PDA

View Full Version : What brake fluid can we use?

schick
09-30-2002, 02:43 PM
I searched, but found nothing.
What brake fluid does a 7G use?
Can I use something like Motul DOT 5.1 fluid? CLICK HERE to see what I'm talking about ('http://www.motorspot.com/dot51.html')
What about Motul RBF600? (equivelent to DOT4)

Kain
09-30-2002, 04:22 PM
Use DOT 4 or equivalant, don't bother with DOT 5 (at least I think that's the one...) Synthetic brakefluid is not really all that useful in a street car. It's very expensive, and you have to go through a tedious and time consuming process to swap over as "normal" and synthetic brake fluids are not compatable.

BEAST
10-01-2002, 06:14 PM
Isn't it DOT 3? That is what I've always used.

cantbeatmy97
10-02-2002, 05:09 PM
use dot3 cause if u go higher it will runnin yur brake lines and eventually put holes in it unless u change yur lines

TJC
10-02-2002, 07:54 PM
On most cars, DOT3 is standard. And you can use DOT4 or DOT5 in most cases too. But never mix DOT3 & DOT4 together; I think it has something to do with the combination of the two that make it not as effective. Always flush if going to the other unless it's DOT5.

schick
10-03-2002, 11:03 AM
Well, I'm going to install Goodridge G-Stop stainless steel braided lines (hopefully this weekend!). Gees... these were hard to find in stock, probably because they are the exact same as used on an Eclipse.
Going to bleed/flush to fluid with a good high performance DOT4 fluid, like Motul or Valvoline synthetic.

ALSO going to install Axxiss MetalMasters up front and paint the front and rear brakes with the G2 epoxy paint.

I'll fill y'all in on how this goes witha full review of each part!

TJC
10-04-2002, 02:49 AM
Well, I'm going to install Goodridge G-Stop stainless steel braided lines (hopefully this weekend!). Gees... these were hard to find in stock, probably because they are the exact same as used on an Eclipse.
Going to bleed/flush to fluid with a good high performance DOT4 fluid, like Motul or Valvoline synthetic.

ALSO going to install Axxiss MetalMasters up front and paint the front and rear brakes with the G2 epoxy paint.

I'll fill y'all in on how this goes witha full review of each part!

If you like Motul, I suggest getting the DOT 5.1. It's great and can be mixed with stock DOT3 and has a higher wet rating. I have it now and works great. I also suggest you pick up a set of SpeedBleeders to replace your brake bleeding nipples. It makes the job such an easy task and you can bleed your brake system yourself w/o having to rely on a partner. :wink:

schick
10-04-2002, 08:03 AM
Started last night on replacing the lines. I rounded one corner of a bolt and said screw it. Left the car up on jack stands and sprayed all the connections with penetrating fluid. I don't think the brakes have been touched in 60k miles.
I'm doing a full flush of the brake system because I bled a little bit of one of the rear drums and the stuff coming out looked pretty bad, almost brown.