PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Line...

Livn2sk8
09-09-2004, 07:26 PM
I have a question....

One of the main lines that is connected to the Power Steering Reservoir...goes down....towards the front end...near the center of the car....goes down....does a u-turn...then comes back up...and goes on..to wherever it goes from there....

why is that line so long?

reason i'm asking is...my car has front end damage..and that line is pinched...I need a new one..but...can't I get one shorter? that isn't that long? I mean...is there a purpose for that HUGE U-TURN? seems like a waste of time and space to put it there...and if I wanted to put...oh...an FMIC...it might be in the way....

BlankMan
09-09-2004, 07:55 PM
That's an oil-cooler of sorts for your power steering fluid (oil). Go shorter and you'll run higher temps in the power steering pump which will lead to "premature failure"...

J

seth98esT
09-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Screw it, hook up a cooler inline with it and run shorter pipes. If you do any track or autocross power steering coolers help out a lot. Or just replace the small portion that got pinched with a few pieces of pipe and an adaptor or two.

Livn2sk8
09-10-2004, 07:06 AM
where can I get some kind of cooler to put inline? that sounds like the best idea....

thank for the advice guys!!!

JiP
09-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Summit and Jegs have some nice decent priced coolers. Any cooler, oil, trans..they are all the same you just have to pick how many passes and what size you want. If you ever plan to put in an oil cooler it would be a good idea to get the coolers that have 2 sets of lines which has 2 inlets and 2 outlets, one of which has like 4 passes and the other only 1 pass, use the 1 pass for PS and the other for your oil.

StreetDreams
09-10-2004, 10:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>Summit and Jegs have some nice decent priced coolers. Â*Any cooler, oil, trans..they are all the same you just have to pick how many passes and what size you want. Â*If you ever plan to put in an oil cooler it would be a good idea to get the coolers that have 2 sets of lines which has 2 inlets and 2 outlets, one of which has like 4 passes and the other only 1 pass, use the 1 pass for PS and the other for your oil.</div>

That's good info Jip. I didn't know that they made a cooler that would accept two lines. Thanks.