PDA

View Full Version : project question (headlight/projectors)

DarkLateNight
08-25-2004, 11:39 AM
well, well it seems im stuck w/ the G, while I was at the salvage yard looking for something for my GF's maxima - came across a mazda millinia - no i dont want the supercharger (or do i? i dont think i can do anything w/ it honestly) but my question is the headlights and the foglights use projectors, they are of course non HID, but would look better retrofitted w/ HIDs than our regular old reflective lens' - depending on the price of them - would it be worth it just to rip out 4 projector lens' and the housing and maybe try to modify them in some way for a galant - this would definitely be a project, but im getting better w/ FG and i think i could work something out, you think it'd be worth a try - there is also a wrecked 8g out there, but its been f'ed up the a - its got one good chrome housing headlight and a few decent burgundy bodypanels and some beige interior stuff...

DarkLateNight
08-25-2004, 12:07 PM
somebody answer this b4 my class is over and i go back there

Reelax
08-25-2004, 02:55 PM
HID in a non HID OEM projector is not worth the effort of the retrofit, you might as well get your USDM housings retrofit w/ a bixenon projector from another car like an audi/benz/bmw (valeo). you can get a pair of real HID bixenon (hi/low) projectors w/ HID and selenoids from ebay or specialty lighting stores for about the same price as a H4 conversion kit. if you are going to retrofit, you might as well do it right. ASTIG's retrofit uses HELLA 90mm modules that cost way more than OEM as the units he used are actual race pieces; even though his projectors are not meant for HID, the HELLA units have VERY good optics so the the HID kit he added on did not yield a huge degredation in beam pattern, focus and cutoff... adding HID to mere OEM projectors would not give such great results.

peanotation
08-25-2004, 03:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>HID in a non HID OEM projector is not worth the effort of the retrofit, you might as well get your USDM housings retrofit w/ a bixenon projector from another car like an audi/benz/bmw (valeo). Â*you can get a pair of real HID bixenon (hi/low) projectors w/ HID and selenoids from ebay or specialty lighting stores for about the same price as a H4 conversion kit. Â*if you are going to retrofit, you might as well do it right. Â*ASTIG's retrofit uses HELLA 90mm modules that cost way more than OEM as the units he used are actual race pieces; even though his projectors are not meant for HID, the HELLA units have VERY good optics so the the HID kit he added on did not yield a huge degredation in beam pattern, focus and cutoff... Â*adding HID to mere OEM projectors would not give such great results.</div>

very true. since the 7G housings obviously weren't made for HIDs, i'm only getting like 60% of my HID potential. still a lot brighter and a hell of a lot whiter than halogen, but some suvs with halogens are brighter than my HIDs :? it sucks, but the 7G headlight housings are pretty shitty to begin with for halogens, and they especially suck for HIDs.

Cyniket
08-26-2004, 06:15 PM
I know this has nothing to do with HID's but I figured I would post about it since it does have something to do with headlights.

I bought some Sylvania Silver Stars and I can tell some difference, but not much, does anyone have any comparison pictures between stock and Silver stars?

DarkLateNight
08-27-2004, 12:23 PM
not being a jerk but please search my friend-