PDA

View Full Version : belt whine

mrteacha
09-08-2004, 05:30 PM
car had been acting like a spoiled biotch... at startup every single time regardless if the car was sitting for 2 minutes or two hours the belts whine for a few... they have been doing this for a while so i changed em all out... i even applied belt dressing to them , checked tension in them and they still scream when the car is first turned on ..any ideas

RedGalant2k1
09-08-2004, 09:01 PM
What happens when you turn your A/C on? Does the squeaking get worse?

8G_GTZ
09-08-2004, 09:20 PM
well, i recently had my belts replaced due to the same thing about 5-6 months ago. but it started doing it again about 3 weeks ago and i thought it would go away. but no it embarrassed the hell outa me at school or whetever. so i took it back to CarX and they just loosened the altenator so there was slightly less tension. but he told me it could take about 5hp to turn the altenator. but yeah, try that. and on the belt dreesing shit, just made more for me to clean up in the future. but everything is good right now.

steve

Darkkend
09-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Thanks im having the same problem, you saved me a used the search type of answer.

It squeals at start up, A/C and when turning.

about 2 weeks ago it was only the at start up and with the A/C on, now at start up regardless of a/c being on or not, and even louder when turning, but about 10 minutes after start up nothing.

Edit: i think i had the belts changed about a year or 2 ago (or at least was told they were)

Dark7GHawk
09-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Mine does the same thing, belts are 3 months old. Any ideas on fixing it?
Will loosening the alt belt help?

brandon
09-09-2004, 07:44 AM
We drive Mitsus, thus we have to suffer through the belt squeak. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Had all my belts replaced about 6-7 months ago and the squeaking started a couple days later... comes and goes depending on the weather ever since.

09-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Replace your belts and check for the proper belt deflection, I think it's a quarter inch for every 6 inches of travel.

mrteacha
09-09-2004, 08:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scootinintegra)</div><div class='quotemain'>Replace your belts and check for the proper belt deflection, I think it's a quarter inch for every 6 inches of travel.</div>belts were all replaced within a month.. everything else you lost me on deflection .......

oh yeah its mainly at startup and goes away after a while but sporatically starts up again for about a second or two then stops again i do also notice that on a number of occassions when turning it does the screaming also...about the alt tensioning it has to be decreased? and why would it squeal on turns isnt the power steering belt seperate from the alternator belt????

rfpa1
09-10-2004, 06:33 AM
You need to check the tension on the belts, specially if you have them replaced. After about 1 /1/2 months you need to check the tension because they will loosen up and strech. Also if you thingthen them too much they will make the belt noise. Go to a mechanic and use the belt tensioner, he can do this in about 10 minutes.