PDA

View Full Version : High Flow Cat Converter

rodt0331
09-07-2004, 05:48 PM
today i went to a muffler shop to do my dual exhaust and i also wanted a new High Flow Cat Converter the guy at the shop wanted to charge me $350 for a High Flow Catalytic Converter cause he said i needed a "specila one"( i forgot what exactly he said) is this true? does anyone know where can i get one at a better price?

Reelax
09-07-2004, 06:00 PM
you realize that he is probably charging you more since puting a hi-flow cat on a OBDII car in california is ILLEGAL unless your cats are broken or missing! the shop can get fined thousands for replacing stock cats w/ hi-flow aftemarket units. having said that, i had a hi-flow cat put on my car which we later removed because the ceramic cracked. when i get my next system, we are going to put another hi-flow cat back on. a high flow cat should cost you about $200 w/o installation.

rodt0331
09-07-2004, 06:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>you realize that he is probably charging you more since puting a hi-flow cat on a OBDII car in california is ILLEGAL unless your cats are broken or missing! Â*the shop can get fined thousands for replacing stock cats w/ hi-flow aftemarket units. Â*having said that, i had a hi-flow cat put on my car which we later removed because the ceramic cracked. Â*when i get my next system, we are going to put another hi-flow cat back on. Â*a high flow cat should cost you about $200 w/o installation.</div>

what's a OBDII ?

does it matter if my car is not register in cali and it is a fed specs?

pinoyesv6
09-07-2004, 06:34 PM
here the background of obdII http://www.obdii.com/background.html ('http://www.obdii.com/background.html')

BIGMONEYDAY
09-07-2004, 08:12 PM
I don't know what kind of hi flow you were looking at, especially for that price. But I usually see universal ones from places like Catco, for about $80. Here is a link to a place that sells cats made by Pacesetter for around $125.
http://www.dragonautomotive.com/universal_...rts/exhaust.htm ('http://www.dragonautomotive.com/universal_parts/exhaust.htm')
If I find the other links I'll post them, but I usually seem them in ads in performance mags like Import Tuner and Sport Compact Car.

ken inn
09-07-2004, 08:17 PM
if you want the best, random technologies. they are the best. some come close, but there is none better.

rodt0331
09-07-2004, 09:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken inn)</div><div class='quotemain'>if you want the best, random technologies. Â*they are the best. Â*some come close, but there is none better.</div>

would that be the best one for a V6?

Reelax
09-07-2004, 11:53 PM
guys, you are forgetting what he is actually paying for. he's paying for the shop to turn their heads. you guys in other states don;t have this headache and so you can get the pieces cheaper. CA shops that install hi-flow cats when ther is allready a working OE cat in place can get fined HUGE (the fine is somewhere in the thousands...it's the whole CARB nonsense). so the price the guy quoted him for the "special" cat is mostly for him to turn his head. they are very strict in CA; my bi-annual smog check runs about $300.00. i had a catco hi-flow cat and it went bad due to it banging on things when i bottomed out or on speed bumps.

mike969mb
09-08-2004, 12:13 AM
I know here in florida pedro (censee) paid 70 i think for a catco one installed. How much gain would you expect in a i4 and a v6 from adding one of these to your exhaust system?

Reelax
09-08-2004, 03:34 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike969mb)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know here in florida pedro (censee) paid 70 i think for a catco one installed. How much gain would you expect in a i4 and a v6 from adding one of these to your exhaust system?</div>

the gain is nominal (1hp-2hp) for replacing the main cat since the stock cat is pretty free flowing allready. the biggest restriction comes from the pre-cats that are on CALI SPEC cars. this is why the FED SPEC cars were always rated like 5hp-10hp higher than the CALI versions. you will see the biggest gain from eliminating the pre-cats on a CALI SPEC car. this is why they usually do dyno tests for headers and DP's on CALI SPEC cars.

Stylin_G
09-20-2004, 10:30 PM
the gain is nominal (1hp-2hp) for replacing the main cat since the stock cat is pretty free flowing allready. the biggest restriction comes from the pre-cats that are on CALI SPEC cars. this is why the FED SPEC cars were always rated like 5hp-10hp higher than the CALI versions. you will see the biggest gain from eliminating the pre-cats on a CALI SPEC car. this is why they usually do dyno tests for headers and DP's on CALI SPEC cars.

So basically it's pointless to get a Hi-Flow cat if you have a CALI spec, and that I should get a Header and a DP first, which would free some ponies?? and then i could get a Hi-Flow CAT. I've been looking at DC Sports and know of their header for the eclipse comming out soon... but are they gonna have a DP with that too?? I mean comming out with a DP? and also Where else can I find a good Hi-Flow cat besides that dragon site listed earlier.

Reelax
09-21-2004, 03:07 AM
a downpipe (dp) is simply the part of the headers that goes from the collectors to the catback exhaust. the dp is the part that has the catalytic converters on it. so, if you buy headers, you automatically have a DP. most headers have a highflow cat included as the latter part of the piping connecting to the catback exhaust piping.

here is a pic of my dp so you can see what i'm talking about:

http://www.raniworld.com/RAAA/115-1512_IMG.JPG