PDA

View Full Version : Could rotors being out of round cause high speed vibration?

keithert
09-21-2004, 07:42 PM
I called a different Mitsu dealer today than my usual one to tell them about my high speed shake. The first thing the service writer said was that the rotors were probably out of round. My vibration is not when braking but primarily in the first 20 minutes the car is driven and only shows up at 65+. The dealer has replaced the tires and balanced them. Does it sound likely that rotors could cause the vibration even when cruising, not braking? Thanks.

bigbluetotoro
09-22-2004, 12:16 AM
"out of round??" heh it sounds kind of funny. i dont know if its the same thing sa warped rotors. but to me it sounds funny "oh no!! my brakes are out of round!" ...i'll shut up now.. :oops:

RED2KESV6
09-22-2004, 11:52 AM
I'm no mechanic, but if your rotors are warped (out of round) you'd be getting vibration or shaking when braking. How bad is the shake? You refer to the problem first as a "shake" and later as a "vibration". To me, a shake is a lot worse than a vibration. Did the dealer balance the wheels on or off the car? If the wheels were off, you might look for a place that can balance them on the car.

Dominicano
09-22-2004, 12:30 PM
there are only two things that will make your car wheels shakes (and the only reason you would feel your car shake because of a rotor is when you are breaking.)

1. the wheel is not properly balance

2. you have a bad allignment, maybe endlink needs to be replace (i seen that mentioned here before).

Now remember that your vibration can be comming from any of your four wheels, yes it will be worst upfront but the rear problems can also be felt like it comming from upfront.

leadfoot
09-22-2004, 10:12 PM
i had the same problem after i got my rims just get the rotors re-serfaced and you will be of just dont forget to tell them to tighten the E.B too.

keithert
09-23-2004, 09:28 AM
i had the same problem after i got my rims just get the rotors re-serfaced and you will be of just dont forget to tell them to tighten the E.B too.

What's an E.B.?

leadfoot
09-23-2004, 09:04 PM
emergency brake or the rear drums if you have a i4.