PDA

View Full Version : 3000 VR-4 GTO Engine Swap Discussion

DryBear
09-28-2004, 01:42 PM
I was browsing the 3G Forums and read this thread:
http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5672 ('http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5672')

This particular reply was interesting:

you know i have been doing the same thing, looking into this particular motor swap, and it can be done without all the headaches that are being described in this post. if you were to look at the front and rear motor mounts, the front is in the same location and the rear is just an inch off where it needs to be. as for the side mounts you would have to move it from the passenger on our car, to the left and it would sit in there fine. The only drawback about our cars is that you would not be able to fit the factory turbo's in our engine bay because of the fact that you would not have clearance for the rear turbo. i have talked with a performance shop and they said that it can be done if you convert to a single turbo for better cost issues. If you want to leave it twin turbo, then what you need to do is put two smaller turbo's like the t-28 or a t-3, anything large than that you don't have the clearance in the rear. Also you will need a ecu from the vr-4 and the wire harness as well. about the whole tranny issue that is something that me and my performance shop haven't been able to figure out yet. mitsu doesn't make a six-speed that isn't all wheel drive, so you would have to use the five speed tranny. Second you can order the front end of 3000gto from japan for 1800, that include everything from the front bumper to the dashboard. you will get a complete motor, tranny, turbo, intercoolers, wiring harness, ecu, headlights, front bumer, motormounts, the whole thing. After pricing everything out with performance shop here that only works on 3000's and stealths they said that if i was to provide the motor, trany and wiring harness, and ecu, that they would do the install for 2g's. in which you would save about 1200 bucks versus the stage 3 sds kit for 5500. But at the same time i do agree with the other people that the stage 3 sds is a better value because you are looking at right about 400hp if not more by putting that kit on, where as if you do the swap you are spending about 4g's just to get to 300, because you would not have 320 due to the fact that the clearance in the rear is just not there for the 16g. But they tell me was that if i did the single turbo conversion with a bigger turbo that my output might be around 450 or so. But i was also told that the biggest issue i was going to have this swap was the troubleshooting. if anything should happen, via it break down or whatever, i'm limited to who i can take it to, and my cost for repair is going to be through the roof. So if you really want to do the swap it can be done, but you have to take in effect the issues i presented earlier.

I know that the Galant has a few more inches of clearance from the firewall than the 3G Eclipse, possibly negating the clearance issues mentioned above - what do you guys think?

ChikagoGTZ
09-28-2004, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I looked into doing this a while back as well, I saw a guy in Chicago that swapped the 3000GT engine into his Dodge Stratus...pretty nice.

Mante
09-28-2004, 02:12 PM
I know for sure that the US galant engine bay is almost 3 to 5 inches wider then the jdm/euro counter parts. This is because our 8gen did not come with the double wishbone suspension up front (same reason the front stb from my VR4 will not fit a 8gen us).

The 3000gt/stealth 6g72tt is sort of rotated towards the rear firewall which is the reason for not enough space for the rear td04 9b??

Realitically its much easier to just jump on the SDS setup cause we all know it works..right..right no argument there. To my knowledge its been only two attempts at motor swaps, neither being successful. The two motors that will drop into the us 8gen are:

-Galant Vr4's 6a13tt, you would also have to get your hands on the Mitsubishi FTO's FWD m/t trans or auto. If you currently have the Us V6 then no frame modfications have to be done. Use your wiringharness with a standalone EMS, add boost controller and a few other things..done.

If you have the Us I4 then you will have to either have 2" spaces welded between the subframe and chassis OR get some 2" spaces inbetween the same space that will just be held by the subframe bolts. The I4 will also require longer subframe bolts to compensate for that 2" increase. This requires getting the US V6 subframe (roughly 100 from junkyard) Us V6 wiring harness with a standalone EMS, add boost controller and a few other things..done.

I personally stopped my conversion once I needed money to begin the repairs on my Vr4 and its been money well spent :twisted:

-Lancer Evo 6,7 or 8, I have no clue what is needed someone by all means add the info..

ChikagoGTZ
09-28-2004, 02:17 PM
Holy tripple post Batman!!!!

Mante
09-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Holy tripple post Batman!!!!

I dont see nothing lol

ChikagoGTZ
09-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Hmm, it's gone....let me rephrase that...damn mods https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif lol

Mante
09-28-2004, 05:55 PM
If anyone has a spare or old/junkexhaust manifold gasket I can see if it matches theexhaust manifold from the 6a13tt. SO someone would be able to use the stock 6c's while cutting cost on custom work...

DryBear
09-28-2004, 10:08 PM
How far did you get with the VR4 conversion anyway? In reality, I have no funds to even think of such a major engine upgrade, but its always interesting to see the possibilities.

Mante
09-29-2004, 07:27 AM
How far did you get with the VR4 conversion anyway? In reality, I have no funds to even think of such a major engine upgrade, but its always interesting to see the possibilities.

Put everything back together including the 2" spacers, put the wired the motor up. Only thing left to do was get the haltech ex6 with the acessories. Check out my photos on yahoo under mante78

Edit:

If a local member ever continued with the conversion I'd gladly help out just for the sake of giving the us 8g a concrete step by step means of overall improvement.