PDA

View Full Version : What to know when RPW headers arrive?

schick
09-30-2002, 01:16 PM
A few questions for you mechanicgear-head types:

- Will the RPW header include a gasket?
If so, what kind? If not, what is the best kind to get? (copper or cardboard, what brand)
What other gaskets should we have ready?

- Should I replace the bolts that keep the header on the head with new bolts or even studs?
If so, what are the specs to use for getting new ones? (Thread pitch, size) I'd like to use something like ARP studs, do you know which ones, or kit, to get?

- what are the torque specs to use for installing the header? (many of us don't have a service manual, if you do know this, please help out your Galant bretheren)

flipz_ny79
09-30-2002, 10:20 PM
For the gasket type - I preffer copper gaskets. Iam not a mechanic or anything, but I work on aircrafts in the military and most of the gaskets from the jet engine exhaust system that I work with are copper.

FROM CHILTONS MANUAL :
INSTALLATION OF STOCK EXAUST MANIFOLD
- install a new gasket and install manifold. Tighten the nuts to in a crisscross pattern to 18-21 ft.lbs.
- install the heat shields and tighten the mounting bolts 10 ft.lbs.
- install new flange gasket and connect the exhaust pipe. Tighten the mounting nuts to 32 ft.lbs
- connect the negative battery cable and check for exhaust leaks.
( if anyone needs the removal procedures just ask ill post them )
NOTE : these are the procedures for the stock exhaust manifold :!:
HOPE THIS HELPS !!!

flipz_ny79
10-15-2002, 04:38 PM
I was just wondering if someone knew if these headers give enough clearance, as far as sticking out from the bottom, for them not to bottom out all the time :?: Ive got my car lowered with eibach pro kit springs.

Dark Anghell
10-15-2002, 10:56 PM
you should be fine, most of the headers are a bit lower. But you never know, I don't have anyone using RPW headers, so I can't tell you more info.

As long as you take it easy going up all the driveways, there's no need to worry. Also you have the middle piece with the engine mounts protecting your headers.

flipz_ny79
11-06-2002, 01:59 PM
I just got my RPW headers in, after trying to put it on I ran into a problem. The flex pipe woundnt bolt up to anything. I just thought the new flex pipe would bolt on to the second cat, but the flex pipe ended up about 15 inches short to bolt up. Instead of waiting again Iam just gonna bring it to a muffler shop and have them cut the stock flex pipe out and have them weld a flange on the old flex pipes piping for the new flex pipe to bolt on. I saw the pic vision imports put up, with the flex pipe bolting up to the cat. But my second cat is a lot further back then the galant they put the headers on. So iam assuming either the one in the pic or mine is a cali spec !!! Does anyone know if the one in the pic from vision imports is a cali spec or fed spec ??? THANK YOU !!! :?: