.

rule of thumb. get the least amount of clutch for the job.
but make sure its going to be enough to hold your power goals

ILL InFeCteD
05-11-2006, 11:42 AM
man that looks hard.
How much would it run to have a shop do it.

peanotation
05-11-2006, 11:45 AM
man that looks hard.
How much would it run to have a shop do it.

asked a shop in my area, they wanted $2,500 just for the labor :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

bronxbombr
05-12-2006, 04:37 PM
I can do it if you have all the parts and i do mean all the parts. I'll charge you bout 750.

bronxbombr
05-12-2006, 04:38 PM
P.S. This thread seem like a blact form the past. Ask Goosey. Maybe he can help you with your quest to success.

da1085
07-03-2006, 12:10 AM
dang this thing is old!!!!!!!......but it's still holds alot of good infos....well since RGC is back i dont have the convo we all had about the swap.....the progress is on hold due to parts in transit.....this will be the longest 3 days of my life.....the earliest day parts might get to texas is on wednesday....well im stuck with nothing to do....just wondering to ask an old answered question.......can i reuse my auto starter?? im asking because maybe someone found a reason why we cant and maybe found a way for me to reuse it..

bronxbombr
09-15-2006, 05:59 PM
its all in the posts dude.

peanotation
09-16-2006, 11:41 PM
can't use the auto starter. the gear isn't long enough to reach the teeth on the flywheel. seth says you can make it work with shims, but i took the easy way out and bought a 5spd starter, and brought back my auto pretending it was the 5spd one.

bronxbombr
09-17-2006, 12:31 AM
lolol.

Blue Ice
09-18-2006, 05:29 AM
Ok found a way around the key release cable.

The cable actually goes around to the back side of the steering column. so you have to romove the column casing and then you should see something like this.

(The picture you see is after i already seperated the cable from the pieces that fall out of the white housing. You can see the end of the cable hanging to the side)
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/MrHighC/Blue%20Ice/0918060201.jpg

remove the four bolts on the white plastic piece.it will fall off, and there are two more white plastic pieces that will come out that look like this.

(the piece on the right is what attaches to the end of the cable)
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/MrHighC/Blue%20Ice/0918060203.jpg

then you just pull the cable through the middle console and it's gone now. :D

bronxbombr
09-18-2006, 06:28 PM
nice.

Blue Ice
09-18-2006, 09:13 PM
about 60% done
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/MrHighC/Blue%20Ice/0918061559.jpg

peanotation
09-18-2006, 10:18 PM
what pillar pod is that? how well does it fit? how did you fasten it? do i ask too many questions?

bronxbombr
09-18-2006, 11:12 PM
ya, answer the questions mate.

Blue Ice
09-19-2006, 01:17 AM
what pillar pod is that? how well does it fit? how did you fasten it? do i ask too many questions?

It's one i got off ebay about two years ago. it doesn't havea smooth texture, but it fits ok. i drilled a hole between the top two pods and put a screw in that holds it in place. but it's made for 7th gen galant. i haven't seen one since though.

da1085
09-19-2006, 01:53 AM
really nice set up man!! i like the pods.....im wondering i you can send me the site where i can find out what wire to splice into for the guages, speacialy the on that mst connect to the ecu....AF ratio or even all of them if you just connect all of the gueages reciever-wires to the ecu....you'll love having a 5spd galant!...i know i love mine....make sure to do the skateboard baring....im waiting out on the short shifter since mine was cut to length by the guy that i bought it from...not bad though, kinda "short" shifter but not to short....the bearing makes alot of difference...

hope yo ucan help me out on the guage wiring(ECU hopefuly)

Blue Ice
09-19-2006, 03:21 AM
man i don't know jack about the ecu wiring, the first page has the set up for the oil presuure gauge, and the A/F is a wire tap from the engin bay. Th O2 sensor wires are located on the back of the engine near the intake manifold. i'll post pics tomorrow.

CHH
10-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Whats the actual transmission number of the compatible gearbox?
f5m22?
will the one from this lancer work? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...on-72541370.htm (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Mitsubishi/Engines-drive-trains/auction-72541370.htm)

Also I have a 6a12 not a 4g63 or 4g64, does that matter?
My current auto model number is f4a23.

