View Full Version : SHOULD I START OVER AGAIN ??

digital_ripper04
09-18-2004, 09:05 PM
Well I am not sure if I should go get everything I just lost again. If I do I would make a little steel case with a lock and bolt that down to put my screen in and then bolt my sub box down and I will always remember to take my face plate with me. Should I start over ??

Instead of getting 2 diamond audio 12's should I go for the JL W7 ? would a single w7 be better than 2 12's

pinoyesv6
09-18-2004, 09:44 PM
i'd start over. but i'd get like an alarm or some other type of security system before starting.

Mathas
09-18-2004, 09:49 PM
If you can afford to start over again, and you want to have the stuff in your car, do it.

But this time, be smart about it. Don't just cram as much "cool stuff" into your car as you can without thinking about security.

- Can you see your faceplate, screen mount, or x-box mount from the windows? If yes, get the windows tinted.

- Did you get that radar detector you were asking about a couple weeks ago? If yes, remove it when you get out of the car. If a thief doesn't know it's there, he can't be tempted to try for it.

- Don't have your system cranked up when you pull into places(school, the mall, etc.) You might as well just get vanity plates that say "STEAL ME".

- Bolt the sub box down and remember to remove the faceplate, like you said.

- Use specialized "tamper-proof torx" screws to mount your head unit, amp(s), and sub box. Most theives won't have the tools to remove that, or if they do it'll be that much longer it takes them to get your gear. The longer it takes them, the more effective the next suggestion is

- Get a good alarm system installed at a reputable shop, and make sure you get one with 2-way paging, battery backup(make sure both it, the alarm brain, and the underhood siren(s) are well hidden), and a couple of strategically-placed piezo sirens inside the car. Yes, a good thief can get around that stuff, but if it's installed correctly, he probably won't get around it before the alarm can send you an alert. At that point, you can either call the cops or run out and confront him yourself.

- Talk to your insurance companies about coverage for misc. equipment. Yah it'll cost more, but a lot of providers can either add that to your current policy or take out another policy just for the equipment. Keep all your receipts and take lots of pictures of the gear installed. Get that to the insurance company before anything happens.

Do all that stuff, and you should be fine just about anywhere. The whole point is to make it impossible to tell you have anything worth stealing. Then if you did the insurance step and the worst happens, you'll get at least some(or all) of the money back.

digital_ripper04
09-18-2004, 09:50 PM
for sure, help me out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting ('http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48611&item=5720545835&rd=1#ebayphotohosting')

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5720878804&rd=1 ('http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48611&item=5720878804&rd=1')

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting ('http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48611&item=5721313364&rd=1#ebayphotohosting')

what r u guys thinking ????????

Mathas
09-18-2004, 10:01 PM
I'm a huge fan of DEI alarms (the Viper one you linked). I have the Python version on my car, which is the same alarm only with black remotes.

But check with whatever shop you trust, and make sure they will install internet-purchased alarms. Some places won't. Also keep in mind that DEI alarms(Viper and Python, at least) have a limited lifetime warranty if it's sold and installed by an authorized dealer.

Personally, I think that's one area where it's just not worth being as thrifty as possible. Go to a shop, tell them what you want, and see what they'd charge. You should be able to get a solid 2-way DEI alarm, battery backup, battery backup siren, and a piezo or two... all of that, installed, for around $4-500. (more if you want remote start)

digital_ripper04
09-18-2004, 10:39 PM
if car concepts will install it, should I get it, its worth the money for can you suggest something a little better

Mathas
09-18-2004, 10:50 PM
if car concepts will install it, should I get it, its worth the money for can you suggest something a little better
Ask them what they would charge to install it, and ask them what they would charge for sales+install on one from their stock room.

I really wouldn't worry about saving $20-30 personally, when it's a choice between buying an alarm from an eBay seller or buying from a store. With the store you know it's a new product with all the parts in the box(unless you have some shady shops in your area), but you can't garauntee anything with online auction sales.

Plus there's the whole warranty issue.

digital_ripper04
09-19-2004, 03:21 AM
ya they wanted $300 just for a basic remote start so I can only imagine what they want for a decent alarm.

TITAN
09-19-2004, 11:50 PM
get one of those dash shades too. and evern put your cds way up under the dash on the passenger side, or under one of the seats, or in the trunk. put away EVERYTHING. even dollar bills. some people will look for anything!! ad of course all the other things that have been said previously. good luck dewd.

digital_ripper04
09-20-2004, 12:57 AM
well soon as I can find a place to do my front windows 15% that will be done and I will get a alarm soon as I get alot of suggestions (hint hint)
as for cds I dont have any, I just burn a new cd about every other day and throw the old one away :twisted:

for the alarm should I just get a beeep beeep alarm or one that pages me, are they worth it, I am so confused right now on what I want

TITAN
09-20-2004, 12:59 AM
well soon as I can find a place to do my front windows 15% that will be done and I will get a alarm soon as I get alot of suggestions (hint hint)
as for cds I dont have any, I just burn a new cd about every other day and throw the old one away :twisted:

for the alarm should I just get a beeep beeep alarm or one that pages me, are they worth it, I am so confused right now on what I want

holy shit dewd. the one that pages. damn. you will be notified within 2-3 seconds and you can fly out there whoop some arse. or call the cops, if u a little guy! :wink:

Mathas
09-20-2004, 01:32 AM
Get a 2-way alarm(one that pages). It will also "beep" to alert people nearby that something suspicious is going on, but a lot of people ignore that standard alarm sound anymore.

Your goal is either to make it as loudly obnoxious as possible so that it drawns a lot of extra attention to your would-be thief, or to get an alarm that notifies you when something happens.

Or both, which is the ideal solution. Add in my suggestions above, and you'll have an alarm that will alert you when something happens, grab lots of attention, and stands a decent chance of foiling him/her for long enough for you to respond to the alert.