PDA

View Full Version : idea

96MitGalantS
09-16-2004, 12:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/matticus0404/untitled.bmp
well, ive got an idea dont know if its possible. it will take some pretty crafty work but here it goes. is it possible to make the "GALANT" letters light up with the brake lights??? i think that would be wicked.

peanotation
09-16-2004, 01:26 PM
no, because the letters arn't transparent. if you could somehow make it so the light can shine through them, then yeah.

this will get you half of your goal, i know they make mitsubishi indiglow logos that are meant for your trunk. Rich had one, and a few other old members too. I havn't been able to find them on ebay, not like i would want to though.

mrteacha
09-16-2004, 09:58 PM
the GALANT logo on the taillights(if those are the ones you refer to ) they are stickys and as peano stated the key to get anything to light is to have transparency to be able to allow light through

mrteacha
09-16-2004, 09:58 PM
the GALANT logo on the taillights(if those are the ones you refer to ) they are stickys and as peano stated the key to get anything to light is to have transparency to be able to allow light through

96MitGalantS
09-17-2004, 02:11 PM
ok so heres my idea. i know about the transparency issue. thats one of the difficulties i was talking about. hers my idea.

-take off the rear strip across the bumer that has the GALANT letters

-carefully remove the GALANT letters

-flip the red reflective strip upside down leaving the part that will be facing street when put back on facing down

-place the galant letters on the back of the strip.

- to check if your laying them down right. grap a piece of toliet paper and a sharpie. write the word GALANT on one side. then flip it around. the result is your template. you will lay down the letters exactly how its shown on the toliet paper.

-spray paint black over the GALANT letters and surrounding area. (this will black everything out)

- the results when you lift up the GALANT letters should be the GALANT letters imprinted there but the surrounding all black

-insert light(s) whatever necessary behind the GALANT letters.

-put the strip back on

the end result will be no GALANT letters visble at all until the brakes are used. once you tap the Brake the GALANT letters will illuminate in sync with the brake lights...

any legalities against this??? and do you all think it will work.. in theory it sounds like it should work. the only problem i would have is the wiring. i can not wire anything at all...

heres some examples i made in microsoft paint. i dont have PS :oops:

brakes off:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/matticus0404/brakeoff.jpg

brakes on:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/matticus0404/brake.jpg

JiP
09-17-2004, 04:27 PM
doable but if you dont like the way it came out, you just spray painted the piece and your stuck with it now...someones gotta be a test monkey and see how it looks. =P

Dark7GHawk
09-17-2004, 07:22 PM
I have a spare rear middle section that I might be able to test this on.

My old one was faded and a bit scratched and missing the letters, so I got a replacement from Ebay.

I could use the new one to stencil the letters on and use 2 paints to change the center area.

My plan:

Seperate the backing from the red reflector.

Stencil the letters onto the backside of the red reflector and mask them off. Mask the ends of the thinner part so that the 2 ends and the words are the only places light can get out.

Spray matte black spraypaint on the inside of the red reflector. Entirely stock appearance from the outside but no light coming out of it except for the places on the end where it does anyways.

Wire a set of white LED's into the black backing to light the center words and using a diffuser made of white frosted plastic to even out the light.

Re-assemble with Black RTV silicone sealant.

BAMMMM!

Lit GALANT logo in center and normal appearance and workings from the outside, with the exception of the missing Words GALANT on the outside.

Later, using the same stencil pattern as underneath, I make a vinyl sticker from transparent but reflective material and place over the lit area. Unlit it would look reflective and show up in the day. At night it would reflect headlights, but glow whent he brakes are on.

What does everyone think?