Thanks for your help.

Blue Ice
10-06-2006, 05:32 PM
i would tell you that the manual tranny for the 4 cylinder engines will not bolt to the 6 cyl engine, but it's just an educated guess.i wou;d think you would need the manual transmission that came on 6 cylinder engines, say galant vr4's or 3000gt's. i would say to check first for the code of 6a12 vr4's tranny... good luck man.

seth98esT
10-06-2006, 06:01 PM
I really dont know the answer but I doubt a 4cyl trans will bolt up with the 4cyl stock bellhousing. I know the 6a13 guys can use the FWD trans from the FTO as they have a FWD non-turbo 6a13 motor to begin with. Other then that its hard to say. MIght just do some research on which cars in your country come stock with a FWD 6a12 other then the Galan and FTO.

BTW, have no clue if the 6a13 trans will bolt up, but it would be a closer match then a 4cyl trans :P

Sleepervr-4
03-06-2007, 09:52 AM
While doing the 5 speed swap this is a must if you plan to go turbo http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6663/lsd001oq8.jpg Teazer :D

peanotation
03-06-2007, 12:50 PM
how'd you get the 8 bolts off of the ring? impact gun?

seth98esT
03-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Impact gun is a must. Unless you put the diff carefully in a vice and have some muscles and a breaker bar.

Sleepervr-4
03-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Impact I have a compressor in the garage :D

bronxbombr
03-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Impact I have a compressor in the garage :D

Cosigned!!!

peanotation
03-06-2007, 03:23 PM
bastards!

bmxmike
03-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Ok figured out what all i need goin to need to grab from pull a part. Goin to try and grab it all out the same eclipse.

seth98esT
03-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Dude, just read the tutorial.

Blue Ice
03-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Impact gun is a must. Unless you put the diff carefully in a vice and have some muscles and a breaker bar.
I had an impact gun too. those eight bolts came of in a whtwhtwhtwhtwhtwizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 8)

bronxbombr
03-08-2007, 01:48 AM
I was trying to decide whether i should get the OBX, SB, or Phantom grip. Any input on these things?

Sleepervr-4
03-08-2007, 08:46 AM
slowboy or extremepsi one. They are made by the same company. The phantom grip has been known to fail from members of dsmtuners.

bronxbombr
03-08-2007, 01:26 PM
so i guess the phantom grip is out of my choices eh.

Sleepervr-4
03-08-2007, 01:54 PM
so i guess the phantom grip is out of my choices eh.

The phantom grip unit is also pricy compaired to the slowboy and extremepsi units.

peanotation
03-08-2007, 04:44 PM
they're all the same....essentially. i've heard of the phantom grip branded one failing here and there also.....havn't heard anything about the SBR one failing....mine's still kosher (knock on wood) since i put it in 8 months ago

Sleepervr-4
05-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Thought I might add this since people are having problems when using old shift balls and forks. If your shift fork doesn't look like this you need to adjust it with shims or you will have problems with your clutch.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclipsetech/clutch/armcentered.jpg

and this is the pic to adjust the pedal
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclipsetech/clutch/2g-clutchadjustment.jpg

3dmnbrand
08-19-2007, 03:12 PM
wut i did was go thru the p/n switch. you can permanently set the p/n switch to either park or neutral. this eliminates the need for a relay or clutch switch. i was even able to wire up the reverse light on the cluster when in reverse. just remember to replace the fuse with a higher amp. or it will just keep blowing!!! :lol:

bronxbombr
08-19-2007, 11:19 PM
wut i did was go thru the p/n switch. you can permanently set the p/n switch to either park or neutral. this eliminates the need for a relay or clutch switch. i was even able to wire up the reverse light on the cluster when in reverse. just remember to replace the fuse with a higher amp. or it will just keep blowing!!! :lol:

Never heard of changing with a higher amp fuse before, if your fuse keep blowing then theres a problem. I never had that happen before. Nor did i need to replace anything electrical with my swap.