PDA

View Full Version : Remote car starter. Any luck, advice?

jmonintwo
09-30-2002, 03:04 PM
I'm thinking of putting in a remote car starter. Has anyone put one in themselves? What brands are dependable? Installation advice?

Lazarus
09-30-2002, 03:53 PM
Drop off an email to my Boy Doug at [email protected] , Tell him that Corey told you to ask him about Remote starts and Alarms with the Remote start. he should be able to get you a good Price.

pinoyesv6
09-30-2002, 04:01 PM
i personally like the DEI alarms. on the bad side...they are only sold installed

Ghost Beat
09-30-2002, 07:00 PM
i got a full viper system put in a while ago with remote start included in it runs fine for me on those winter mornings where i dont feel like walking out and scraping the snow off of the windsheild

Tiller
10-01-2002, 12:41 AM
would a remote starter void any part of your warranty...?

pinoyesv6
10-01-2002, 12:46 AM
would a remote starter void any part of your warranty...?

it can...but if installed properly it shouldn't. i mean if the installer drills a hole thru the firewall and doesn't seal it properly and ur firewall rusts to death, then u can't claim it @ the dealer and stuff like that. just make sure u get a good installer to do the work

cdaw2001ES
10-01-2002, 08:05 PM
Any remote starter system will work, as long as you get a transponder bypass unit (DEI 555U) ((If your car is equiped with it)), It does require an extra key.
You can purchse DEI parts w/O installation.
http://www.autotechs.com/subcat21.htm ('http://www.autotechs.com/subcat21.htm')
http://www.audiowarehouse.peachhost.com/ct...t_PC3218455.htm ('http://www.audiowarehouse.peachhost.com/ct_PC3218455.htm')

hoosiers
10-01-2002, 09:36 PM
yeah you can purchase the parts without install but not the alarms themselves. If you buy a DEi alarm and do not have it installed by a dealer you will get NO warranty with it.

A_Gyrlz_Galant_on19s
10-03-2002, 11:12 AM
I got remote start with alarm, haven't had any problems and dealership didn't voic my warranty. I like it, its really nice especially in the cold a** winter and hot a** summer.
Its a great thing................

aliko
12-05-2002, 01:05 AM
I have installed bulldog remote starters which I got from Walmart and Sam's club on a few cars including my '94. They are pretty straight forward to install
withouth factory car alarm. The wires for door lock/unlock were hard to find on my '94 and hard to get to. That took me 2-3 extra hours to finish the job.
The bulldog unit works fine, their phone support is good. I didn't have to wait to talk to a technician who was knowledable and their website have all the wire diagrams for any cars which I like. The range on their standard remote starer is not so good. Without line of sight, you have to be pretty close to the vehicle to get it working, probably within 50 feet although it claims that it would work within 300-400 feet.

I went to Circuti City and installed a top of the line Audiovox Prestige APS995C remote starter/alarm last week. I was planning to do it myself but Circuit City only sold the unit with installation fee. The price for the unit + installation was $260 + $160 + around $50 for factory alarm bypass/installation. I spent a total of $550 including adding a remote trunk pop too. That's it for my Christmas present this year https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

I am impressed by the unit because it can program is many many ways, and it comes with 2 way remote control, so I can tell from the LCD screen on the remote if my car has been started, if my door is locked or unlocked or if someone try to break into my car. It also has timer, alarm clock, and can find out the temporature of my car remotely. The range is outstanding.
I was able to start my car from my 3rd floor office when my car was parked in the garage where I can't receive signal for my cellphone.

The installation was done pretty well, they include conduit for all wires in the trunk and under the hood. But the module wasn't mounted properly and fell off while I was driving. The trunk pop also wasn't mounted properly but I was able to fix them easily. I found out if I were to sell the car, they would unistall the unit from my car for free so that I can install it on another car. That's good to know. After seeing their work, I guess with some patience, I could do it next time too.

mrjaydeeone
12-05-2002, 02:07 AM
I got a crime stopper remote starter and alarm
just as good as the viper but better warranty...
I had a problem and they just pulled it out and installed new one...and thats da deal...lifetime...
I've had it 2 years now...awesome range.....as well...can start my car from my office, and have it running in the parking lot across the street...

Dominicano
12-05-2002, 09:01 AM
Once i get my rims i want to put an alarm and remote start. But didnt manybrew said we shouldnt add a remote start because of the transponder in our keys? so if the car is started remotely and you put the car in drive will it shut off???

Tiptronic
12-05-2002, 09:25 AM
right now i have one of those ols clifford intelliguard series alarms. they no longer run this line. talked to a clifford dealer to see what alarms on the market are in the same park as the one i have, and the guy told me none. see my alarm comes with a system called Black Jax, where the alarm is on even when im driving. damn i dont want to give it up, but if i cant get support for it, then whats the point. i hate that these fancy ass alarms only come with starter disable nowadays