PDA

View Full Version : My automatic locks are f***ed up

BEAST
09-30-2002, 04:55 PM
My locks have been messed up ever since I got the car but they are getting worse. When I push the unlock button, it unlocks the doors for a second and then locks them all again. They only way you can unlock the doors is by holding down the lock button. When the front two doors are open and I unlock them, they will keep locking and unlocking really fast until the doors are shut even when I am not pressing the button.

manybrews
09-30-2002, 07:21 PM
there are a few common problems with the galant locks.
first are the front lock actuators themselves.. ive replaced hundreds for that very problem, and ill bet its your issue.

the second is a key cylinder switch that could be knocked off its cylinder, and stuck in the lock (or unlock) position.

id bet money on the first.

BEAST
09-30-2002, 08:06 PM
What do you suggest I do? Can I fix the problem myself? Like if I go to the junkyard can I get a new part to fix it.

G
10-16-2002, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the insight, do you have any idea what the dealer gets to replace one of these? Is this something I can do myself ya think? I had a probe once that had a motor go bad and all the dealers wanted $500 to replace it. After pulling the door panel off I realized why. On that car you were better off buying a whole new door because to fix it you have to drill out all the spot welds that hold the inner door skin to the outer. Dont want to go there.

BEAST
10-16-2002, 11:15 PM
That is exactly it. Your motor is bad I have already had to replace my front driver's side motor because of the exact same reasons. My back passenger window's motor is bad too. It only goes down about 3" before making that noise. I forgot how much it costed to get my motor fixed it was a couple hundred though. I had other things done with it so I forget the exact price.

pinoyesv6
10-16-2002, 11:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(G)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks for the insight, do you have any idea what the dealer gets to replace one of these? Â*Is this something I can do myself ya think? Â*I had a probe once that had a motor go bad and all the dealers wanted $500 to replace it. Â*After pulling the door panel off I realized why. Â*On that car you were better off buying a whole new door because to fix it you have to drill out all the spot welds that hold the inner door skin to the outer. Dont want to go there.</div>

i think the window motor assembly is about 150 dollars. uhm not sure if any other parts that your are gonna need but the dealer is gonna kick you in the butt for installation. i've replaced a rew of these myself. its possibly that you can do it but it takes time. most recently i replaced one, when i went to the junk yard to get parts, they installed it for me for like 20 dollars so that was worth it