View Full Version : Timing Belt change done -- but

RoOkS
09-29-2004, 07:32 AM
Hello all,

Decided not to go to a dealership in order to save some $$$. Got a mechanic to change the alternator/ac/timing belt. The alternator and timing belt is geniune mitsu. Plentium spark plugs and fuel filter changed too.
The mechanic took about 9am-2:30pm to finish the car. START UP !!
Belt noise is now gone!! thank goodness..... BUT
There;s noise coming from the timing belt that sounded like a card being pushed onto a fan. The noise increases as i accelerate.

The mechanic said this was 'normal' and told me to drive it around until the hydraulic adjuster automatically adjust this new timing belt and the noise would disappear. If not return to him in a week's time.

Now question..... is this guy having me on...i mean a week !!? ...and should i even be driving the galant when its making that kinda noise!?
Hope to get some advice : ) ..

paid $280USD for parts (timing belt,alternator belt, platinum sparkplug and $215USD for labour. cheap2 ? hehe

-thanks all-
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif :shock:

4-G-rim
09-29-2004, 11:13 AM
A noise like a card is being pushed into a fan?

I haven't heard of anything like that being "normal" after doing a timing belt change...that right there sounds odd. Are you sure that the timing cover isn't rubbing againts any of the gears like the camshaft gear, balance shaft gears, crankshaft gears, etc etc? It definitely sounds like its rubbing against a rotating part since it increases as your accelerate.

RoOkS
09-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the response 4-G-rim...guess i wont be taking it anywhere but back to the mechanic. : )
Sound is like a playing card being pushed into a fan.....type of sound. : P :roll: