PDA

View Full Version : JDM HEADLIGHTS???

str8304
09-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Is it possible to clear the corners in the JDM headlights? If it's possible, how do i go about doing it? I don't think its like the USDM headlights, or is it?

Z
09-12-2004, 11:26 PM
2 piece JDMs already come clear if i'm not mistaken

Reelax
09-13-2004, 12:13 AM
http://www.raniworld.com/RAAA/JDMclose.jpg

for the one piece JDMs ('98+ VR4/Viento) you have to heat the adhesive, split the lights open, remove the amber lense which is held in by a single phillips screw, then reassemble the housing and re-seal them w/ silicone.

str8304
09-13-2004, 02:04 AM
ok, for the onepiece, when you say heat the adhesive....you mean like put it in the oven? if so, what temp and for how long? thanks

str8304
09-13-2004, 02:25 AM
any pics of this? i just got a new set and do not wanna mess em up

Reelax
09-13-2004, 05:15 AM
sorry no pics, i never took any when i did it. also i used a hairdryer to heat the glue. there is a way to do it in the oven but i don't know the temp and procedure. there should b some posts on this board for the correct temp and procedure to split the stock headlights and that should work. then you just gotta remove the lense and screw. it's not hard but just b careful and take it slow so you don't break any of the clips. btw, if u didn;y get one yet, you will need a JDM grill or front bumper w/o a grill since these headlights will not fit w/ the US grill.

str8304
09-13-2004, 06:55 AM
i have a bodykit from era1ng on the way...thanks

sj420
09-13-2004, 08:41 AM
if you're going to put it in the oven, set it at 200 (or lower if your oven goes that low) and only leave it in there for about 3 minutes or so. Any longer will expose more heat to the UNIT, and you may warp the unit when prying open. have a box cutter and a flathead screwdriver handy. start prying on one side and cut the stretchy warm glue while prying. have a friend help you do this and you'll be done in less than an hour. buy some marine sealant and seal up the lights when re-assembling.

if it's your first time, i recommend NOT putting the JDM's in the oven unless you're a very careful person. try it on some junkyard headlights first so you get the idea. or there's always the heat gun or blow dryer, but imo the oven is the best bet.

Da_MeXiKaN
09-13-2004, 09:25 AM
when I did my headlights i preheated the oven at 200 for about 10 minutes. Then I shut the oven off (be sure to do this so you don't ruin the headlight). I put the headlight on a cookie sheet and placed it in the oven for no more than 10 minutes. This will make them easy to pull a part. The key to doing l=this is to be patient. If you can't get it all the way off the fist time put it back into the still warm oven for another ten minutes.

I put them back together the same way. add adhesive if necessary but for the most part put them together and then put it back in the oven for the ten minutes, pull it out and press it together and hold it for about another five minutes.

Danger DANJ
09-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Yeah, the way Da_MeXiKaN explained is the way I did mine, only I put mine togther by hand and used a heat gun to loosen the glue so I could close the housings all the way. I didn't use any other glue, just what was already there and I've had no problems with condensation or anything. I've got to give credit to Astig though. He was the first person to open up his Galant headlights to retrofit some projectors using the oven method and made a tutorial.

pinoyesv6
09-13-2004, 02:40 PM
2 piece JDMs already come clear if i'm not mistaken

the 2 piece ones don't already come in clear. you have to make sure the set you have have the clear corner pieces. if not you'll end up with the amber corner pieces. and those amber corner pieces you can't clear out. you have to get the clear corner module

Zero_4073
09-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Did the same as Reelax. I used the oven method to get them open.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/568000-568999/568154_60_full.jpg

str8304
09-13-2004, 08:41 PM
thanks fellas...pray for ya boy...imma try it out and see...i hope i don't screw it up https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

galantv600
09-14-2004, 08:02 AM
say where u get ur jdms? nn kit?? any good shop in htown u can direct me to?

G-spot
09-18-2004, 01:43 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantv600)</div><div class='quotemain'>say where u get ur jdms? nn kit?? any good shop in htown u can direct me to?</div>

We tried that already. Seems that we could only get these outside the states. Go Ebaymotors!!!

str8304
09-18-2004, 03:28 PM
tim at racing evolution is hooking me up with a hell of a deal...its on west park and tangelwild...next door to ardbodies... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif if you go there, tell him phillip sent you and he will hook you up as well..i am getting my lambo door kit, suicide rear doors, bodykit plus moldng, tigershark fenders, shaved door handles,jdm heads and tails, plus paint all done for $1400..this by far is the cheapest i have seen around..

1. the kit alone to install with paint is $750-850
2. lambo kit with installation is $$1850 (but i already had the kit which i ordered from them for $1300..Installation is $350)
3. suicide doors is $800
4. body kit, i got from erac1ng, (but i could have got it cheaper through tim, but i was being hard headed) installation with molding is $750-850
5. shaved door handles with paint is $600

add it all up, it expensive as hell, but he always hooks me and my boys up..so, if you go there and tell him phillip sent you, he will hook you up as well.